Out of Town - Who's your team during these Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
What killed Dallas is there secondary scoring. Dallas are 9th overall league wide in goal against so their D and goalies seems to doing a good job.

After Dallas big 3, the rest of their forwards are in the 30s in points.

Haha could you imagine that... haha...

Sad_Habs_Fan.jpg

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Really sucks to see our eternal enemies having so much success and great future..

and we're here comparing our club with the worst teams in the league.

It goes up and down. We were doing that 4 years ago too. Leafs are young but they might not win either.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
1. Nashville Predators
2. Washington Capitals
3. Winnipeg Jets
4. Los Angeles Kings
5. Tampa Bay Lightning
6. Toronto Maple Leafs

Never Pittsburgh and Never Boston

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Boston won the Cup in 2011. And in 2018, they are right back at contending. And somehow, we did nothing wrong. Bergevin is great. We draft great! Everyting is perfect. We just need to be more patient.

**** off.
Bruins also went to game 6 of finals in 013.

They have the best first line in the league. Their role players are better than some teams top players. Their rookies and second year players bring it every night. Both goalies can beat you. And they have Chara.

MB could put them in the lottery in no time. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: groovejuice

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Tomas Plekanec.. ultimate embarassment to Molson and Bergevin.
The realization that you can rebuild in a market like Montreal and it be successful.

I would not be mad if Toronto goes far. I mean it's a fun team to watch and none of the fefans will cheer for it. I just can't cheer for the same team fefans are. I simply can't.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

We shouldn't be surprised that the Bergevin defenders are salty.

I've participated in many internet debates in my life -- too many. Spanning subjects such as video games, politics, health, sports, culture, etc.

It's been a while since I've seen such own age. Bergevin has been a severe and comprehensive failure on all fronts, and so it might lead to a crisis of confidence in his defenders. They might feel that it's a sign of poor judgment.

But they shouldn't be. Nobody has perfect judgment. We've all made some bone-headed predictions from time to time that were proven catastrophically wrong.

Back in 2002, when I was an angry young conservative, I was arguing in support of the Iraq war, I thought that it was a good idea. That was surely a dumber stance than supporting Bergevin. I'm better off seeing that failed prediction as a learning experience, rather than pretending that I was right all along as some people still are.

So anyway the Bergevin defenders should just move on in my opinion, which many of them have. There were various reasons to support him -- he had experience in the game, we were tired from the Gauthier debacle, he was good-looking and charismatic. Ultimately, however, it didn't work out due to other factors. Men like David Poile are better managers. That happens sometimes.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I would not be mad if Toronto goes far. I mean it's a fun team to watch and none of the fefans will cheer for it. I just can't cheer for the same team fefans are. I simply can't.

Toronto shows the right way to build a team.

Sell your good players (Kessel, Phaneuf, etc), tank for a few years, hire good coaches, and let the young kids play.

However, they are not strong enough in my opinion. Depending on how you look at things, they either de-tanked too early, or they've failed to improve their defense. Perhaps they have great defensive prospects (I don't know), or they'll succeed in fixing the issue on the trade and UFA market.

There's a team that needs Shea Weber, lol.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Tomas Plekanec.. ultimate embarassment to Molson and Bergevin.
The realization that you can rebuild in a market like Montreal and it be successful.

Eh, I don't think they'll be that embarrassed by Toronto winning. Pittsburgh and Chicago are already big markets that won Cups by sucking for a while, Toronto isn't doing anything new.

Sell your good players (Kessel, Phaneuf, etc), tank for a few years, hire good coaches, and let the young kids play.

You're forgetting the most important part of their rebuild, luck. If they fell to 4th and got Puljujarvi instead of Matthews they'd have missed the playoffs last year and maybe again this year and we'd all be talking about what a failure their rebuild is. Being horrible isn't the guaranteed future Cup contender it used to be, finishing last only gives you 4th pick guaranteed and you're not guaranteed a stud with that pick.

Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
But why Nashvile?....oh wait.....Nevermind

There are reasons aside from Subban to support Nashville.

1) It's good for the growth of hockey. Nashville is an emerging market, there's not a lot of competition, and the team's popularity is growing there. They apparently have a nice atmosphere in their arena. If you want the game to be popular, then that's a good choice.

2) Nashville's David Poile has a management philosophy that should be supported, as it's a feel-good indicator if he succeeds. He started off with an expansion team, and he could not buy his way to a championship as he had a low budget. He has suffered significant losses from Ryan Suter walking (one of the top UFA losses of the cap era) and Webersheet, which would have crippled weaker GMs. He did not have the expansion to tank as ... well he did not tank. In contrast, all other recent Stanley cup winners (LA, Chicago, Pittsburgh) have relied on tanks to build championship teams.

Nashville is winning off good trades, drafting, and coaching. Aside from the Subban trade, it was Nashville that picked up Filip Forsberg. There were presumably lots of other teams that could have made an offer for Forsberg, but Nashville was the smart team that did. They made a ballsy strategic trade of Seth Jones for Ryan Johansen.

Last year, they lost in the finals due to weak offensive depth and a weak third pairing. So they didn't stand still. They've added Kyle Turris, Nick Bonino, Ryan Hartman, Eli Tolvanen (whom lots of teams passed on), and Alexei Emelin. They've addressed their weaknesses in a very strategic and comprehensive manner. That is in contrast to teams like the Habs that go six years thinking that they're a top centre and top-4 dman away from being competitive. Trades are hard, the Turris trade was definitely hard.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

However, they are not strong enough in my opinion. Depending on how you look at things, they either de-tanked too early, or they've failed to improve their defense. Perhaps they have great defensive prospects (I don't know), or they'll succeed in fixing the issue on the trade and UFA market.

There's a team that needs Shea Weber, lol.

Weber for Nylander and Rielly :sarcasm:

Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
You're forgetting the most important part of their rebuild, luck. If they fell to 4th and got Puljujarvi instead of Matthews they'd have missed the playoffs last year and maybe again this year and we'd all be talking about what a failure their rebuild is. Being horrible isn't the guaranteed future Cup contender it used to be, finishing last only gives you 4th pick guaranteed and you're not guaranteed a stud with that pick.

If Toronto hadn't drafted Matthews then they might have drafted Laine, or then they would have tanked again and added yet another good player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad