Owen Sound Attack 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
Well if were looking for a centerman what about trading with the wolves again for former first round pick 2014 Pezzetta hes a centerman 6.01 208 pounds taken just over 2000 faceoffs and won just over 50% never had crazy number but hasnt played on a good team hes got 7 points in 6 games this year. Hes a 6th round pick to the Canadians and im sure they wouldnt mind seeing what he could do on a bit better team. Just an option I was trying to scower the league for faceoff men and his stats atleast in the faceoff cirlcle are not to bad. It wouldnt likely be any kind of blockbuster by any means but likely an upgrade and could have chemistry with Lyszczarczyk (spelling?) the one major down side is hes not exactly full of playoff experience whcih often comes in handy down the stretch.

Last edited:

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
Pezetta is an interesting option nice find. However I think that we could wait to see how the current crop of forwards turns out for faceoffs. Maybe one of the guys starts to get good and can be that 2nd line faceoff man. I think the top line is doing well winning draws. By game 10 if Bowman is still letting in softies and the defense is getting beat too often (especially like in the Sarnia game) my attention would focus on a goalie and d man upgrade.

Friend needs to be put back in the role he was in last year. Stay at home defenseman that scares the pants off people entering the zone. PK only to clear the net and keep him off the PP.

I see Durzi being this year's Centorame.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I echo some of these posts.

I've come on here post game and deleted posts about Friend because I want to give him the Benefit of doubt but hes been terrible this season and honestly its not all his fault. The Mental lapses, sure. But Gill is trying to get him to pick up where Centorame left off and thats a problem itself. Jacob is a lousy skater with little to no offensive upside. He's not terrible defensively but this season he looks like a rookie.

I'm really hoping for DeGray to snag Di Pietro from Windsor but they are likely asking for Russell. I would be okay wit giving russell up if we can also add some one like Sean Day to the trade.

I'd imagine DeGray is getting some heat for the goaltending early on. He did say bowman would let in a couple a game but hes only need to stop 20 but at least 2 of those goals each game, woof......lol

I still like the core of this team and think they are still the clear cut favorite in the west. Just some of those questions about the team like goaltending and defence have me a bit worried about the long run.

sorry i thought you where a steelheads fan then a rangers fan?

im not sure why you guy keep saying that they are trying to turn friend into centorame. i saw you guys beat windsor saturday, and they are using durzi like centorame. centorame was the only d on the 1st unit pp last year, thats the role that durzi plays. centorame played with friend, now durzi does. i just looks like jake freind is struggling trying to be jake friend, which whatever, its game 6. if thats the biggest issue you guys are ok ;)

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015

im not sure why you guy keep saying that they are trying to turn friend into centorame. i saw you guys beat windsor saturday, and they are using durzi like centorame. centorame was the only d on the 1st unit pp last year, thats the role that durzi plays. centorame played with friend, now durzi does. i just looks like jake freind is struggling trying to be jake friend, which whatever, its game 6. if thats the biggest issue you guys are ok ;)

As a day 1 Platers/Attack fan, I think the biggest issue to date is the number of defensive miscues being contributed by all the team .

The mystifying thing is, this is for the most part the same lineup as last year.
At least enough of it that it shouldn't be happening . Scoring is not the issue.

The new coach is preaching five man defense, and I've noticed different breakout patterns. Is this the only thing that requires tweaking?

Time will tell.

Of course last year at this time I was harping on about the team struggling and maybe squeaking into the playoffs.
And look at where they ended up.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
As a day 1 Platers/Attack fan, I think the biggest issue to date is the number of defensive miscues being contributed by all the team .

The mystifying thing is, this is for the most part the same lineup as last year.
At least enough of it that it shouldn't be happening . Scoring is not the issue.

The new coach is preaching five man defense, and I've noticed different breakout patterns. Is this the only thing that requires tweaking?

Time will tell.

Of course last year at this time I was harping on about the team struggling and maybe squeaking into the playoffs.
And look at where they ended up.

i get that, i just dont get the 'they are trying to turn friend into centorame' thing, durzi is the new centorame. i watched you guys saturady, i never got that. i just thought that freind is struggling, and its probably standing out more because its the first few games of the season, if he hit a mid year lul it probably wouldnt be as big of a deal. you guys are my favourite non 'fan' team to watch, i think youll be fine, i dont even think your goalie has been that bad, the goals against windsor where legit.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Noofgoof- good find with Pezzetta from Sudbury. Other posters on the Sudbury thread have stated that they are in a real need for a Dman. The Attack may have one or two to choose from to fill that need for the Wolves in return.

Reactions: Noofgoof

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
One name that struck me on Saturday night that would look great in our colours is Sean Day from Windsor.

I'm on the side that the Attack need a stud D rather than help up front, and Day checks all the boxes:
-19 years old
-Memorial Cup Champion
-World class skater, great first pass, all the technical skills to fill the offensive defender role
-Big enough and solid enough defensively to add stability and eat minutes

Drawbacks? Well he moped his way out of Mississauga, and there's the issue of whether he would even report to a place like Owen Sound. Not sure how Windsor fans value him but he may not cost Russell either.

I think a move like that would go a long way to alleviating the defensive problems on the team, allowing everyone else to slot down a spot in the lineup. Durzi doesn't have to be the #1 all-around stud on his own, Friend can stay in a role he's effective in, and Phillips can continue to grow since he's not ready for the big stuff yet either. Would give us a pretty stacked Top 4.

But there are likely to be a few other solid D available this deadline.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Noofgoof- good find with Pezzetta from Sudbury. Other posters on the Sudbury thread have stated that they are in a real need for a Dman. The Attack may have one or two to choose from to fill that need for the Wolves in return.
I remember Pezzetta was highly regarded at the OHL Priority selection.
DeGray was asked about him , and offered that since the Attack cut his older brother from their roster earlier that year, he didn't think the player or his camp would have any interest in playing in OS.
Not sure if anything has changed in that regard.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I echo some of these posts.

I've come on here post game and deleted posts about Friend because I want to give him the Benefit of doubt but hes been terrible this season and honestly its not all his fault. The Mental lapses, sure. But Gill is trying to get him to pick up where Centorame left off and thats a problem itself. Jacob is a lousy skater with little to no offensive upside. He's not terrible defensively but this season he looks like a rookie.

I'm really hoping for DeGray to snag Di Pietro from Windsor but they are likely asking for Russell. I would be okay wit giving russell up if we can also add some one like Sean Day to the trade.

I'd imagine DeGray is getting some heat for the goaltending early on. He did say bowman would let in a couple a game but hes only need to stop 20 but at least 2 of those goals each game, woof......lol

I still like the core of this team and think they are still the clear cut favorite in the west. Just some of those questions about the team like goaltending and defence have me a bit worried about the long run.

Friend is not a bad defender on the team but as you pointed out long term goaltending and the blueline is something that seems to be a hit and miss right now.

I don't think Bowman is the greatest tender that's came to the team but it's hard to judge when he came from a team that didn't really have good defensive support, last game sounded much like the team had a few too many brain cramps against the Rangers and it resulted in a loss hopefully the team is just having learning curve issues with a young core of players right now and the learning curve is quick and
Pezetta is an interesting option nice find. However I think that we could wait to see how the current crop of forwards turns out for faceoffs. Maybe one of the guys starts to get good and can be that 2nd line faceoff man. I think the top line is doing well winning draws. By game 10 if Bowman is still letting in softies and the defense is getting beat too often (especially like in the Sarnia game) my attention would focus on a goalie and d man upgrade.

Friend needs to be put back in the role he was in last year. Stay at home defenseman that scares the pants off people entering the zone. PK only to clear the net and keep him off the PP.

I see Durzi being this year's Centorame.

I definitely agree on that point of upgrading are D-men and Tender on the backend Friend is a steady depth blueliner his whole career in the O and hasn't really seemed to embrace top pair roles like Phillips has this year.

Bowman is unfortunately who he is and that's not going to change now as a 20 yo in a different team the blueline has to start to pick up on that and Guzda will be this team's future MacNiven or Binner for the next few years if the defensive pairings can keep down the perimeter shots and rebounds from happening to land back on opposing players sticks then we have a chance to make some ground on protecting 1 and 2 goal leads but once the team starts chasing the puck we're in trouble especially on the backend where foot speed is lacking in key situations

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
I think the problem with #2 Friend is that he is trying to do too much. Having the burden of wearing the "C" this year has obviously made him think he needs to change his game. Hopefully he will realize that he is much more effective when he plays a simple game and looks to take the body as often as he can. Also noticed while watching the Kitchener game on Monday that the Rangers were targeting the Attack's top forwards with extra body checks, whacks with the stick and gloves to the face. There's no sneaking up on teams this year for this Attack team, every opponent will be ready when they face OS this year.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
I don't think there's any need to panic just yet, but there needs to be a plan in place to cope with some of the very important losses from last year.

1. The confidence that the team had with McNiven in goal is missing; to me this is very clear so far this year. I thought Bowman was a decent pick up (and the team may end up rallying around him yet), but if he's unable to inspire the confidence in his teammates to a greater extent than he has thus far, then DD needs to address it.

2. Secondary scoring does not seem to be nearly as potent as it was last year. The Palmu line posed many matchup problems for teams if they chose to key in on the Suzuki line. This year, that advantage has dissipated substantially. There's little doubt in my mind that DD needs to strengthen the 2nd line considerably, preferably at C.

3. Centorame's presence on last year's PP probably hasn't been fully appreciated. This area is not as critical as the other 2 because Durzi and Phillips should be able to adequately fill that role, however, if the PP is not functioning where it ought to be by trade deadline then I think DD will want to consider addressing it.

I completely agree with many posters on here; IMO it's going to be evident as the season progresses that the Attack need DiPietro. The cost would be great, but would be well worth it IMO. I'd give Rychel the choice between Dudas and Russell, plus a younger player like Beamish, Groulx or Pryce as well as picks.

I would also like DD to pursue Luchuk out of Windsor as well. The cost would be far more reasonable than someone like Brown or Sokolov with probably a similar impact. He would provide strength to 2nd, taking some of the weight off of the 1st line, plus he can play D on a PP Unit.

If DD wants to improve the potentness of the PP from the blueline before the deadline, then I think Marcus Crawford out of Saginaw is someone to look at. I think he would do very well in OS.

Last edited:

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
lines would look something like this:

(Assuming the Spits take Russell)

21 16 37
AL 27 24
8 15 9
7 11 19

2 5
18 MC
17 3

DiPietro (please don't get hurt)

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
lines would look something like this:

(Assuming the Spits take Russell)

21 16 37
AL 27 24
8 15 9
7 11 19

2 5
18 MC
17 3

DiPietro (please don't get hurt)

I honestly can't see Dale parting Russell in a deal, that would mean the team would steadily become another Erie Otters type team in the standings if that were to happened and the fans would become more frustrated with Dale's decision.

However i do see Dale possibility making a swap in a tenders role at some point before the season gets too deep into the standings race although the big question what will the cost be?

I think that Dale isn't really convinced that Bowman is the guy to get the job done in net and would think that he's looking for a possible tender that can bring more steadier tender on a consistent basis if he could like a Di Pietro type but that will cost big right now

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
I'd dangle Russell for trade bait. He's great and all but at a ~20 pick in the first round he's not a gaurantee to be a franchise player. This is the season, so trade him if you can get a A1 return. We will have to slide some year in the future and we will take a higher first round pick at that time.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I'd dangle Russell for trade bait. He's great and all but at a ~20 pick in the first round he's not a gaurantee to be a franchise player. This is the season, so trade him if you can get a A1 return. We will have to slide some year in the future and we will take a higher first round pick at that time.

I agree that him as trade bait would bring some interesting thoughts to would the return would be no doubt, but the issue with that logic is that you'd have to hope the team would slide down the standings far enough to make trading him worth while and the last time I check the team is in a good spot to still make noise in the conference so i can't see Russell being moved anytime soon, although from you POV that could pay off in a year down the road as the last time we picked 20th we took Nastasiuk who ended up a decent 4-year player but nothing to write home about.

Unfortunately I don't think Dale is in a position to sell the future for right now especially with limited assets he could move if we were higher in the standings then maybe it would be a different story but I think you'll see Russell stay put for this year

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario

Attended College in Mississauga, Grew up In Kitchener, Currently living in Owen Sound.....What's your point on the 1st statement? I am entitled to an opinion.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Onto tonights game...

Friend had a bit of a gaf early in the game, but he played quite well. I've always been a fan of his game defensively but tonight might have been his best offensive game. If we can see tonights Friend, every night that would be huge.

Guzda was solid. Looks like a rookie still but stood in there. Wasn't overly challenged but played a tidy game. Got the job done. I'd be okay if he started the next game as well. Im not going to suggest that he will pull a season like DiPietro as a 16 year old but if you are going to be rotating guys like Bemish, King and Chib in and out of the line up until someone runs with it why not see what you got in Guzda. Win and your in type of situation.

Dudas is someone who was flying tonight. He looks pegged for an unreal season.

Lyzarchuk (Sp?) continues to impress.

I do have to give the Otters some credit though. For a young squad, when they where down they battled. You wouldn't guess that there are a bunch of 1st and 2nd year players on that team. They didn't play a terrible game.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Pryce was released from the Attack but unfortunately that's what happens to be the way of junior hockey when there's younger players out performing on a depth chart then players that have been there for longer can lose there spot if they can't produce.

Good luck to Nick wherever he may land in this league or any other

smitty1200

Oct 12, 2017
durzi was great tonight and looking like one of the best defenceman in the league! suzuki and him showing lots of great chemistry out there.. fun to watch. sad to see pryce go, really enjoyed him last season

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
I think your line up has 4 OA's
You're right I forgot that Crawford is an OA. Thanks for the correction.

Too bad about Pryce. Last year he had some glimpses of being a good OHL player but there were clearly some issues that were working against him.

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
The second line is starting to look quite dangerous. Dudas is becoming Palmu'esque. I can't say enough good things about Durzi, amazing he was a 12th round pick! Friend played a nice game as well, sticking to what he does best, and hey a PP goal, he does have a heavy point shot and I don't mind him on the 2nd unit.

Gudza looked better. Congrats on your 1st OHL win. Gill commented in the post game that he is a nervous kid. I think as a few more games are under his belt he will get more comfortable.

Continued improvement is all we can ask for, especially on the defensive side. If this happens things will be ok. Does not say we should not be actively persuing upgrades. I think we need to take a shot this year, as much as I've liked the run of good teams since 2011 I am ok if we have to suffer a down year to see what this team can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad