p88/p40 to p28 transition

Philip Kessel

Jun 10, 2015
I want to try out a p28 but dont want to buy it and not like it. I've used p88 for at least last 5 years. Pretty much looking for feedback from anyone who has used both curves or made the transition p88 to p28.

Bondoao1

Oct 4, 2009
SoCal
I went from a Tacks w/ P40 to a Ribcore w/ P28 and it didn't take me long to adjust to the P28. It did for some reason take me a while to adjust back to a P40.
Since I have both sticks, I got used to switching back and forth depending on what position I'm playing. Typically I use the Tacks P40 if i'm on D, and Ribcore P28 if I'm playing up on wing.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
If you don't already shoot from the toe or pull from the toe and snap, the transition may be difficult. I switch between P92 and P28 all the time and don't have to change mechanics at all since they are fairly similar curves in many ways.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
If you don't already shoot from the toe or pull from the toe and snap, the transition may be difficult. I switch between P92 and P28 all the time and don't have to change mechanics at all since they are fairly similar curves in many ways.

Yep, pretty much this. The P28 is the new hotness. If it's suited towards your game, you'll love it. If it's not, you'll probably hate it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the new P30 supposed to be like the P88 but with a toe that's more open like the P92/P28.

Maybe that would be less of a transition.

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
Ive fallen in love with Jamie Benns pro stocks which are a p92 with a toe kink at the end, not exactly a p28 but it took me 5 shots to get used to and I havent looked back since.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I want to try out a p28 but dont want to buy it and not like it. I've used p88 for at least last 5 years. Pretty much looking for feedback from anyone who has used both curves or made the transition p88 to p28.

Have you ever used the P92? I'd use that one while making the transition from a P88 to a P28 first.

Philip Kessel

Jun 10, 2015
Have you ever used the P92? I'd use that one while making the transition from a P88 to a P28 first.

I dont like the openness of p92 compared to p28. P28 seems a bit more like p88 with an agressive toe whereas p92 has a lesser toe curve but is a bit more open and I don't like open blades. I think I could adapt and get used to either one but I think p28 would benefit my shooting style. I'm just gonna try a buddys p28 before I make a purchase. thx

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I dont like the openness of p92 compared to p28. P28 seems a bit more like p88 with an agressive toe whereas p92 has a lesser toe curve but is a bit more open and I don't like open blades. I think I could adapt and get used to either one but I think p28 would benefit my shooting style. I'm just gonna try a buddys p28 before I make a purchase. thx

My stick collection consists of P92s and P28s and from what I see and feel, the p28 is just p92 with the pocket moved up towards the toe. They're both open curves, and if you line the two blades up they'll fit into one another like spoons.

If you don't like how the p92 opens up, then I get the inkling that you're not going to like the p28. It makes the puck go up even more than the p92. When I first started using the p28 all my shots sailed at least a foot over the next before I adjusted.

Montgomery81

Aug 6, 2015
Oklahoma City

I was a P88 user for years, then tried moved to the P92 curve for a couple of seasons. Wrist shots were loftier, scored a tad more goals with the P92, but felt I was a little more accurate with the P88.

Last season I used Easton's E28 curve and loved it, go figure. Definitely takes some getting used to as I would send my wrist shots over the net, but when you get a hold of a shot, you really get a hold of it. One of the more underrated aspects is catching and controlling passes. The toe curve on the E28 really graves those passes, and cradles the puck very well, IMO.

I now use a Bauer Nexus P92 and Easton Synergy E28 as my main sticks, with a Supreme P88 and True TC4 as my backups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad