HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
There were a lot of factors besides the contract as far as Michkov goes. The differences between Michkov & Demidov during their draft years is startling.

Michkov: Teams, for whatever reason, didn't get any live viewings or interviews in season, except for Philadelphia.

Demidov: Teams got live viewings & he spoke to scouts. Montreal got at least one live viewing maybe more. Chicago's scout spoke to him in-season.

Michkov: refused to do interviews after season and said everything would happen at the draft then held a secret interview for Philadelphia only, where he toured their facility.

Demidov: Has setup his own combine in Florida, so that he can work out for & interview with interested teams. I assume Montreal will be there.

Michkov: He signed that lengthy contract, which was problematic for some teams. It's a huge unknown. Hindsight is 50/50.

Demidov: has refused to sign an extension so far, and has made it clear he wants to play in NHL.

No one will ever know all the behind scenes play on this, but it seems to me that Michkov set things up so he would be drafted by Philadelphia. Why? No idea. They're hardly the ideal oorganization. They certainly wouldn't be my first choice.

I'm more than happy to draft Demidov, and hope that he's there at #5. He seems like a straight up dude with the way he's handled things.
I look at the Top 10 that draft and in terms of growing your own brand, Philadelphia seems to make the most sense. 8th in the US for metro area size, popular team starving for some excitement, ownership group with really deep pockets. Washington is slightly bigger but you’ll always be the “other Russian” when compared to Ovechkin. Seems like a calculated move on his part.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I look at the Top 10 that draft and in terms of growing your own brand, Philadelphia seems to make the most sense. 8th in the US for metro area size, popular team starving for some excitement, ownership group with really deep pockets. Washington is slightly bigger but you’ll always be the “other Russian” when compared to Ovechkin. Seems like a calculated move on his part.
Come on man. How deep do you have to go to pull this out?

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
I must be a terrible person but I honestly wouldn't be able to stomach any other Canadian team winning the cup before the Habs do it again! I don't care how long it takes but just like I can't see Fig, Oiler, Jets, Sens, Nucks or Flames fans cheering for the Habs, I would never be able to cheer for them.

I dislike the Rags and the Panthers so, by process of elimination, that leaves Dallas. Let's go Stars, I guess?

Last edited:

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
I must be a terrible person but I honestly wouldn't be able to stomach any other Canadian team winning the cup before the Habs do it again! I don't care how long it takes but just like I can't see Fig, Oiler, Jets, Sens, Nucks or Flames fans cheering for the Habs, I would never be able to cheer for them.

I dislike the Rags and the Panthers so, by process of elimination, that leaves Dallas. Let's go Stars, I guess?
I don't think you are a terrible person, but I also think patriotism is as idiotic as it gets. :D

Habs or nobody, just good hockey is all that I desire when they are eliminated.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
A comparison of the drafted players on the teams left in the playoffs who have been playing most of the games:

Dallas (11): Robertson, Hintz, Johnston, Benn, Faksa, Dellandrea, Stankoven, Heiskanen, Harley, Lindell, Oettinger
Edmonton (9): McDavid, Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopkins, McLeod, Holloway, Bouchard, Nurse, Desharnais, Skinner
Florida (4): Barkov, Lundell, Ekblad, Kulikov
NY Rangers (9): Kreider, Lafreniere, Cuylle, Kakko, Rempe, Chytil, Schneider, Miller, Shesterkin
Vancouver (5 or 6): Pettersson, Boeser, Hoglander, Q. Hughes, Demko/Silovs

Rangers are a little deceiving because a number of their best players were drafted/signed by other teams (Panarin, Zibanejad, Fox, Trocheck, Trouba). Florida re-signed Kulikov after he played with other teams or there would be three. Dallas is the team most built through the draft of the five.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Even if KK gets bought out he still got paid nearly 25 million dollars for three years producing as a fourth liner in Carolina. That's an average of 8.2 mil per year. That's equal to Brady Tkachuk's cap hit and more than a hell of a lot of top line forwards and top pairing dmen.

And he gets to hit UFA at 23-24 and pick a better organization. Ironically he would fit our needs and Marty would be a much better coach for him. He put up what 7 points after November? That's clearly mental when he put up 40 last year not getting top six linemates. Rod basically gave his job to jack Drury who is slightly older, much smaller, less established, and has less upside.

The funny thing is he basically swapped their roles from last year and Drury produced less than KK did as third line C, and now KK outproduced what drury did as 4C last year.

Add KK for free and trade for Necas.

Slaf-Suzuki-Caufield
Newhook-Dach-Necas
??-KK-??
??-Evans-??

Not bad young group. We're clearly lacking wingers so half those ? will be corpses.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Last edited:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

It’s not the Olympics so I don’t care about country and patriotism for the Cup. That said, I’m not anti-Canadian teams per se. I wouldn’t be rooting for Toronto or Ottawa. I was born in Vancouver so I would be happy if they won. I’m indifferent to Calgary and Winnipeg as well as Edmonton but I would like to see McDavid win.

Reactions: Runner77 and Tyson

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Miller and Pettersons line hemming McDavid in. McDavid with a bad turnover on the boards trying to clear. Ended up with a Hyman rush and Bouchard shot. Great game up to now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad