Owen Sound Attack 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014
The ktown comment does not describe the play of Smith in Peterborough. The only complaint of Smith’s defensive play there could be he handled the puck in the D zone like a hand grenade with the pin already pulled. That’s ability not coaching.
Yet he was touted as a top 4 Dman when he arrived and an OA possibility for next year. If he is not that good, that is on the GM.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Yet he was touted as a top 4 Dman when he arrived and an OA possibility for next year. If he is not that good, that is on the GM.
He is exactly a #4 D for team that does not have a big D to box out the slot, discourage plowing into the goalie and keep twerps from after the whistle shenanigans.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
He is exactly a #4 D for team that does not have a big D to box out the slot, discourage plowing into the goalie and keep twerps from after the whistle shenanigans.
Should be, but haven't seen it yet, maybe playoffs

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
My suggestions for next HC .
Jeff Kryzakos

Liam Heelis
I'm not super familiar with Heelis but on paper he appears to be the type that would be of interest. He's currently the head coach at McGill and will be 34 years old entering next season with experience playing in the OHL.

In general, I would love to see a more progressive, younger coach with a bit of experience who can come in and be here for a few seasons at least to build and establish a program. If your coaches are getting hired into the professional ranks that is typically a good sign that you are bringing in good people/candidates. It's been awhile since Owen Sound hit on a coaching hire.

I think the organization is likely more attractive being that they aren't expected to contend next season and a coach would have a clean slate with a younger roster to establish their systems/program. I have to imagine it's easier to mold and shape a younger group than it is to potentially get buy in from veteran players.

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014
Heelis was a great OA in the championship year. He is very smart and would be an interesting hire. It seems that he has put down roots out East, so not sure if he would even be interested.
As well, maybe there will be a GM hire as well, that would probably happen first.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Is there actually any real discussion from the team on future changes in management? Or is it just HF Board banter at this point in time? Sometimes things get leaked to the media on purpose. Really haven't seen anything to suggest changes in management except for speculations on here.

DCruickshank

Jan 8, 2022
Heelis was a great OA in the championship year. He is very smart and would be an interesting hire. It seems that he has put down roots out East, so not sure if he would even be interested.
As well, maybe there will be a GM hire as well, that would probably happen first.
Second part is not going to happen

I'm not super familiar with Heelis but on paper he appears to be the type that would be of interest. He's currently the head coach at McGill and will be 34 years old entering next season with experience playing in the OHL.

In general, I would love to see a more progressive, younger coach with a bit of experience who can come in and be here for a few seasons at least to build and establish a program. If your coaches are getting hired into the professional ranks that is typically a good sign that you are bringing in good people/candidates. It's been awhile since Owen Sound hit on a coaching hire.

I think the organization is likely more attractive being that they aren't expected to contend next season and a coach would have a clean slate with a younger roster to establish their systems/program. I have to imagine it's easier to mold and shape a younger group than it is to potentially get buy in from veteran players.
Currently assistant coach with Halifax Mooseheads

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Second part is not going to happen

Currently assistant coach with Halifax Mooseheads
Thanks. I missed that. Head Coach in Owen Sound would be a promotion then which maybe he'd have interest. In my opinion, that's the type of coach that would be of interest to me. CHL coaching experience, head coaching experience in the CIS, and a not so distant playing career including OHL level hockey Halifax is a top CHL organization as well so certainly a great place to learn the ropes. Getting these types of hockey people to actually apply for a coaching position in Owen Sound would be the challenge. Provided ownership commits to offering market rate salary I have to assume they could attract good candidates. If you try and do it on the cheap then you get the type of candidates that typically are more of a gamble(not at all suggesting ownership is cheap).

It feels kind of morbid talking about this with the playoffs coming up but it feels everything is heading to an inevitable conclusion whenever the season comes to an end. The excitement and enthusiasm for playoffs has seemingly been replaced with the dread and disappointment of what should have been or the confusion related to how a team with so much talent is in the position it's in. As unlikely as it feels, I'd love nothing more than a flip of the script come playoffs and the team everyone has been waiting on all season finally shows up.

Greys

Dec 18, 2021
My suggestions for next HC .
Jeff Kryzakos

Liam Heelis
What about Ryan McGill? Will he be returning to NJ Devils next year?
What about local boy Mark O’Leary? Great success with Moose Jaw. He just got a contract extension but could he get released to come to his hometown?

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
I agree, this time of year should be exciting for fans and players alike. I have the same dread for our boys here

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
What about local boy Mark O’Leary? Great success with Moose Jaw. He just got a contract extension but could he get released to come to his hometown?
Can't possibly imagine Ryan McGill being an option. He's seemingly established himself as a solid D coach at the NHL level and earning NHL caliber pay checks along with all the perks of the NHL that comes with the job. If he's not back with New Jersey I'm sure he won't have too much trouble getting another NHL gig. He's also probably on the older end of the spectrum. Retirement is probably more likely than a return to CHL coaching.

I also don't see Owen Sound poaching another active head coach. Doesn't hurt to ask but I would expect a pretty quick thank you for consideration but no thank you response.

Most likely options are going to be assistant coaches looking for a head coaching opportunity, whether that's at the CHL or AHL levels, or you're looking at one of the retread options out there that were recently fired around the league. Maybe you get somebody out of the NHL who is at the tail end of their playing career/recently retired and looking to transition to coaching. There will be more options in the offseason.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
im sure mcgill still has time left on his deal, even if not he probably could stay pro if he wanted too.

sudbury has done nothing but hire local guys to coach and left much better coaches out and fans loved it at the time. as long as they are the best candidate for the job, but dont hire someone local just because its a nice feel good story, that gets old quick. fans get pissed 3/4 months in when the reaize the guy cant coach

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Minn Wild not offering a contract to 18
Seems odd to decide that now. If I'm not mistaken, they have until June to decide. He's had a bit of a disappointing year this season but so has the team in general. He was excellent at the world junior tournament and still has the OHL playoffs to come. Not necessarily a shocking outcome none the less I guess.

Can't see Guindon getting a contract this year. A good OA season next year and he could still earn an ELC the hard way.

Not really any reason for Anaheim to sign Smith with another season still to play before they have to make a decision.

The top OAs have started signing around the league. Would be nice to see the Owen Sound guys get picked up.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
The season, in a word, disappointing .

I believe the Attack were in first place in the Western Conference when they parted company with Walters.

He must be guffawing today just a little bit .

Got paid to sit at-home and watch his team implode.

Reactions: PensFan101

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Well this season has certainly been one that has been the most puzzling I've seen this team have in some time.

We all certainly had very high expectations on this group this season, and as the regular season comes to a conclusion Saturday. This season certainly has left the fans scratching their heads, there's certainly areas of this team that we all expected a lot more out of and some that have seemed to be more puzzling.

Reactions: HLLYWD99

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Well, that didn't look like a team desperate to get a win to stay away from the possibility of facing London. Barlow got his goals, but the rest of the top 6 didn't have much life. I like Sedley, but he always seems to want to take a simple play and make it harder. I think it was the 4 on 4 goal he had a 15 foot pass to make and instead of flat on the ice, he sauces it in to Guindons' feet and 3 seconds later its in the net. Mccue looked dissinterested at times. How many times will tersigni fall or get pushed off the puck . Defensively the team was bad again, Not sure if they win tomorrow that it will keep them away from London. They would have pulled Votary after those 5 goals. I would say the team has quit on these coaches. A time out to calm them down and explain maybe the urgency of their situation, the result..... a goal against immediatley on the next shift. I'm not sure how the rest of the attack faithful is feeling, but it looks bleak for the playoff "run"
I feel that we here in Kingston will have an early exit, but might squeak out a game or two. You guys will have a tough one with either Sag or LDn

Reactions: OSattackfan

HLLYWD99

Mar 8, 2011
Amherstburg
Well this season has certainly been one that has been the most puzzling I've seen this team have in some time.

We all certainly had very high expectations on this group this season, and as the regular season comes to a conclusion Saturday. This season certainly has left the fans scratching their heads, there's certainly areas of this team that we all expected a lot more out of and some that have seemed to be more puzzling.
Can still get to 30 wins.😵‍💫😵‍💫

Reactions: Noofgoof

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The season, in a word, disappointing .

I believe the Attack were in first place in the Western Conference when they parted company with Walters.

He must be guffawing today just a little bit .

Got paid to sit at-home and watch his team implode.
Rangers fired McKee. Won a couple of championships after. I liked him. Many didn't. Guess there were differences of opinions in philosophy in Owen Sound. Not sure what that meant?
Hindsight is 20/20. Most fans are puzzled by the way this squad is playing. Lot of talent there. They are in the mix with the bottom four point wise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad