HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
and cucks like Engels want to expand the playoffs.

It's watered down enough.

It definitely is. Washington was a terrible team to make the playoffs. NYI aren't much better. Ditto the Kings & Preds. Kings only got 3rd because Vegas struggled with injuries. Edmonton's lucky it's not Edmonton-Vegas 1st round match-up, while Dallas is unlucky in their match-up.

Montreal needs to up their offensive depth, and keep their big, physical D-men.

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
I have a hatred for Tampa.

I remember once everyone was crazy over Brisebois. He's not so hot now. Once his star players start to age.
yesssss.. the cheaters get bounced in the first round again ! Next cheater to hopefully get bounced is Vegas 🤗

Reactions: LV426

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Some players should take a look at guys like Crosby and Stamkos who didn't try to extract every nickel they could on their contracts and have cup rings to show for it. They left some room for their teams to add depth players. I wonder how Kane and Toews feel about how their contracts impacted Chicago.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
yesssss.. the cheaters get bounced in the first round again ! Next cheater to hopefully get bounced is Vegas 🤗
They didn't cheat. I am hoping HuGo will do the same thing when Habs are contenders. If the NHL isn't going to do something about it then use it. And if you aren't cheatin' you aren't trying anyway.
Because guaranteed other teams are cheating.

Reactions: the

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Some players should take a look at guys like Crosby and Stamkos who didn't try to extract every nickel they could on their contracts and have cup rings to show for it. They left some room for their teams to add depth players. I wonder how Kane and Toews feel about how their contracts impacted Chicago.
Crosby was the highest paid player in the league when he signed his deal, Stamkos’ deal was top-3

It’s like Bergeron & Marchand - they simply got f*cked due to timing, because Draisaitl RFA deal changed the entire NHL salary landscape

It’s a business everyone knows it players, owners, management, and agents. Discounts are a myth, will a player sacrifice a couple of $100K on a $10M salary sure but no player leaves $1M+ on the table

In the case of TBay, no state income tax allowed for Lightning to match market pricing - only Habs & Leafs would’ve been able to pay more than a US team for Stamkos, unlike Tavares whose wife wanted back to Toronto to be close to her family, Stamkos didn’t have the same pressure and enjoyed anonymity of Fla

Vasilevsky & Bobrovsky are making less when looking at AAV, but their take home is significantly more than Price

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Keep in mind that a lot of players are under significant pressure by the union to keep their salary elevated. If they aren’t pushing the boundaries it affects other players.

Carey Price signed for the exact same cap percentage Lundqvist did. He could’ve probably gone for more but by taking what he did, he reconfirmed the ceiling for what a goalie can make. All others are judged by that cap percentage hit.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Stars/Knights Panthers/Bolts are/were fun.

Caps and Isles really had no business in the playoffs but the Sabres and Devils decided goalies are not important.

Hockey fans will have the last laugh that LTIR shit made them do a brutal mistake (acquire Hertl)

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Crosby was the highest paid player in the league when he signed his deal, Stamkos’ deal was top-3

It’s like Bergeron & Marchand - they simply got f*cked due to timing, because Draisaitl RFA deal changed the entire NHL salary landscape

It’s a business everyone knows it players, owners, management, and agents. Discounts are a myth, will a player sacrifice a couple of $100K on a $10M salary sure but no player leaves $1M+ on the table

In the case of TBay, no state income tax allowed for Lightning to match market pricing - only Habs & Leafs would’ve been able to pay more than a US team for Stamkos, unlike Tavares whose wife wanted back to Toronto to be close to her family, Stamkos didn’t have the same pressure and enjoyed anonymity of Fla

Vasilevsky & Bobrovsky are making less when looking at AAV, but their take home is significantly more than Price
I disagree because I believe they could have gotten more on the open market at the time. MacKinnon was another player that signed for less on his previous deal. I haven`t researched this but it was been stated numerous times in the media that no team had won the cup with a $10 million dollar player.

Reactions: the and Runner77

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
690 says nostrils on the ice and left , out there very short
its not stomach , he is hurt
SN showed him struggling to skate at the end of the 2nd period and never came back
I guess we'll never know how the Leafs would look in the playoffs if they had a full-strength Matthews.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
I disagree because I believe they could have gotten more on the open market at the time. MacKinnon was another player that signed for less on his previous deal. I haven`t researched this but it was been stated numerous times in the media that no team had won the cup with a $10 million dollar player.

Not a whole lot more in Crosby's case (people just tend to look at the AAV and forget that deal was signed 11 years ago and was worth 104.4M at the time) he got 14.5% of the cap back then and the upper limit is 20%, no one ever got more than 17%, IIRC McDavid was the highest at 16.7%.

Also the last part isn't correct since VGK won. And wasn't a great argument before that because the Bolts won with two 9.5M players, twice. It's a scarcity thing more than anything, 10+M contract aren't that common to begins with, it's only 15 players currently spread across 11 teams. And it was 8 players on 7 different teams five years ago (2019).

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Crosby deal at the time of signature was 14% of the cap - which is standard for “franchise players” Matthews, McDavid etc are all in the 14-15% range.

As for MacKinnon keep in mind when he signed his previous deal he was a 50pts player and was being labeled a 1OA “bust” by some. His current deal is again that magic 14% of cap…

Top end players do not take “discounts” it’s pure BS

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Yup, majority of series are only going 5 games.

Jets, Preds & Islanders should all be done tomorrow. Then Kings on Wednesday.

Knowing the Leafs, they'll beat Bruins tomorrow then lose at home on Thursday.

Not a great 1st round. NHL is top heavy. 2nd Round should be better with Dallas/Vegas vs Colorado. Vancouver/Edmonton, Boston/Florida and Carolina/NYR, all legitimately good teams.
Probably the worst 1st round I've seen in a while. Not a lot of competitive series. The Capitals didnt play like a playoff team, really wished the Wings or Pens made it. At least the storyline and players would have been good to follow.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad