Series Discussion: (P1) Anaheim Ducks vs (WC1) Calgary Flames

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
On the micro level, this sucks. We keep losing some pretty tough games to lose.

On the macro level, there is a lot to like. 2 years ago they ran us out of the rink. Now, 5 on 5, we look like the better team.

Monahan has been dominant. Bennett has looked good. Gaudreau looked dominant at times, although he's got to shoot more obviously. Ferland is looking like he's just too fast and too strong to be stopped. Gio is back to playing like a top 5 dman.

There is a lot to like. This team is headed in the right direction.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
On the micro level, this sucks. We keep losing some pretty tough games to lose.

On the macro level, there is a lot to like. 2 years ago they ran us out of the rink. Now, 5 on 5, we look like the better team.

Monahan has been dominant. Bennett has looked good. Gaudreau looked dominant at times, although he's got to shoot more obviously. Ferland is looking like he's just too fast and too strong to be stopped. Gio is back to playing like a top 5 dman.

There is a lot to like. This team is headed in the right direction.

100% agree with this, I feel like in the grand scheme this might be the best possible series to learn from. The Flames are only going to improve going forward, whether that's by coming back and winning this series, or losing and adjusting as time goes on.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Should the Flames shake up their lines?

IIRC the last time we beat the Ducks these were the lines we rolled:

Gaudreau-Bennett-Chiasson
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Monahan-Brouwer
Ferland-Stajan-Hathaway

we won that game 8-3.

Getting Gaudreau away from Monahan and vice versa was probably the difference as they couldn't key in on both of those two players at the same time... it was one or the other.

I would personally like to see something really out-there, like

Frolik-Backlund-Chiasson
Gaudreau-Bennett-Tkachuk
Ferland-Monahan-Versteeg
Stajan-Jankowski-Lazar

though I know that's a pipe dream for our team who never mixes it up until it's too late. Even Bouma-Stajan-Lazar would work for me on that fourth line though.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I would not split Bennett from Versteeg. They've had good chemistry as of late.

I don't we should change much tbh:

Gaudreau-Backlund-Ferland
Tkachuk-Monahan-Frolik

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
So we call up Janko just to shove Stajan to the wing on the 4th.

Brilliant. This is why we talk about you behind your back.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015

Third guy rips on Bouma too.

Garrett: "Why are we doing this? It'll be all Leafs and Blue Jackets. We'll be on the Web"

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Thought this was pretty funny

27VDbGj.jpg

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
I don't know if GG has learned anything from the CGTY-VAN series.

Ferland is capable of wreaking havoc on the forecheck, instead he has him playing more timid, conserving energy on perimeter shots because apparently he's a sniper now, on a line with Monahan no less.

Tkachuk has been neutered since the Doughty incident because neither the coach nor the players (save Engelland) had his back. Kid's probably wondering why bother sacrifice the body if all I get is an earful from coach and a couple of guys to fight all on my own.

Johnny looks timid because no one cares when he gets slashed and injured.

Hell, no one stepped up when Manson beat up Giordano, our captain. Humiliated, removed from the ice for 5 mins, could have been injured on top of that. No one bats an eye. Bouma doesn't give a crap, Brouwer has checked out.

GG wants them to be "focused" but has them playing timid and disinterested instead.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
So we call up Janko just to shove Stajan to the wing on the 4th.

Brilliant. This is why we talk about you behind your back.

Here's a Kanye hot take: why should anyone care at all what you or anyone you talk to thinks? Pretty funny actually that you trotted this out as an "insult".

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
If I were Gulutzan, I would strongly consider making some lineup changes. Not for poor performance in many cases, but to ice a lineup that is more competitive in a couple areas.

I don't think many guys who could be taken out of the lineup have been poor at all, but adjustments are the name of the game in the playoffs.

Up front, Lazar could bring some energy and additional speed to the bottom line, as I don't feel they have been overly effective on the forecheck and none of Bouma/Stajan/Brouwer are speedsters, the slight upgrade offensively would just be a bonus. Freddie was a near 60% faceoff guy (across ~120 draws) plus showed that as one of his strengths in preseason, so I think it's pretty obvious what his contribution could be if he drew in. Likely wouldn't play C, but you could get crafty with his usage and have him take some draws.

I wouldn't expect both guys to draw in (probably not likely either does), as I honestly can't think of two guys up front who warrant being taken out at this point.

On defence - this might not be popular - but I'd bring Wideman in. I, like most, wouldn't want to see a Engelland/Wideman pairing, but I do feel Wideman is an upgrade on Bart. This would mean working in more of a rotation than in pairs. The 3rd pair is going to be our weakness no matter what combination we use back there, so I'd play Gio, Brodie, Hamilton, and Stone heavy minutes while mixing Engelland in with Gio, Brodie and Hamilton while playing Wideman sporadically with Brodie, Gio and potentially Stone.

We've had a hard enough time moving the puck from D to our forwards, and Bart doesn't add anything in that department, while Wideman does. Especially since Bart handles the puck like a hot potatoe consistently.

Last edited:

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
Here's a Kanye hot take: why should anyone care at all what you or anyone you talk to thinks? Pretty funny actually that you trotted this out as an "insult".

Thanks.

But back to the topic at hand. Let throw a brand new rookie into the thick of NHL playoffs and shove a reliable 4th line center to the wing because of massive homerism.

Take a ****in' lap. This isn't NHL17

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Notice that all those teams with 10+ game winning streak are not doing so good in the playoff...

Do not go on long winning streak :sarcasm:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Ferland is capable of wreaking havoc on the forecheck, instead he has him playing more timid, conserving energy on perimeter shots because apparently he's a sniper now, on a line with Monahan no less.

Tkachuk has been neutered since the Doughty incident because neither the coach nor the players (save Engelland) had his back. Kid's probably wondering why bother sacrifice the body if all I get is an earful from coach and a couple of guys to fight all on my own.

Hell, no one stepped up when Manson beat up Giordano, our captain. Humiliated, removed from the ice for 5 mins, could have been injured on top of that. No one bats an eye. Bouma doesn't give a crap, Brouwer has checked out.

GG wants them to be "focused" but has them playing timid and disinterested instead.

Agreed on Bouma and especially on Brouwer.

But really you think the Flames can goon it up with anybody?
They are not built for it

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I disagree. Keep Stajan at center where he has experience. Calling up a rookie who has 1 NHL game to play tough minutes isn't a good idea.

Fixed that for ya.

Anyways. I'd definitely play that clip for the team. Down 2-0, gotta light a fire under them somehow.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

I miss McGrattan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad