Paid for OHL draft

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
Last i checked water is still wet and the sun is still hot...nothing to look at here

The only thing i hope is that the investigation may help players commit to the team that drafts them...timing of the announcement is everything!

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
People may disagree but to me this is a complete non-story. Look at every teams 14/15th round picks and it's littered with names of brothers/sons of guys who used to play for that team or currently work in the org. I'd rather my team make $30 grand for a favour than just draft Eric Lindros' nephew because its Eric Lindros' nephew lol

• Haha
Reactions: Coaches Coroner

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Ok...someone help me on what the end-game is for the parents who pay $30Kish to a team. Is it so they can parlay that "drafted" status into a good spot on another team? Paying the money doesn't mean they'll ever make the OHL and while they'd be invited to the draft/training camp, they still have to be good enough to make the team right? I don't think this is saying that someone is buying a spot on a roster, just buying a spot on the draft board which means absolutely nothing. If the Spirit wanted to sell their 13th-15th picks for $35K each, I'd honestly be happy because I think they'd turn around and spend that money on the team somehow.

So, hopefully someone can help me, what would be the reason to pay this money?

If they’re looking into this, they should look into the Spitfires selecting the Parekh’s a few years back LMAO.
No idea the details of this but is this a relation to Zayne Parekh for the Spirit?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
People may disagree but to me this is a complete non-story. Look at every teams 14/15th round picks and it's littered with names of brothers/sons of guys who used to play for that team or currently work in the org. I'd rather my team make $30 grand for a favour than just draft Eric Lindros' nephew because its Eric Lindros' nephew lol

But if it uncovers $$$ paid to have a player end up on a roster, then it’s a story….

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Ok...someone help me on what the end-game is for the parents who pay $30Kish to a team. Is it so they can parlay that "drafted" status into a good spot on another team? Paying the money doesn't mean they'll ever make the OHL and while they'd be invited to the draft/training camp, they still have to be good enough to make the team right? I don't think this is saying that someone is buying a spot on a roster, just buying a spot on the draft board which means absolutely nothing. If the Spirit wanted to sell their 13th-15th picks for $35K each, I'd honestly be happy because I think they'd turn around and spend that money on the team somehow.

So, hopefully someone can help me, what would be the reason to pay this money?

No idea the details of this but is this a relation to Zayne Parekh for the Spirit?
Yep - father was going to buy the Spitfires, before the sale went through, the Spits drafted his 2 sons.
Sale of the team fell through after that...

Reactions: Spits1963

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
And it also inevitably will impact that kid that could have a chance -- even if its late round - to play in the OHL and get a scholarship -- where the $$ to play kids very likely never needed that

Reactions: BigHitter67

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
But if it uncovers $$$ paid to have a player end up on a roster, then it’s a story….
Again maybe I’m naive but I don’t see that happening. Then you end up with a team that’s really, really bad and you’re fired anyways

And it also inevitably will impact that kid that could have a chance -- even if its late round - to play in the OHL and get a scholarship -- where the $$ to play kids very likely never needed that
If they’re going that late, they’re better off not getting drafted and signing as a FA to their preferred spot anyways, so they’d be doing them a favour

yessir29292

Dec 11, 2021
Again maybe I’m naive but I don’t see that happening. Then you end up with a team that’s really, really bad and you’re fired anyways

If they’re going that late, they’re better off not getting drafted and signing as a FA to their preferred spot anyways, so they’d be doing them a favour
Yeah going undrafted is better than being a 15th rounder without a doubt. Still can get invited to a camp and have a chance to make 60 teams instead of 1.

Reactions: rangersblues

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Yeah going undrafted is better than being a 15th rounder without a doubt. Still can get invited to a camp and have a chance to make 60 teams instead of 1.
And you get to pick which team you go to (pick someone with not much depth in your position) instead of this draft getting drafted 15th round to Saginaw and know they’re hosting the Mem Cup so you have 0.0% chance of making the team

Reactions: rangersblues

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Kid can play u18 and get selected in u18 draft; kid can play jr and be drafted in the next OHL priority draft; kid could get passed over for 2 years and sign with an OHL team as a free agent.
360 kids are drafted each spring. There are not a lot of kids going undrafted and unsigned the could earn an OHL education package

Reactions: flamebird

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
The "Friends and Family" draft picks often go to locals who won't cost an arm and a leg to have at camp. I think the story will be players who would have been mid-round selections that moved up very high because of cash. There are also the players who leave their residential Branch to "move" to the GTHL just for draft reasons. That can be very expensive as well with no guarantees at the end.

Reactions: OMG67

ColtsNLeafs

Jul 20, 2022
This has been happening for years I think. Even without money exchanged there is always politics. Look at the later round over the years and the names drafted are often tied to the team (owners, coaches, scouts, etc sons). Heck it even happened in last years NHL draft with the Pens. They drafted Matt Devlin (Raptors PXP voice) son in the 6th round. He was on no rankings list. He's playing in the BCHL this year and has 11G in 51 games. You can't tell me he was deserving of that pick over probably 100s of others

Reactions: flamebird

bigsportsfan

Sep 28, 2012
Its one thing to have a player drafted in the 15th round as a favour to an agent who helped bring another player to the team. It's quite another thing to get paid $30k to draft a player in the early middle rounds when you could have drafted a legitimate player who may have had a shot at making the team. I think that is likely what we are talking about here.

Reactions: OMG67

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Its one thing to have a player drafted in the 15th round as a favour to an agent who helped bring another player to the team. It's quite another thing to get paid $30k to draft a player in the early middle rounds when you could have drafted a legitimate player who may have had a shot at making the team. I think that is likely what we are talking about here.
Let's be honest here, how many 15 round draft picks have a legitimate shot at making an OHL roster?

Reactions: bobber

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
Kid can play u18 and get selected in u18 draft; kid can play jr and be drafted in the next OHL priority draft; kid could get passed over for 2 years and sign with an OHL team as a free agent.
360 kids are drafted each spring. There are not a lot of kids going undrafted and unsigned the could earn an OHL education package
Yeah sure- but one shouldn't be impacted due to a situation where someone is getting $ to draft a player. I'm not naive to think that this hasn't been happening at all levels in some capacity - but that doesn't mean something shouldn't be done.

Greys

Dec 18, 2021
Rhetorical. But what if it is a not 15th rounder who will never play. What if is a legit 1st, 2nd, 3rd rounder who wants to go to team A, B or C, where he is more likely to get an NHL draft or is a university town, and wants to avoid team X, Y or Z. Is that OK?

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Rhetorical. But what if it is a not 15th rounder who will never play. What if is a legit 1st, 2nd, 3rd rounder who wants to go to team A, B or C, where he is more likely to get an NHL draft or is a university town, and wants to avoid team X, Y or Z. Is that OK?
I think in the case of a 1st,2nd,3rd round pick teams at that point are looking our for the best interests of their teams

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010

There are plenty of teams that are consistently "really, really bad".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad