Series Talk: (P2) Los Angeles vs. (P3) San Jose

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Both are horrible contracts. Good luck getting rid of either of them.

So far as the public knows, at least Gaborik's contract is tradeable. Brown has an 8 team list. Gaborik is signed til he's 39 and Brown til he's 37. I wouldn't be surprised if someone took a shot on Gaborik. When he's in the lineup, he's fairly productive even though he had a bad year this year.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
ESPN insider article about why the Sharks should be considered the favorites in the Western Conference to make it to the SCF. http://espn.go.com/nhl/insider/story/_/id/15352733/why-san-jose-sharks-win-western-conference-nhl

Can anyone with access through the paywall give us a summary of the reasoning?

Basically the obvious reasons.

Couture's 2 way skill
Better depth scoring from forwards like Donskoi and Ward
Jones in goal (Improved goaltending)
Beating the Kings after the 2014 playoff fiasco
Getting more rest after beating the Kings in 5

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
If we are going to win, this is the year. We need to get it done.

Kind of a sobering thought. I don't know if DW could make strong enough moves to make up for further marleau decline and potential jumbo decline.

But one of SJ Dallas STL Ana/nsh WILL be in the finals. We are one of 4 teams that could play in the finals. No major boogeyman like Kings or Chicago in our way.

We can't claim poor match ups or injuries (yet). We can't say the team was poorly coached or built.

If it doesn't get done with a third coach and this core. It's on DW and the players and we will have to resign ourselves to waiting on jumbos retirement for another swing at it. Imo at least.

There is a chance jumbo remains a 70 point center and pp qb though and burns and pavs show no signs of decline so we can certainly retool AGAIN and try.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
If the team doesn't win this year, then it just means that the team didn't play good enough but I also think that the Cup is a bit of a toss up this year. Any team left has a reasonable argument for them to go the distance.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
If the team doesn't win this year, then it just means that the team didn't play good enough but I also think that the Cup is a bit of a toss up this year. Any team left has a reasonable argument for them to go the distance.

Yeah we need to take advantage of this chance, we might not get another chance at the cup for a while

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Kind of a sobering thought. I don't know if DW could make strong enough moves to make up for further marleau decline and potential jumbo decline.

But one of SJ Dallas STL Ana/nsh WILL be in the finals. We are one of 4 teams that could play in the finals. No major boogeyman like Kings or Chicago in our way.

We can't claim poor match ups or injuries (yet). We can't say the team was poorly coached or built.

If it doesn't get done with a third coach and this core. It's on DW and the players and we will have to resign ourselves to waiting on jumbos retirement for another swing at it. Imo at least.

There is a chance jumbo remains a 70 point center and pp qb though and burns and pavs show no signs of decline so we can certainly retool AGAIN and try.

I happen to think the Sharks might be even better next season.

1. Thornton will be great again. But he could fall off a bit. No worries cuz…
  2. Pavelski will surprise people again
  3. Hertl will be better
  4. Burns will be as good, if not a slight fall-off
  5. Vlasic is as good as ever
  6. No worries about Braun
  7. Martin can continue to play mediocre during the regular season and be supportive
  8. Ward can do the same
  9. Marleau will probably be about the same. Could improve though. He's had ups and downs before.
  10. Demelo will be better
  11. Mirco will have another shot
  12. Donskoi is an NHL rookie, btw
  13. Tierney will be better
  14. Goldobian!
  15. Is it Timo time?
  16. Oh yeah, Martin Jones will be 26 and in his 2nd season as a starter.

Last edited:

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
And take a look at what the Ducks and Kings have to do in their offseason. That's the competition, and they got upcoming issues.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley

3. Hertl will be better
  7. Martin can continue to play mediocre during the regular season and be supportive
  8. Ward can do the same
  9. Marleau will probably be about the same. Could improve though. He's had ups and downs before.
  14. Goldobian!
  15. Is it Timo time?

Agreed. The only players we're likely to lose are our TD acquisitions. Not only will our team still be strong again, there's nothing stopping us from loading up again next year. We've got to find another backup and do some cap magic, but in DW I trust :)

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

3. Hertl will be better
  8. Ward can do the same
  14. Goldobian!
  15. Is it Timo time?
  16. Oh yeah, Martin Jones will be 26 and in his 2nd season as a starter.

That is being optimistic. Odds are, the rookies/kids will get better (though there is the sophomore slump). Odds are, Meir and Mueller won't make the NHL. Marleau is heading on a downward path; Ward and Martin aren't getting any younger. Burns and Vlasic just had career years, which usually points to a bit of "regression" the next year. Chances are Pavelski maintains. Actuarially, Thornton is set for a downturn, but he went the other way this year, so I could say on an individualized prediction, he will maintain into next season.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
That is being optimistic. Odds are, the rookies/kids will get better (though there is the sophomore slump). Odds are, Meir and Mueller won't make the NHL. Marleau is heading on a downward path; Ward and Martin aren't getting any younger. Burns and Vlasic just had career years, which usually points to a bit of "regression" the next year. Chances are Pavelski maintains. Actuarially, Thornton is set for a downturn, but he went the other way this year, so I could say on an individualized prediction, he will maintain into next season.

I don't even think you're disagreeing with anything I said, just rephrasing it glass-half-empty.

1. Donskoi and Demelo are the only sophomores. They're both adults and paid their dues.
  2. I don't expect Timo to arrive. I do expect Mirco to return.
  3. Marleau is up in the air. I said the same. I don't expect a further drop off though. I think he holds.
  4. Ward and Martin will be a year older, but only a 2nd year with the team. Look at their career games played. Marleau has the same amount on his legs as those two combined.
  5. Burns and Vlasic could both regress and still remain class defensemen of the West.
  6. People have been predicting Pavelski's demise for like 4 seasons now. He's amazing.
  7. Thornton will be great again, because he is really good, and his line mates are good too.

ScottyDont

Aug 30, 2010
Philly (<3 in SJ)
I don't even think you're disagreeing with anything I said, just rephrasing it glass-half-empty.

1. Donskoi and Demelo are the only sophomores. They're both adults and paid their dues.
  2. I don't expect Timo to arrive. I do expect Mirco to return.
    [*]Marleau is up in the air. I said the same. I don't expect a further drop off though. I think he holds.
  3. Ward and Martin will be a year older, but only a 2nd year with the team. Look at their career games played. Marleau has the same amount on his legs as those two combined.
  4. Burns and Vlasic could both regress and still remain class defensemen of the West.
  5. People have been predicting Pavelski's demise for like 4 seasons now. He's amazing.
  6. Thornton will be great again, because he is really good, and his line mates are good too.

Next year I'd like to see more of Marleau with some better players. Put him with Couture and Donskoi and he might have quite the rebound year.

Intent

Dec 30, 2015
San Jose
Next year I'd like to see more of Marleau with some better players. Put him with Couture and Donskoi and he might have quite the rebound year.

I disagree with this. While Donkey and Couture are fantastic, their usage is likely to remain as the shutdown or matchup line. I think that alone would be detrimental to Marleau's production. The dude will be 37, let's not expect miracles here. He does need better line mates tho, Ward and Nieto need to be created for, in much the same way as Marleau. That line I don't ever see producing too much. Perhaps Marleau and Tierney would work? Or if our dreams come to fruition and Goldobin can drive play as a creator they get paired.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY

Completely disagree about the poor match up's statement. I think we match up very poorly against St Louis, despite some of our regular season success. Their tight defense and keeping pucks to the perimeter is the type of stuff that could kill us. I think we can beat them but they are a team I wouldn't look forward to playing. Also, not winning this year has no meaning towards the results of next season. I hate when people act like if we don't win this year we can never win again while (player) is in the NHL.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Completely disagree about the poor match up's statement. I think we match up very poorly against St Louis, despite some of our regular season success. Their tight defense and keeping pucks to the perimeter is the type of stuff that could kill us. I think we can beat them but they are a team I wouldn't look forward to playing. Also, not winning this year has no meaning towards the results of next season. I hate when people act like if we don't win this year we can never win again while (player) is in the NHL.

i dont really get this. where exactly do we not matchup well?

just because they play good defense? doesnt seem like a good justification.

now in 2012 against the blues when we were slow and they played trap hockey. bad matchup.

when we played chicago we couldnt match their skill.

vancouver had a bigger team than us and wore us down.

but them playing good D isnt a poor matchup concern imo.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I am not getting this must-win this season attitude either. The next season for Jumbo and Pavs may not be the same as this year but I don't think the drop off will be that significant.

I expect Goldobin to contribute. Pattys contribution will remain about the same. Donskoi will most likely get better. A full season from Couture would help too. Jones will probably get better.

I don't know where all the must-win is coming from?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad