Overwatch 2 - Early Access Beta out today on Xbox

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
One of the few Blizzard games I have not played so I am guessing they sell cosmetics like the first one I think did.
First one had loot boxes for cosmetics, as well as (free) in-game currencies that could be used to unlock specific cosmetics. Loot boxes have been the subject of multiple legal issues in the EU, so games are moving away from them in general.
This one uses a Season Pass system. You get stuff for free as you play and progress thru the season pass. But you get even more cosmetics as you level up if you pay for the season pass.

This is the same business model used by basically every other "live service" multiplayer game, including Fortnite, Apex Legends, and Valorant.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Can you even get the future battle passes for free if you get to a high tier? I think it’s hilarious how some games don’t do that and sometimes you even shell out 60$+

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Tried to play twice, was hit with a massive queue each time and just logged off. Not worth the hassle.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I don’t like that I have to give my phone number and make an account just to play this thing

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
They completely ruined what made OW1 so good. It's not a game of counters anymore. It's a game of shitty deathmatch with even less coordination than before. Dive heroes like Genji and Tracer run roughshod because there's no legitimate counter to them anymore. Healers got hammered with the nerf bat to the point it feels like they can barely keep themselves alive, let alone their team. Tanks get obliterated because as of now Orisa and Zarya are the only ones worth a damn. Solo tanking absolutely ****ing sucks. Oh and of course there's whatever calculus brought them to somehow making Sombra more oppressive than she was in the past. Bang up job there, guys

OW1 had its problems but they could have been easily corrected. Tone down CC but don't get rid of it entirely, keep the tank reworks to make sure double barrier isn't effective.

Blizzard fanboys will eat this trash up though and it'll make money hand over fist on MTX and will just parrot whatever their favorite one dimensional "pro" player tells them to.

Played this game for pretty much the full 6 years it was out and i'm done. f*** yourselves, Blizzard. It straight up feels like they catered to the whiny ass DPS players who refused to actually switch characters when getting countered at the expense of everyone else.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Watching bad players get mad about character balance is hilarious. Doubly so when their current post bitches about specific characters being overpowered that their previous post called unusable.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I finally got to play a handful of quick play games last night and I'm just really confused about what is going on.

Half of all the characters are currently locked for me and I'm not able to play them, despite them being readily available on OW1. I've also lost all of the cosmetics I've purchased from OW1, except whatever was equipped on my character when the transition happened. A friend bought the battle pass and still has characters locked up. Is this a bug? How can they launch like this?

My initial reaction was, "wow, these queue times are ridiculous, I'm not playing" and now that I've finally gotten in my reaction is, "wow, I lost access to all the things I used to have and don't have access to anything new, I'm not playing." Good job by Blizzard to really bring previously disinterested players back into the fold.

Won't comment on balance because I just did a few quick play games but Reaper, Sombra, Lucio, Sigma, Widow, and Ash all felt exactly the same as they did in OW1.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I don’t like that I have to give my phone number and make an account just to play this thing
It's not just OW2, It's all Activision/Blizzard products moving forward.

Because hackers.

I finally got to play a handful of quick play games last night and I'm just really confused about what is going on.

Half of all the characters are currently locked for me and I'm not able to play them, despite them being readily available on OW1. I've also lost all of the cosmetics I've purchased from OW1, except whatever was equipped on my character when the transition happened. A friend bought the battle pass and still has characters locked up. Is this a bug? How can they launch like this?

My initial reaction was, "wow, these queue times are ridiculous, I'm not playing" and now that I've finally gotten in my reaction is, "wow, I lost access to all the things I used to have and don't have access to anything new, I'm not playing." Good job by Blizzard to really bring previously disinterested players back into the fold.

Won't comment on balance because I just did a few quick play games but Reaper, Sombra, Lucio, Sigma, Widow, and Ash all felt exactly the same as they did in OW1.
The locked player issue is a known issue and they're working on it. It should be fixed by now.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
My wife and her friends played OW1 very regularly, they're not very good, but they seem to be mostly enjoying the "new" game. It's an adjustment going from 6 players to 5, but it seems like it'll balance the game out way more.

I can only play Soldier and Reaper, so I can't give much input, lol.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Anyone want to team up with a noob player who mains Moira in unraked because I don't have enough wins to play ranked yet lol? Having fun learning the game although seems really tough solo playing when teammates don't stay together

Reactions: Rodgerwilco
Sep 19, 2008
Anyone want to team up with a noob player who mains Moira in unraked because I don't have enough wins to play ranked yet lol? Having fun learning the game although seems really tough solo playing when teammates don't stay together
Does this have sbmm too or individual servers

Sep 19, 2008
Overwatch has a full competitive ladder.
I'm so sick of sbmm and the lack of individual servers to pick and choose from. Nowadays the game has to assign you to lobbies and then breaks the darn thing up after the round ends. Not my cup of tea

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm so sick of sbmm and the lack of individual servers to pick and choose from. Nowadays the game has to assign you to lobbies and then breaks the darn thing up after the round ends. Not my cup of tea
Overwatch has a button you can press to stay with your previous teammates, if you want. There's also Arcade modes that will retain the same players. The workshop mode in OW1 had individual lobbies, and once that returns to OW2 I would assume it will stay that way.

Sep 19, 2008
Overwatch has a button you can press to stay with your previous teammates, if you want. There's also Arcade modes that will retain the same players. The workshop mode in OW1 had individual lobbies, and once that returns to OW2 I would assume it will stay that way.
Good. I'll do my research before hopping into this one. Has the rough start been addressed

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Good. I'll do my research before hopping into this one. Has the rough start been addressed
The log-in issues were pretty much the first 36 hours only (and supposedly were the result of a DDOS, but Blizzard launches are always awful so i doubt it personally). You may occasionally still hit a log-in queue at peak hours, but now it's a matter of seconds rather than hours.
The hero disable issue was also solved.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Played a little more last night, it's the same game and isn't anymore fun.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
How does this work exactly? I've tried it and at times it doesn't work. I assume the rest of the team have to do the same thing? If so, I've found in my little experience that hardly anyone uses it

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
How does this work exactly? I've tried it and at times it doesn't work. I assume the rest of the team have to do the same thing? If so, I've found in my little experience that hardly anyone uses it
Each player who uses it will be put into a party together and queued up for the next game. You’re correct that it’s used pretty rarely.

Sep 19, 2008
apparently haven't been paying enough attention because this game is free to play

Now, some may shake their head at the notion of F2p or pay to win or lootboxes but shit, give me ALL the free games you have. I would much rather take that than the 70 dollars it costs for the latest iteration of some new game like Yakuza / NHL / Madden / FIFA. "You're being a leech". No! No! I will spend like 10 dollars on a pack if I want to support the developers. And whatever it costs for DLC is MUCH less than the trumped-up price these fat cats want to c harge for games now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad