Owners solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

vadardog

May 29, 2004
Here's an idea for the owners:

For starters, NHL teams have never been competing buisinesses. They compete on the ice and they compete to get the best players. However, I think we can agree that fans go to their home town teams games. Certainly very few are rich enough (or want to bother) to fly from New York to Dallas for the evening just because Dallas has a better team. What I'm saying is that Nashville may have to worry that their fans will go to the movies or to a football game instead of a hockey game, but they never have to worry that their fans may decide to go to another NHL game that night.

With this in mind I think the owners should just combine all their hockey assets and become part owners in the business of the NHL. So if Jeff Jacobs' Bruins were worth 150 million and the oilers were worth 75 million then Jeff Jacobs would own twice as much of the NHL business as the oiler owners. The owners could then entice the players back by offering them all unrestricted free agency. Exactly what they wanted. Then to keep salaries in check the owners could now legally "collude" to set salary caps for each division (team) of the new business. They could still aquire most of the best players in the world with a 25 million dollar salary cap. If a player doesn't like his salary he is free to work for another business like Modo or Farljestad.

vadardog

May 29, 2004
Hockeyfan02 said:
I dont think anyone is going to like the idea of making everyone UFAs.

I don't think the owners would care what rules were made if no team could spend above 25 million on salaries.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I actually think it would be cool to blow up the entire league and draft everyone from square one. New league, new teams.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I would bet at least 6 teams would say no to that..

You think the teams that are in big markets are going to want to share EVERYTHING with the small markets..

hell.. they are having a hard enough problem sharing ANY revenue, much less all of it..

:lol

And blowing up the league..

I am sorry..

I like my team the way it is..

It happens to be Colorado.... But its not just about the big names... I would be quite Pissed if we had to ditch all of our guys..

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
vadardog said:
I don't think the owners would care what rules were made if no team could spend above 25 million on salaries.

I'm talking about fans. You think fans here in Tampa would be happy with Lecavalier, Richards, St. Louis, Khabi, etc getting to sign where they please? What about Ottawa with Chara, Hossa, Havlat, etc. being able to go wherever. A question: Would this 25 million dollar cap be on paper or would it be a verbal agreement with the owners? If its just a verbal agreement then I dont see all 30 owners being on the same page keeping the 25 million dollar cap when the bidding wars start. If its a written agreement with the PA then its not colluding.

Polydorus

Feb 5, 2004
Drury_Sakic said:
I would bet at least 6 teams would say no to that..

You think the teams that are in big markets are going to want to share EVERYTHING with the small markets..

If the owners had done that they could have solved all their problems WITHOUT the lockout.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Hey great idea eh. The owners pool all their money together and share it equally, or weighted as per their investment. What a concept. I wonder if the owners would go for this total revenue sharing. They would nt even really need player approval. They could fic things all on their own without a lockout. Surely as helpless, opressed, billionaires, they would gladly give up mastery of their own Kingdom, to become a VP in a larger corporation, in order to give them some semblance of an opportunity to make money in this cruel, competitive world.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Drury_Sakic said:
And blowing up the league..

I am sorry..

I like my team the way it is..

It happens to be Colorado.... But its not just about the big names... I would be quite Pissed if we had to ditch all of our guys..

Yes, but it would send a nice little message to the players that it's the sweater that sells tickets, not the players.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
loudi94 said:
I actually think it would be cool to blow up the entire league and draft everyone from square one. New league, new teams.
That's great for say... ESPN NHL 2K5... but can you imagine how pissed a player in New England would be for dropping 2.5m on a new house, then finding out he's gonna be playing for Vancouver?

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
futurcorerock said:
That's great for say... ESPN NHL 2K5... but can you imagine how pissed a player in New England would be for dropping 2.5m on a new house, then finding out he's gonna be playing for Vancouver?

At this point that would be the least of my concerns. 2.5 million on a house. Why when I was I was young I used to have to live in a paper bag in the middle of the road. ;)

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
- We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.

- You were lucky.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
MOEBEAGLE said:
Ok let the sweater sell tickets and also play the games and see how many dumb fans are out there that would pay $50-75 to see sweaters play. That has to be the dumbest statement I have ever seen. WON'T WORK AND FANS WON'T COME so there will be no ticket sales nor could you give them away.

Where on this thread does it say $50-$75 a ticket mojumbo? There are hundreds of skilled players that will be more than happy to work their butts off in the NHL every night. It would work and the fans will come. Every arena in Canada would be full if the price was right. Players come and go. Did Edmonton fans stop cheering for the Oilers when Gretzky was traded? How many decided to cheer for the Kings instead? How many Habs fans switched to Colorado when Roy was traded? Casual fans may agree with you, but they don't know any better. Are you a casual fan?

Next time read my statement instead of just seeing it and it might not be so dumb. ;)

MacDaddy TLC*

Hockeyfan02 said:
I dont think anyone is going to like the idea of making everyone UFAs.
With only 2 player under contract in 2010-11, we are getting ever so close to this being a reality! :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad