P.K. Subban Thread - Mk III - Unsigned Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habtchum*

I find it hilarious that you and some others are completely fine with Gorges calling out PK on his contract negotiations. You don't mess with players money.

Gorges yaps a lot and seems to get a pass for it.

You prefer Markov's answer:"Next question". ?

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I heard a deal is done and PK is Montreal and it won't become public until opening lineups are announced. Any truth?

My buddy told me this, prolly full of ****.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Why does one of the headier Oilers bloggers disagree with you? From the comments of this article : http://www.coppernblue.com/2012/7/29/3196635/pk-subban-is-a-bad-person-and-oel-is-a-wimp , the author notes that it would cost the Oilers MORE than Eberle to acquire Subban. I would presume this particular author knows more about Eberle than you do, and just as much, if not more about Subban. Suggestion for further reading : http://www.coppernblue.com/2012/4/12/2943259/young-defenseman-comparisons-nhl

It seems the oilers blogger knows what he's talking about.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
You prefer Markov's answer:"Next question". ?

I do. Players don't owe the media anything. They also don't need to be talking about player contract disputes publicly.

I really don't care if people don't like PK in the dressing room. You don't make it public.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I might be biassed since I'm disappointed he could not find a way to come to terms with the Habs. I have no idea what the reason is and neither does anybody on here. Gorges coming out and saying a few words shows he's also disappointed. I agree this could be his own personal feeling right now but it could also reflect what others are thinking. You may think that this line of reasoning is biased, but I don't. If it turns out Gorges is not the only one feeling this way perhaps this explains why there's no deal yet. I'm getting ripped apart for being biased and the only bias I see is that not everyone agrees with me, including yourself. I actually like PK a lot. I've aid this many times.

Of course he's disappointed, the team's best player is perfectly healthy, sitting at home.
I would be too. I'm sure the Kings players were stressed and disappointed when Doughty didn't show to camp. It doesn't mean they are actually disagreeing with their stance though.
Gorges speaks of ''95%'' of players going through bridge contracts, sure, what about that ''5%''? PK certainly has a strong case to be part of them.
Of course Gorges had to prove himself, he was a freaking injured for 46 games the season before. And, he brings about half of what PK does, and I'm being generous.

It seems like everybody can agree that PK is our best Dman (unless Markov gets back to where he was). Most can even agree to give him about 4-4.5M. So if you're willing to give that much to a player of his age after 2years, it's because you know he's one heck of a special player. So, what's the issue? Length.
Seeing how everybody agrees that he's a great player and our best Dman, what's the problem with giving him more years?
I mean, sure, MaxPac signed a bridge contract, but he just had gotten his face smashed in putting his career at risk. It made sense, he bounced back. So all in all, Pacioretty had one good year with 37 good games from another. That's less than PK yet he got an extension.

I get it. Management wants to put in place a salary structure, and I actually agree with it. But I'm also realistic enough to know there will be exceptions, and how PK doesn't fit the ''exception'' type is weird.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I suspect someone will blink after a game or two because they will realize how totally unecessary this is. It's a good sign that we have no clue as to the numbers being talked about , means neither side has resorted to using the media and public opinion as a negotiating tool.

I think Prices contract was a relatively bad one. Not that I think Price is a bad goalie, but I think PK is further along than price was at the same time.

I didn't think the bridge contract was a good idea when we gave him one either. If we would have bought a few UFA years when we had the opportunity, we wouldn't be paying over 6million now. The bridge stuff is stupid and likely to cost the habs significantly more in the long run. Too bad management doesn't seem to learn from past errors.

Habtchum*

I do. Players don't owe the media anything. They also don't need to be talking about player contract disputes publicly.

I really don't care if people don't like PK in the dressing room. You don't make it public.

That inside info - nothing new here - is helping fans to understand why management wants to give him a shorter bridge contract to prove himself as a hockey player and foremost as a real team player and teamate.

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010

The media is the intermediate between the fans and the players. They owe the fans and the media 50% of HRR. Fine if you don't not like Gorges' comments. But to say they how the media and indirectly the fans nothing seems to be a little overreaching.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Thanks for addressing the content of my post. Everyone can post on HF too, and just like bloggers, I imagine most of us are in our parents' basements. The difference being that if you want anyone to read your blog (and people do read the blog in question) you have to put some thought into the content, whereas any idiot can share their brain farts here, as many so kindly do.

I take it you've read his analysis, and disagree with his opinion that a dominant defenseman in terms of puck possession in all situations is worth more than an undersized winger who played mostly in offensive situations (0:10/game on the penalty kill, 60% O-zone starts), who had an elite shooting percentage (18.9%, 5th among F's) but used his shot comparatively seldomly (only 180 in 78 games, not even among the top 100 in the NHL and less than such noted snipers as David Clarkson, Pascal Dupuis and Jason Chimera), and who signed an extension for a $ figure that most here would scoff at were it Subban.

I don't know who you are or where you came from, but it's about time we gets some posters who make intelligent arguments.

He's using an old tactic. If you can't debate the facts, attack the messenger. You'll be a welcomed addition here, but you'll need to filter through a lot of junk.

bjac

Jan 16, 2006
I'm more worried it's the other way around. At some point the Habs may just throw in the towel on the ''stalemate'' if the team gets off to a bad start and entertain trade offers with the entire league having the leverage. The thought alone makes me sick.

I would hate to see him traded. Even if there was a perfect fit (which I haven't seen in any proposals) I would prefer to keep him. He competitive, understands the city of Montreal and wants to play here.

With that said, I highly doubt MB would go that route. Its risky and unneccesary to think about trading him at this point. I have faith that a deal is going to get done.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Absolutely. It's not any player's business.
Gorges better freaking step up at 3.9M per year for 6 freaking years.

What do you mean "step up"? He has been one of our best dmen since we got him and is rock steady with leadership and attitude. Gorges has a good chance to get the C while PK still acts like a 10yr old. He called out your baby and now you are all in a huff about it?

Once again you show your hypocrisy by badmouthing Cole after the told Hamrilik to **** while now defending PK. PK's decisions are effecting the team and if you remember this is a TEAM sport.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
The media is the intermediate between the fans and the players. They owe the fans and the media 50% of HRR. Fine if you don't not like Gorges' comments. But to say they how the media and indirectly the fans nothing seems to be a little overreaching.

Give me a break. They owe the media nothing about internal matters. You don't talk about another player's contract negotiations.

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010
What do you mean "step up"? He has been one of our best dmen since we got him and is rock steady with leadership and attitude. Gorges has a good chance to get the C while PK still acts like a 10yr old. He called out your baby and now you are all in a huff about it?

I feel the same way. What Gorges and Gionta said was really not that bad. Somehow, people are really offended.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
What were Gorges comments anyways?

He remarked that he wasn't sure how PK would be received by the guys in the room. That a team wins because it's a team, not because of individuals. He also said that bridge contracts are just a reality. Said he wanted a long term contract as well, but Management told him it wasn't going to happen, and that he had to prove himself. Said if you prove yourself, you'll eventually be compensated for it.

Gio said there would be 0 problems with Subban when he comes back.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

For 4M he better step up a lot more than he has. Solid player...but for that deal? He needs to add more to his game.

PK acts like a 10 year old in what way? This place is like a salon with all the gossip I hear in here.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
What do you mean "step up"? He has been one of our best dmen since we got him and is rock steady with leadership and attitude.Gorges has a good chance to get the C while PK still acts like a 10yr old. He called out your baby and now you are all in a huff about it?

What is it that you could possibly mean by this?

habsrule22

May 10, 2010
Powassan, Ontario
you gotta give kudos to bergevin for not giving in the pressure and PK demands in this short season. where 2 pts could mean thje difference between making or missing the play offs

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
That inside info - nothing new here - is helping fans to understand why management wants to give him a shorter bridge contract to prove himself as a hockey player and foremost as a real team player and teamate.

Prove himself? He already is one of the most used Dman in the NHL, facing top opposition, and doing well. He has some of the best hockey players in the NHL talking about him. If he was just some unproven kid, they wouldn't give him the time of day.
He's proven. Also, if he hasn't proven enough, then the same can be said of Price and MaxPac. The bar cannot be set different for everybody in terms of ''proving yourself''.

Team player? Diving in front of an empty to prevent a goal. Team player.
Be the first to celebrate a goal with a teammate. Team player.
Jumping in scrums without hesitation to defend teammates. Team player.

Accepting a contract a 3rd-4th Dman would have but then be expected to play like a #1, and pretty much lead your D squad, is not asking to be a team player. It's asking a player to take less money than he's worth.

Also, willingly starting the season without your best player is bad management no matter how you want to slice it. You can blame PK all you want, it remains bad management.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
I'm more worried it's the other way around. At some point the Habs may just throw in the towel on the ''stalemate'' if the team gets off to a bad start and entertain trade offers with the entire league having the leverage. The thought alone makes me sick.

How can 29 teams gets leverage over one team when they are all fighting each other for what the one team has? Ridiculous, if anything they will be out bidding each other for PK.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

Once again you show your hypocrisy by badmouthing Cole after the told Hamrilik to **** while now defending PK. PK's decisions are effecting the team and if you remember this is a TEAM sport.

It takes two to tango. You have no clue where each side stands but yet you say PK is hurting the team? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad