HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Indeed.

Though there is a real pattern of his offensive production faltering in the post season.

.9ppg in 50 playoff games
1.11ppg in almost 600 regular season games

He's paid like an superstar, but doesn't seem able to carry over that level of impact to the post season... and certainly does shy away from imposing himself physically.

In a high visibility / high pressure market like Toronto, it's understandable that he's getting crucified.

Laffs management probably shouldve figured this out sooner and traded him already.

Unless he pulls a 180 and helps lead the Laffs to a cup finals, I'll be surprised if he isn't traded this summer. Best for boat sides, especially if he goes somewhere like Utah or another US market
NMC and he’s not the kind of guy to waive it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah Marner has always been decent on the PK.
I think it's a perceived lack of willingness to pay a price that has most of that fan base in an uproar.
Marner has always been a very good special team's player he seems to excel in situations where teams are less likely to look for solid body contact.
In the playoffs it’s not just a more physical game, you’re also playing better clubs. Most player’s production sinks in the playoffs somewhat.

And on the surface, Marner’s production doesn’t look bad. But… as a series goes on his production dries up to almost nothing. Moreover, he stops scoring goals almost altogether. It’s a horrible combination.

This is just my observations- he also makes terrible gaffes in game five onwards. Remember the puck over the glass that gave us a game winning PP? Remember the rush up the ice with the puck going the other way that lead to the game winner? These aren’t stats that I can point to but it just happens all the time. As games get more importantly he chokes with turnovers and gaffes. Not someone I want to count on in the postseason.

Tons of talent. And he could turn it around at any time… but every year this is what I’ve seen.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
In the playoffs it’s not just a more physical game, you’re also playing better clubs. Most player’s production sinks in the playoffs somewhat.

And on the surface, Marner’s production doesn’t look bad. But… as a series goes on his production dries up to almost nothing. Moreover, he stops scoring goals almost altogether. It’s a horrible combination.

This is just my observations- he also makes terrible gaffes in game five onwards. Remember the puck over the glass that gave us a game winning PP? Remember the rush up the ice with the puck going the other way that lead to the game winner? These aren’t stats that I can point to but it just happens all the time. As games get more importantly he chokes with turnovers and gaffes. Not someone I want to count on in the postseason.

Tons of talent. And he could turn it around at any time… but every year this is what I’ve seen.

To further elaborate on your post.

Marner’s career stats in playoff games 5, 6, & 7 is:

18 games played, 1 goal and 8 total points.

Jul 6, 2016
The injury to Demko will cost the series for the Canucks. That’s sad. But in MTL, we know the importance of a healthy #1 goalkeeper in series.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Lehkonen was nothing at 22 (9 goals, 21 points -11). People forget quick. Lehkonen was a 3rd line defensive winger here. Many years of mismanagement led to that. His value was not more that what we got. For that value to be higher it would have required a good 2 to 3 years of proper usage. KH was moving forward and cleaning the slate and he did what he did. Anybody expecting Lehkonen to be that productive with us is dreaming. He plays for one of the 5 best offensive of the last 30 years.
I think Lehkonen was misused here and Hughes and co underappreciated and undervalued the asset and were too concerned about the paucity of RDs in the org at the time so they jumped at Barron. Avs had a much better read on Lehky.

However, this whole idea of the benefits of of playing for one of the top 5 offences of the past 30 years is not an argument without fallacies. How well did that work out for Newhook? Seems to have shown much more here and dare I say it, as much as we lost the Lehkonen deal we may well win the Newhook trade.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Disagree.

His overall tone and demeanor has shifted negatively year over year. Another offseason of fan/media backlash and I'd be surprised he isn't asking out

If you’ve listened to his interviews he has a very defiant personality. And all he has to do is say ‘no’ once and they can’t ask again. They can’t pressure him to leave.

The media can be brutal but this guy has repeatedly talked talked about the media being against the team and has an “it’s us against the world” attitude. He seems extremely entitled.

I don’t think he’s going anywhere.

Nashy

Living on Fish Island
Feb 2, 2006
Toronto
If you’ve listened to his interviews he has a very defiant personality. And all he has to do is say ‘no’ once and they can’t ask again. They can’t pressure him to leave.

The media can be brutal but this guy has repeatedly talked talked about the media being against the team and has an “it’s us against the world” attitude. He seems extremely entitled.

I'm waiting for Marner to pull a Therrien, and tell a journalist....."that's second guessing."

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

I disagree with your interpretation of his defiance & entitlement. I hear exasperation and frustration, the kind which favors defiantly wanting out vs wanting to stick around.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

I agree 100%. Marner is extremely entitled. Everything is never his fault. It's always someone else's. He brushes off losses, as, oh, well, we tried really hard, and doesn't want to be questioned about his efforts. He becomes really defensive when he's criticised about anything.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
To further elaborate on your post.

Marner’s career stats in playoff games 5, 6, & 7 is:

18 games played, 1 goal and 8 total points.
Distinct lack of fortitude seen in many smallish players in the post season. There is a reason GM's like to have a Horse or two in the corral.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
I agree 100%. Marner is extremely entitled. Everything is never his fault. It's always someone else's. He brushes off losses, as, oh, well, we tried really hard, and doesn't want to be questioned about his efforts. He becomes really defensive when he's criticised about anything.
Even though im a habs fan, it would be awesome to get drafted by my hometown Maple Leafs. Id be super comfortable as its where I grew up and it'd probably start slowly going to my head that I can do no wrong. Then that team offers me over 10 mil. Forget about it. I'd probably have the biggest ego on the team. Marner is just a spoiled brat. He has that new age Toronto mentality. he'd be better off if he went to arizona or buffulo, etc

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Even though im a habs fan, it would be awesome to get drafted by my hometown Maple Leafs. Id be super comfortable as its where I grew up and it'd probably start slowly going to my head that I can do no wrong. Then that team offers me over 10 mil. Forget about it. I'd probably have the biggest ego on the team. Marner is just a spoiled brat. He has that new age Toronto mentality. he'd be better off if he went to arizona or buffulo, etc
Arizona had the 3rd pick in his draft year and they chose Dylan Strome and Marner went the next pick

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
Marner will price himself out of town. He and papa Paul will never allow him being paid less than Nylander...​
paulmarner.png

... Who am I kidding? They will quadruple down on the core four :sarcasm:.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad