Confirmed with Link: Ovechkin 5x9.5m

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
I am really happy that it looks like OV will retire a Cap. That is pretty cool. But this is obviously overpayment and I’m not sure how we win another cup with the roster as it is constructed now.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I am really happy that it looks like OV will retire a Cap. That is pretty cool. But this is obviously overpayment and I’m not sure how we win another cup with the roster as it is constructed now.

How is it overpayment? Was he overpaid last season or the season before?

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
How is it overpayment? Was he overpaid last season or the season before?
I think last season he was slightly overpaid and I don’t think it will get any better only worse. Father time is undefeated and I can’t recall a forward at 37/38 that produced at a 9.5 million dollar level.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think last season he was slightly overpaid and I don’t think it will get any better only worse. Father time is undefeated and I can’t recall a forward at 37/38 that produced at a 9.5 million dollar level.

Yes, yes. Father time is undefeated. I should mark you down for saying that father time beats Ovechkin this season. What is the number of goals scored were you give Ov credit not losing this next season? 40? 50? 60?

Jun 15, 2007
Yes, yes. Father time is undefeated. I should mark you down for saying that father time beats Ovechkin this season. What is the number of goals scored were you give Ov credit not losing this next season? 40? 50? 60?

Anything above 40 would exceed expectations.

Reactions: Ovie's Neighbor

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
If he's about that record he has to be in the 40s this year.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
It's not obvious at all.
1) Look at the players who make above $9M, most of them are way poorer contracts then Ovechkin.
2) Capitals are an old team, but still a team filled with world class talent. Even not being a prime contender, another good playoff run is definitely not in the "unthinkable" territory.
3) AO is in a unique position when his personal achievements may have bigger legacy than more team trophies. As was well said above, we get a new Stanley Cup champion every year and we may never see another shot at Gretzky's major records. If he comes reasonably close to the goals record, the publicity for the Caps will likely far exceed the attention the reigning champion will attract. Ovechkin isn't just being paid to lead the team, he's being paid for the greatest goal scorer ever to be a career Cap.

Reactions: Raikkonen

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
If Ovie scores even half as many goals as ’father time’ is mentioned with his new contract he will break the record in the first 10 games next season.

Every contract done is terrible in hfboards.

Ive been all smiles after seeing the 5 years on the contract. Ill propably continue to do so for a long time.

Reactions: Eirikrautha

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

Teemu Selanne.

He did it basically each season through age 38-40. 31 goals and 80 points in 73 games as a 40-year old.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
5 years? Someone give me a reason outside of the heart to be happy about this please.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
5 years? Someone give me a reason outside of the heart to be happy about this please.

A reason? You need help to come up with one? Come on. You are acting like he is going to score 29 goals this season and 22 the season after that. There is no reason to expect any less of Ovechkin than what Ovechkin has done so far in his 30s. Would you honestly be surprised if he won the Rocket this season? If you would be, then I can't help you at all.

You have to think breaking the record is a pipedream to think its an instant bad contract

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad