HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
Hmmmm, their Cup window has closed and they'll slide next year imo but very doubtful they go from 6th overall/Presidents trophy contender to out of the playoffs in 1 year. The year after? Sure
Maybe, but the only thing that can save their asses is goaltending, otherwise, they're gonna have problems.

Reactions: windycity

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
You should watch the whole clip, that one has been deceptively edited. McDavid started it with a lumberjack swing on Soucy after the whistle, which really isn't something you should do when the other team is looking for any excuse to rough you up.
The league protects stars. If they were consistent they would suspend the 2 Cucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77 and Tyson

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Hey Edmonton, are you enjoying watching your subpar goaltending year after year?

It's like a freaking adventure whenever the other team has the puck in the zone. Got to imagine it's like a minor house league game where you got like 3-4 good players but the rest of the team can't do anything and the goalie lets in every shot thrown at them.

Reactions: Runner77 and Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It's like a freaking adventure whenever the other team has the puck in the zone. Got to imagine it's like a minor house league game where you got like 3-4 good players but the rest of the team can't do anything and the goalie lets in every shot thrown at them.
Opposite of the Carey Price era. Habs had the elite goal tending without any decent players up front. Edmonton has 2 upper tier stars and a decent group up front but have AHL level goaltending.

Reactions: Runner77

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
DeSmith was sitting there for an entire month and Allen for 6 months way to go Oilers.

EK7KMKSW4AINFdN.jpg

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Opposite of the Carey Price era. Habs had the elite goal tending without any decent players up front. Edmonton has 2 upper tier stars and a decent group up front but have AHL level goaltending.
It’s what I’ve said so many times to people who’ve said your best player can’t be a goalie. Of course it can. You need the right MIX.

The Oilers have two of the best players in the league and they play like it every playoff but still can’t advance. How many cups have they missed out on because ‘goaltending’ doesn’t matter? Even if you can somehow win a cup that way, you’ll have missed out on so many others.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
I’ve been enjoying Florida out Bruins the Bruins right now and hearing the Bruins’ fan base whine about everything they've always championed about their own team. It's been fun to watch.

Out west, I really love Draisaitl but man he should just shut the f*** up and dial back the embellishment. The Oilers seem more concerned with battling the refs than the Canucks.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
So much this.

I don’t even like the Oilers but the unwillingness to step up and pay the price for passable goaltending will cost them again and again. We were giving them away.

Half the GM’s in the league have this mindset now, total losers.
Colorado… same thing. Why are you taking that risk? They won a cup but how many more could they have won? That team’s an all-star club but they are wasting seasons because they neglect goaltending. Maybe they can win it but it just seems like such a dumb risk to take.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
It’s what I’ve said so many times to people who’ve said your best player can’t be a goalie. Of course it can. You need the right MIX.

The Oilers have two of the best players in the league and they play like it every playoff but still can’t advance. How many cups have they missed out on because ‘goaltending’ doesn’t matter? Even if you can somehow win a cup that way, you’ll have missed out on so many others.
Fans of teams that say this do so to cope with the fact that their goaltending sucks. Leafs fans, Oilers fans, Colorado, etc.

There haven't been many times a team has won the cup and the goalie hasn't played well. Sure, there's been times random goalies come in and win the cup (Binnington, Ward, etc) but these guys played insanely well when they came in. Good goaltending matters and always has.

Reactions: Gustave

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
DeSmith was sitting there for an entire month and Allen for 6 months way to go Oilers.

EK7KMKSW4AINFdN.jpg
While Allen/DeSmith would probably help them beat the Canucks, they would still get feasted on by the Avs/Stars. They should have given up whatever to get Saros in addition to Ekholm in that trade.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So much this.

I don’t even like the Oilers but the unwillingness to step up and pay the price for passable goaltending will cost them again and again. We were giving them away.

Half the GM’s in the league have this mindset now, total losers.
If they were all winners and smart, who would Hughes have to take advantage of?

Let them continue to be inept and keep getting hired. Loving it.

Reactions: Gustave

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Fuddu?

The Punjabi word "Fuddu" is commonly used to describe a person who is considered stupid, naive, or gullible. It refers to someone who is easily fooled or deceived.

can't stand these fake tough guys behind the glass...what a clown

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Just a couple observations…

Edmonton’s depth isn’t doing much scoring but Skinner is singlehandedly costing them the series. I get some goals were good goals but you need your goalie to sometimes make those game savers. At the minimum, goalie has to save what they should be saving.

Boston, F*** them but while I think Florida is a far superior team and this series is going how I expected, I really am stunned this Boston team beat the Leafs. I mean, F*** the Leafs also, but if Toronto had any heart and a coach that can fire up their boys, Boston should had been cooked.
Skinner is so frustrating because individually each of the goals he lets in can be excused. (oh there was a bit of a screen, oh it was a pretty good shot, oh it was a cross crease pass, oh it was a rebound, o) They're not terrible goals. For the most part. But collectively he just lets too many goals in.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Tiens, tiens, tiens... Quelle surprise, qui l'aurait cru ?

Can't wait to see him wreck the NHL as our fans tell us that he was too risky and we couldn't have known...
That likely wasn’t the reason the Habs passed on Michkov but it was a widely held view by fans.

Can’t wait to see him playing so we can finally ascertain whether the Habs flubbed, if at all.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
That likely wasn’t the reason the Habs passed on Michkov but it was a widely held view by fans.

Can’t wait to see him playing so we can finally ascertain whether the Habs flubbed, if at all.
Yeah I want to see what kind of player he is. He can certainly rack up the points but something going on with that kid. To be a fly on the wall when scouts discuss him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
TVA pointing out that after McDavid got brutally cross-checked by Soucy and Zadorov, his teammates appeared to be rather uninvolved instead of jumping in and defending their captain and let those Nucks players know that their actions are not acceptable.

Must not have been pleasant in the Oiler dressing room after the fact.

There’s likely to be payback in Game 4.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
TVA pointing out that after McDavid got brutally cross-checked by Soucy and Zadorov, his teammates appeared to be rather uninvolved instead of jumping in and defending their captain and let those Nucks players know that their actions are not acceptable.
Sounds awfully familiar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad