Owen Sound Attack 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
1695320267857.png

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Ready for home opener
He's lucky they counted the remaining preseason game against the automatic two game suspension. They need to get through Saturday clean with no suspensions or injury. Start the season on the right track. Addy being out opens the door for someone else to get an opportunity. Could buy a bubble player an extra look or give Crawford/Nansi their first game in the OHL. Wouldn't be shocked if they elected to go 11F and 7D opening night either I guess.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
Well I was not in attendance for last night but there is some good news that came from the 8-4 drilling.. The good news is it's only Pre Season and we actually scored 4 goals which is much more than our previous 2 preseason games lol onward to the next one. Last one before the real deal. I will cut them some slack for last night since we were missing 7 of our top guys

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Hey, you post about everyone, so no issues there. If Colby Balrow scores 5 goals and has 20 shots in a game, and then you come on here and want to put him down and talk up Hookey, then we may have a problem :) lol.
I try to give equal billing I actually can't say I have a clear cut favorite player with this group I like them all for different reasons. I know he frustrates some and I include mtself in that group but even with his foray's into the offensive zone I do like Sam Sedley. With today's game you need offence from the back end and he is a very skilled smart hockey player. I'm hoping for an expericenced stay at home d man to play alongside Sam.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I was able to attend the game yesterday and get a good look at the new players. I was particularly impressed with Nansi and Crawford. Nansi made a number of really intelligent plays in the offensive end and I thought he handled the physical play well. Crawford shows a great understanding of the details as you really notice him picking up his check in the D-zone or just going to the right spots in the rink. Crawford showed off some skill as well. He got knocked around a little bit(though didn't shy away from contact) and struggled on the face off dot but he looks like a really interesting player. I thought both Smith and Ethier were solid on the blue line. Seeing Ethier and Rogers rip pucks off the blue line is encouraging for the future of the D-core, two very high end shooters. Didn't get to see Addy with him being suspended but it looks like a really strong draft class so far. And Matejicek looks really solid as well if you want to add in the import pick.

Definitely noticed the improvements Hookey has made. He looked like he was getting around the ice very well and was more effective on the fore check because of it. He said in Greg Cowan's post game article that his goal is to score 30 goals this season. He might just do it.

From the 06 group, Rogers looked great. Showed a lot of confidence with the puck and was engaged in the battles, kid has some fire in him. Cormier looked a lot more comfortable out there and made some nice plays. It was interesting to see him on the PK, that could be a interesting opportunity for him in the regular season to get some more ice time and make an impact in that role. Tersigni looked solid, he was pretty effective along the boards in the cycle. George played well but I don't think he saw too many difficult shots. He does look a little bigger in the net this year.

Now we just camp watch to see when everyone gets sent back to Owen Sound. Would be ideal to get a few back in time for a practice prior to puck drop on the season. It will be interesting to see if they clear the OA situation prior to the start of the season or if they start the year with 4 03s.

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014
I was able to attend the game yesterday and get a good look at the new players. I was particularly impressed with Nansi and Crawford. Nansi made a number of really intelligent plays in the offensive end and I thought he handled the physical play well. Crawford shows a great understanding of the details as you really notice him picking up his check in the D-zone or just going to the right spots in the rink. Crawford showed off some skill as well. He got knocked around a little bit(though didn't shy away from contact) and struggled on the face off dot but he looks like a really interesting player. I thought both Smith and Ethier were solid on the blue line. Seeing Ethier and Rogers rip pucks off the blue line is encouraging for the future of the D-core, two very high end shooters. Didn't get to see Addy with him being suspended but it looks like a really strong draft class so far. And Matejicek looks really solid as well if you want to add in the import pick.

Definitely noticed the improvements Hookey has made. He looked like he was getting around the ice very well and was more effective on the fore check because of it. He said in Greg Cowan's post game article that his goal is to score 30 goals this season. He might just do it.

From the 06 group, Rogers looked great. Showed a lot of confidence with the puck and was engaged in the battles, kid has some fire in him. Cormier looked a lot more comfortable out there and made some nice plays. It was interesting to see him on the PK, that could be a interesting opportunity for him in the regular season to get some more ice time and make an impact in that role. Tersigni looked solid, he was pretty effective along the boards in the cycle. George played well but I don't think he saw too many difficult shots. He does look a little bigger in the net this year.

Now we just camp watch to see when everyone gets sent back to Owen Sound. Would be ideal to get a few back in time for a practice prior to puck drop on the season. It will be interesting to see if they clear the OA situation prior to the start of the season or if they start the year with 4 03s.
Thanks for the update, looking forward to seeing the lineup next weekend.

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017

At town hall DD said he was waiting to see what happens re OA's @ camps, not in a hurry to do anything.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
At town hall DD said he was waiting to see what happens re OA's @ camps, not in a hurry to do anything.
He's certainly not under pressure to make a move so no harm in waiting. There are still teams looking to fill OA spots so the market hasn't dried up yet. The awkwardness is having a player sitting in the press box that should be playing. I don't think it will be something that drags on through the month of October. It would seem unlikely that Sedley or Lawrence turn pro and don't come back but there's no point in risking losing a player to the pro level and rushing a trade now. Wait until everybody is back and if necessary, play games to better assess who stays.

DCruickshank

Jan 8, 2022
He's certainly not under pressure to make a move so no harm in waiting. There are still teams looking to fill OA spots so the market hasn't dried up yet. The awkwardness is having a player sitting in the press box that should be playing. I don't think it will be something that drags on through the month of October. It would seem unlikely that Sedley or Lawrence turn pro and don't come back but there's no point in risking losing a player to the pro level and rushing a trade now. Wait until everybody is back and if necessary, play games to better assess who stays.
If all are back I believe their mind has already been made up....if one sticks their mind is made up for them

Reactions: KFawcett

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Going to take a crack at opening night:

Hookey-Guindon-Barlow
Goure-Petrovsky-Burroughs
Waddick-Cormier-Tersigni
Stewart-Brennan-Chafe

Jordan-Sedley
Matejicek-Steen
Petrovski-Rogers

Votary

Game 2 home opener
Hookey-Guindon-Barlow
Waddick-Petrovsky-Burroughs
Cormier-Lawrence-Addy
Stewart-Brennan-Tersigni

Same D

George

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017

Hookey-Guindon-Barlow
Waddick-Cormier-Tersigni
Stewart-Brennan-Chafe

Jordan-Sedley
Matejicek-Steen
Petrovski-Rogers

Votary

Game 2 home opener
Hookey-Guindon-Barlow
Cormier-Lawrence-Addy
Stewart-Brennan-Tersigni

Same D

George
I may be wrong but I'm betting Jake Crawford is in at the very least 1 of the games this weekend.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
I'm willing to say it's likely at very least 1 of the guys at camp won't be back in time for game 1 or 2 this weekend.maybe even 2 guys which is fine we have great young players who could use a little early season time.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I may be wrong but I'm betting Jake Crawford is in at the very least 1 of the games this weekend.
I definitely wouldn't be upset if Crawford and Nansi saw game action. From what I saw on Saturday, both players are going to make a serious push to be regulars this season. I feel like the initial games this year will see the vets play and the rookies will need to force their way in. The 07 forwards are going to make life difficult for the other players as they look really good so far. It's super early obviously but I'm really impressed with the draft class so far with Addy, Crawford, Nansi, Smith, Ethier and Matejicek all looking good in camp. Chafe and Brennan appear to be facing the most heat from the rookies in my opinion.

Crawford and Nansi both look like they could be plugged into the lineup and be ready to go. I was surprised how physical Crawford played on Saturday. He got knocked around a bit but didn't shy away and delivered his share of hits. Both he and Nansi showed skill and IQ that bode really well moving forward. Crawford needs to add weight but super intrigued by what he brings. Nansi is already showing the ability to slow things down and make good reads in the O-zone. Really happy with what I saw out of them.

I'm willing to say it's likely at very least 1 of the guys at camp won't be back in time for game 1 or 2 this weekend.maybe even 2 guys which is fine we have great young players who could use a little early season time.
Barlow is the biggest question mark in my opinion. I would imagine he gets into an exhibition game or two with Winnipeg before being sent back which likely puts the weekend games in jeopardy. I think everybody else will likely be returned prior to the weekend.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Ive seen both James Petrovski and Cedrick Guindon sent down.

Jackson Stewart hasn't played in either games with Ottawa so assume he's back soon.

Servac Petrovsky played last night in Minnesota, TBA to be fair but proably back in time?

Philadelphia plays tonight, haven't seen any roser yet, have to assume that if Sedley isn't in the lineup he would be back shortly as well.

Kaleb Lawrence didn't make the trip with the big club, so again, assume we'll see him back.

Id be surprised if Colby is back this weekend, but who knows? Maybe we only are without him on Friday?

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Ive seen both James Petrovski and Cedrick Guindon sent down.

Jackson Stewart hasn't played in either games with Ottawa so assume he's back soon.

Servac Petrovsky played last night in Minnesota, TBA to be fair but proably back in time?

Philadelphia plays tonight, haven't seen any roser yet, have to assume that if Sedley isn't in the lineup he would be back shortly as well.

Kaleb Lawrence didn't make the trip with the big club, so again, assume we'll see him back.

Id be surprised if Colby is back this weekend, but who knows? Maybe we only are without him on Friday?
Looking around the league on NHL.com rosters, Barlow is the only Attack player still showing on an active roster. Appears everyone else is on the way back to Owen Sound.

Reactions: Noofgoof

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019

Hookey-Guindon-Barlow
Waddick-Cormier-Tersigni
Stewart-Brennan-Chafe

Jordan-Sedley
Matejicek-Steen
Petrovski-Rogers

Votary

Game 2 home opener
Hookey-Guindon-Barlow
Cormier-Lawrence-Addy
Stewart-Brennan-Tersigni

Same D

George
I think Chafe is up against if for sure. Its odd, he had such a good 16 year old season but then last year just fell off for whatever reason.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I think Chafe is up against if for sure. Its odd, he had such a good 16 year old season but then last year just fell off for whatever reason.
He skates well, defends well and works hard, he just doesn't seem to have the offensive tool kit or the IQ in the offensive zone. He killed penalties as a 16 year old and then didn't see time on the PK last year. The progression just hasn't been there for whatever reason. As a smaller player he just doesn't seem to fit with what they are trying to do with the roster. He feels like a marginal player at the OHL level and it may be hard to find him a home which is a shame. It definitely looks like an uphill battle this year for him. Credit to DeGray for the talent he's added through the draft that's creating these internal competitions for spots. It's definitely a good problem to have.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
#4 on the OHL Power Rankings and #7 on the Owen Beck Trade Power Rankings!

I can't see Owen Sound as players in a Owen Beck deal. Forward is their strength this season. If they swing big on something it will likely be on the blueline, probably not going to be a sexy add either based on our limited assets.

Reactions: KFawcett
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad