HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
We will see if I watch Nucks, Coilers or not

Will be a tough sell if Stuart Shitter is starting. Dont know if i can put myself through another game of his

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I would add Thomas Harley to that list and while we are at it...this Dallas team drafted Jamie Benn in the 5th round in 2007. I live 20 minutes from the Texas Stars venue, the HEB Center and everything they do with the minor league team is first rate. The HEB Center looks like an NHL rink minus the upper bowl. They draft well but it can't be understated how well they develop their young players.
We do have good development now however, they can only develop to the extent of a player’s attributes. You first and foremost need those hawks and number crunchers to target the right players. Maybe Dallas’ model can be emulated.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I'm not surprised. Bergevin does have flaws but I do think he was better in the last 1/3 of his tenure than he was in the middle 1/3. Some of our best pieces comes from Bergevin (like it or not)... Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle, Roy.

The real question is has he learned from his mistakes.
Bergevin's tenue was definitely a rollercoaster. For me it's his trade deadlines and offseasons that stand out. He could have been more aggressive when we had competitive teams and had 2 offseasons that set the team back (2017 and 2021).

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
So jealous of Dallas getting Wyatt Johnston late 1st round.
Wish our scouts could hit it like that.
He slipped through the cracks in his pandemic draft year, when the OHL shut down. Sure Dallas deserves credit for drafting him but they also got lucky. He wouldn’t have gotten to their pick without the pandemic.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
One bad thing if Bergevin becomes GM in Columbus is I'm convinced he would take Lindstrom. Fits his mold.
What’s weird about him though is… he didn’t draft or trade that way. And he drafted players his coaches didn’t like.

Got Galchenyuk - Therrien hated him
Signed Briere - Therrien hated him
Got Vanek - Therrien hated him
Got KK - Julien hated him

Just made no sense in how he did things.

Honestly, who knows how this guy drafts?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He slipped through the cracks in his pandemic draft year, when the OHL shut down. Sure Dallas deserves credit for drafting him but they also got lucky. He wouldn’t have gotten to their pick without the pandemic.
Covid got us Xhekaj and Mailloux.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The flip side is you’ve got to be good to be lucky. They are definitely doing something right.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Interesting excerpt from Basu in The Athletic:

On Ghuele’s expected goals against; “expected goals against per 60 minutes of five-on-five ice time relative to a player’s teammates. In other words, how does that number change when he’s off the ice? In looking at that stat, Evolving Hockey showed Kaiden Guhle finished eighth among NHL defencemen who played at least 1,000 minutes at five-on-five this season.

What was more interesting about that stat is when it came to actual goals against per 60 relative to his teammates, Guhle was 14th-worst among those same defencemen. The only other player on that list who had a bigger disparity between his expected goals and actual goals was San Jose Sharks defenceman Mario Ferraro, who was seventh-worst in actual goals against relative to his teammates and was 11th-best in expected goals against.”

So basically, he played really well defensively but got scored on a lot. :laugh:

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Is it exceptions if the same team keeps doing it?

Oettinger
Robertson
Stankoven
Hintz
Bourque
Johnston

They have been doing an excellent job of finding core players out of the top 10. We need to find a way to ensure we do the same.
Fire our amateur scouts and hire theirs ?

Never an easy solution. Personally I think they should crowd-fund scouting :D

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad