Owen Sound Attack 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
I will give Bowman a few more games. Can't fault him on any of the goals. He did look a bit shakey searching for the puck at times. Man do I miss a goalie who can play the puck, that was one of Michael's best talents after stopping them.

First line looked great. PP did well, definitely agree that Friend should not be relied on to be a PP star, he's got his role as the big shutdown guy. Durzi and Phillips are the 2 D men I would use on the point.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I will give Bowman a few more games. Can't fault him on any of the goals. He did look a bit shakey searching for the puck at times. Man do I miss a goalie who can play the puck, that was one of Michael's best talents after stopping them.

First line looked great. PP did well, definitely agree that Friend should not be relied on to be a PP star, he's got his role as the big shutdown guy. Durzi and Phillips are the 2 D men I would use on the point.

The toughest thing for fans this year may be accepting that we've got a human in net now.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Hopefully the team can bounce back quickly in week two.

With games against Kitchener and Mississauga this weekend I'd expect that last weekend was nothing more than early growing pains for coach Gill's group in the season and a quick bounce back in week two should be expected by the team getting a point last weekend was big step early on hopefully the team can build on that experience and success against the Rangers and Steelheads

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
No real talk about the release of our import. Will we see an upgrade trade coming?

My biggest target would be a beast of a faceoff man. I am of the opinion that to win it all we need a guy who can win draws. Some of our guys are coming along but I would look for filling this role with a proven faceoff man via trade, like we did with Cordell JAmes last year. Who could fill this role?

Hoping for 2 W's this weekend. Go Attack Go.

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014
Two wins would be great but a split would be ok too as the team gets going. A trade is probably in the works but DD might be waiting a bit until the league settles down and everyone has a handle of their teams.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
No real talk about the release of our import. Will we see an upgrade trade coming?

My biggest target would be a beast of a faceoff man. I am of the opinion that to win it all we need a guy who can win draws. Some of our guys are coming along but I would look for filling this role with a proven faceoff man via trade, like we did with Cordell JAmes last year. Who could fill this role?

Hoping for 2 W's this weekend. Go Attack Go.

Agreed the team really needs a face-off dot man hopefully dale can find that soon cause this team can't afford to keep playing chase the puck from the draws. I do recall a point early on in the training camp that Filyayev wasn't the man Dale had originally targeted in the import draft but was the #2 option.

As was scattered knowledge that his man was picked up by the Knights (surprise, surprise) and that Dale was scrambling to find someone quickly.

However I can't see Dale paying big to get a second import of another club at this point in the season unless he ponies up the draft picks to do that

Last edited:

BrunoDaBear

Jan 27, 2017
Agreed the team really needs a face-off dot man hopefully dale can find that soon cause this team can't afford to keep playing chase the puck from the draws. I do recall a point early on in the training camp that Filyayev wasn't the man Dale had originally targeted in the import draft but was the #2 option.

As was scattered knowledge that his man was picked up by the Knights (surprise, surprise) and that Dale was scrambling to find someone quickly.

However I can't see Dale paying big to get a second import of another club at this point in the season unless he ponies up the draft picks to do that

Faceoff circle looked good tonight

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Agreed good to see the team pick up the second point and getting possession of the puck was key to winning over the rangers.

Good to see Szypula cash in as vet to get the GWG

Now it's time to turn around for tomorrow and use tonight's momentum against the Steelheads

BrunoDaBear

Jan 27, 2017
Nice rebound game by Bowman.

He kept them in it through both those 5-on-3 penalty kills early on. He isn't as good at controlling rebounds as McNiven, but how many goalies are.

Wish the refs would've let them play a bit more in the 2nd. Was a slow period. A couple weak calls on both teams.

Kitchener sat back in OT just hoping to jump on an OS mistake. Goes to show how scared they were of the dangerous OS players.

The attack need to start the game like they started the 3rd period. They were all over the rangers.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I though Bowman played pretty solid.

They should have had the 2pts in regulation time.

No King or Pryce in the lineup, and word on those two?

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
I though Bowman played pretty solid.

They should have had the 2pts in regulation time.

No King or Pryce in the lineup, and word on those two?

Nothing yet.

They are both healthy.

I've got a theory that Cole Cameron is being shopped. He was clearly a step behind Nick King all pre season and training camp.

I'm thinking that one of Moro or Doherty will be re-assigned. You cant have Pryce or Groulx doing pressbox duty every game or even every other game.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Well not the prettiest way to win a hockey game especially against a non-conference opponent.

Although good to see production being made from 6 different players out there last night if Gill can continue to get different players producing points on a game to game basis as he has to start the season it will look like the team will have no trouble continuing to challenge the top of the conference.

Also good to see the team come back and protect Bowman late in the game when things got tense around the crease last night all in all a step in the right direction in moving forward.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
Well Next up the Sarnia Sting on Wednesday. It should be a good game to watch hope the boys can improve to 3-0-1.

Ps does anyone else really not enjoy the new set up this site?

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

McNiven sent to ECHL closes the book for OS, I know this was expected but a bizarre decision for MTL. You'd think a Mem Cup run would be beneficial for him

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
He's probably outgrown junior hockey at this point, the ECHL isn't great but it's still a step up as he needs to face higher quality competition to continue to improve.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

McNiven sent to ECHL closes the book for OS, I know this was expected but a bizarre decision for MTL. You'd think a Mem Cup run would be beneficial for him

Micheal has nothing to prove in the OHL level as a 20 year old it would give the rest of the fans of Owen Sound something to fall out of their seats at the Bayshore if he did.

Although if anyone was to ask Dale what he thinks of the situation he'd probably give a topical DeGray answer that it would be nice to have him back but that Micheal would have to do the best thing for Micheal and that it's time to move forward as a team without him

Last edited:

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Attack and Sting to meet for one of 4 tilts on the year thus far the Attack will be lead Struthers,Durzi, and Hancock all with 5 points. While the Sting are lead by Drake Rymsha, Anthony Salinitri, Jordan Ernst, Adam Ruzicka and Sting Captain Jordan Kyrou.

Things should be fast tonight as both Attack and Sting use speed in their games this should create for a good flow to the chances that both teams can create.

Hopefully the team can continue to cash in on their chances while shutting down the Sting's .I'd expect to see Bowman get the nod in goal as this can give the Attack a good chance early on to get key points early in the standings and close the early gap on the Rags early on in the conference standings

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
The only speed was on the Sting side.
Referees made a total botch of this one.

The Attack were fortunate to escape with a point . They didn't lend much support for Mack Guzda, making his rookie debut.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Another shootout in the books.

I'd say the team had some slack tonight against the Sting especially on Guzda's part; the Sting certainly found a way to exploit some key issues with the team thus far in the early going that I'm sure Coach Gill will be sure to address before the weekend.

For the most part it was a pretty good measuring stick for Gill to see where the team is lacking in areas, the Sting certainly had the upper hand in stretches of the game and made the guys pay for it in goals against, officials where questionable at certain points of the game as to be expected in the "O".

JF has certainly head scratching moments this early on in the year, I would've liked to see a bit more out of him in the early going but still to early to throw him under the bus yet. AL has lived up to his expectations IMO and so has AD thus far as he's brought a physical side to his game that has made him stand out more early on.

Hopefully lessons can be taken from that into Saturday's tilt against the Spits

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
Well, that wasnt a pretty one but ill gladly take the 1 point.. the first period it seemed like Owen Sound was about to take off with it we were skating well our pases were fairly crisp and we came so close to scoring on many occasions . Guzda looked great and the sting had trouble gaining much traction to get the zone and when they did it didnt amount to much. Guzda was there and did what he had to do with out being flashy. Second period was kinda a disaster. During the 4 minute powerplay I kept thinking we need to cash in or this will inject life in to the sting and likely not bode well for OS and that it did. I must say what a confusing game that was, never have i seen a blatent missed call that turned into a goal only to be called back and then given a 4 minute penalty .. sure was a head scratcher. As the second period went on our defense gave up some bad turnovers and odd man rushes which sarnia cashed in on props to them they played a good road game. Os looked better in the third but couldnt bury even though we had many chances to take the lead. We got robbed by the post in the penalty shot and in the shoot out . Things just didnt go our way tonight.. heck they couldnt even find the zamboni driver to clean the ice between ot and shoot out lol and then the linesmen was in the way of Hancock and then even bumped him which threw him right off and he screwed up his shot in the shootout. I must say Suzuki looked like a machine out there the kid should have a heck of a year and Guzda although a bit taller to me reminded me alot of a young binner lets hope that continues because we sure were lucky with him. I wouldnt put much blame on Guzda in this one because the team deffence seemed to let us down a bit.

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
4 goals that were basically breakaway. Is Gill asking the D men to play further up in the zone or were these mistakes? I like our top 4 Friend, Durzi, Phillips, Bourque but I may like 1 more top 4 D man after watching last nights game. Gudza played well, only 1 weak goal that I saw. Sarnia was getting out of there zone pretty easily, championship teams have a relentless forecheck, I didn't see that as much as I wanted to.

Current wish list top 9 forward who is a beast on faceoffs. Proven second pairing d man. At this point I don't see goaltending being the biggest issue. And yes I know we are only 4 games in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad