HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Marner and Tavares gone would help the Leafs quite a bit. Has that Tavares contract ruined their entire window? It might have.
I would say it has.

He's helped them and likely couldn't have used that to get a player in a one-on-one comparison, but the players you could have gotten likely make a better team construction.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
I would say it has.

He's helped them and likely couldn't have used that to get a player in a one-on-one comparison, but the players you could have gotten likely make a better team construction.
This was always the issue. Most people didn't question the Tavares signing at the time, but many people did voice some concerns about whether they really needed him, and the issues with the cap going forward. Those concerns, which mostly looked at the later years of the contract, were dismissed. The issues with the signing started to sprout right away, though, such as needing to trade Marleau for a 1st rounder.

This is a lesson for all teams. Ottawa didn't learn their lesson, and neither did the media, when the Sens signed all those vet forwards. Everyone proclaimed that the summer of Dorion, and it has been a disaster.

Team construction is the most important thing in hockey. You don't take/sign a huge contract just for the sake of it. This isn't like the draft where BPA should rule all.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Marner and Tavares gone would help the Leafs quite a bit. Has that Tavares contract ruined their entire window? It might have.
Ironically just about every talking head (Gord Miller, Bobby Mac & entire TSN crew, McGuire etc) predicted it once the UFA signing was announced - everyone thought that $$ should have been used on upgrading D, especially acquiring a top pairing Dman…..

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
He said the same thing against Tampa. The thing is on the play in question, Bertuzzi didn't need to engage with Marchand at all. He gave Marchand a small crosscheck, the rat gave it back then backed away. Bertuzzi followed him to engage some more and that's when Marchand used the can opener on him.

I thought refs were going to stop play due to both players being idiots, but they didn't. It was play on. I'm fine with that. Marchand is a smaller player. He's going to use his stick to protect himself against Bertuzzi. Byron did the same thing, and got a bit of free reign for it from refs.

Bertuzzi is an idiot for going after Marchand like he is.

Besides, Toronto had 5 PP opportunities and couldn't score on any of them. Plus, their pk sucks.
Keefe is such a f***ing whiner...I get him trying to take the pressure off his players, but all he sounds like is a nervous whiner

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Not to defend the Leafs but the cap stopped going up right when Tavares signed in 18-19 and then covid added another 4 year of flat cap. Cap was projected at 90M. (7M hit)

Also, paying 15% more for your players is now normalized in tax hell franchises. (12.5M hit) the deals signed in Dallas & Florida vs Toronto and Vancouver show this is true.

That's a ~20M handicap.

1000003666.jpg

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
A pretty definite sign of things to come for the next TV deal in Canada, for the English language part at the very least. Better find yourself a good internet connection, if you haven't got one already!

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Not to defend the Leafs but the cap stopped going up right when Tavares signed in 18-19 and then covid added another 4 year of flat cap. Cap was projected at 90M. (7M hit)

Also, paying 15% more for your players is now normalized in tax hell franchises. (12.5M hit) the deals signed in Dallas & Florida vs Toronto and Vancouver show this is true.

That's a ~20M handicap.

View attachment 859391
True. It's more that they used the money for the wrong player (s) than that they overpaid for him.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
A pretty definite sign of things to come for the next TV deal in Canada, for the English language part at the very least. Better find yourself a good internet connection, if you haven't got one already!

No chance. They can shove it up their ass. I won't be watching the NHL if the Rogers sports package doesn't carry all games.

Reactions: Guillermo

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I'd rather watch 480p streams on sus websites vs another 12 years of Rogers Sportsnet
I have the Rogers sports package that has all NHL games (not shown on Sportsnet or TSN channels), NBA, MLB and most OHL games. Now mlb has games shown only on mlb tv (i will nor sign up even for free broadcast) and they had games that were only on twitter or some site last season. I don't watch them.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I have the Rogers sports package that has all NHL games (not shown on Sportsnet or TSN channels), NBA, MLB and most OHL games. Now mlb has games shown only on mlb tv (i will nor sign up even for free broadcast) and they had games that were only on twitter or some site last season. I don't watch them.
AND Jen on the desk lol

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Yes it is similar how prime has NFL Thursday Night games in the US.

sorry to ask a dumb ?, is amazon prime the same as prime video?
Prime Monday Night Hockey will stream all national regular season Monday night NHL games in English for the 2024/25 and 2025/26 NHL seasons. The deal is the NHL’s first exclusive national broadcast package with a digital-only streaming service in Canada. The Prime Monday Night Hockey package, produced by Prime Video, will feature a new broadcast team offering in-depth analysis and play-by-play coverage, and stream live exclusively to Prime members in Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad