HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Also an amazing first presence yesterday for the possible reigning Norris D, talk about a stalwart ready for the playoffs. Also amazing defense to let in 4th line grinder take a clean shot on his goaltender.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
I found it funny that on just about every faceoff Marner was doing all the talking behind his hand as the "Captain" silently looked on.
i don't watch the Leafs super closely, but his playoff stats seem decent enough 🤷

52GP, 10G, 37A, 47P, +8

sure he'll never be a bruiser, but they don't all have to be on a good team

Reactions: Rapala

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
he had a brutal Controller Disconnected moment yesterday, which led to the SHG and must've been a huge letdown for the team. the Old Gray Fox must be out of steam at this point
As pretty much all 38 years old players would. It's very rare for players to still be competitive at this age. At this point he should be a complement to at least 2 or 3 better players.

I still wish Richer could’ve been with us in 93. But Kirk was awesome and Richer won in NJ. Win/win trade there.
Yeah that definitely was a win / win trade. NJ had brodeur, stevens and NIedermayer but i don.T think they win the cup without Richer he was very good for them he was their main offensive threat.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I laughed when people told me Hellebuyck was as good as Price, and I still do, I still do.

The fall of the franchise goaltender is an amazing subject.
Not really. There's just a lack of skills. People were acting the same in the deadpuck era. The fall of the Gretzky/Lemieux players, defensive system were too good, coaches were unbeatable, bla bla bla and nope was just a lack of skills at the forward position coupled with a lot of skills on defense and goalies.

Right now it's the opposite. You have McJesus, Kucherov, MacKInnon, ... and very few good dmen and honestly no great goalies at all. Guys who won the Art during the dead puck era would have trouble being top 20 atm and the best goalies of the dead puck era would win the vezina every years and Lidstrom would be hard to beat for the norris the guy was doing 65-70 points in the dead puck era and was a stud in his territory.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
To this day I still believe the 89 run was ours. That was a masterpiece of a season with Burns. Richer would’ve won his second cup with us.
It came out later that Richer had mental health issues. 50 goals then an off year then 50…. Unfortunately 89 was an ‘off year.’

Funny, in 89 I knew Calgary was a powerhouse and Richer wasn’t Richer so I knew it would be a tough slog. I wasn’t that surprised.

I did think we had a real shot in 88 though. Richer was the best player in that Boston series. Best I’ve ever seen him. And then Michael Thelvien slashed him and broke his thumb. That was all she wrote. That series was the first time we’d lost to the Bruins in like 25 years. And then we kept losing… for whatever reason Roy was absolute crap vs Boston.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not really. There's just a lack of skills. People were acting the same in the deadpuck era. The fall of the Gretzky/Lemieux players, defensive system were too good, coaches were unbeatable, bla bla bla and nope was just a lack of skills at the forward position coupled with a lot of skills on defense and goalies.

Right now it's the opposite. You have McJesus, Kucherov, MacKInnon, ... and very few good dmen and honestly no great goalies at all. Guys who won the Art during the dead puck era would have trouble being top 20 atm and the best goalies of the dead puck era would win the vezina every years and Lidstrom would be hard to beat for the norris the guy was doing 65-70 points in the dead puck era and was a stud in his territory.
It is however a positive feedback loop, the talent, the era and the goaltending talent all feed off each other and create the environement we watch right now. Realistically the talent pool was also amazing in the mid 00's to mid 10s, Crosby, Ovi, Malkin, Datsyuk, Kane, Thornton, Kovalchuk, Hossa, etc were all amazing players on-par, if not better than their current comparables, the goaltending talent was insanely higher though, defensive systems were still applied like it was the DPE, goalie equipment was still massive, there was more physical play and the talent was a lot less diluted.

The problem with adding two franchise, and one franchise holding two starters (B's) is that the number of starter isn't enough and the number of backup isn't enough, creating a very wide gap in skill. The same can also be said about players lower in the depth chat, contenders now have near-AHL players on their 4th line because of the expansion.

All-in-all though, the product is better I'd say. I kinda wish there was more physical play and that they'd bring back rivalries but it's not a perfect world.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
It came out later that Richer had mental health issues. 50 goals then an off year then 50…. Unfortunately 89 was an ‘off year.’

Funny, in 89 I knew Calgary was a powerhouse and Richer wasn’t Richer so I knew it would be a tough slog. I wasn’t that surprised.

I did think we had a real shot in 88 though. Richer was the best player in that Boston series. Best I’ve ever seen him. And then Michael Thelvien slashed him and broke his thumb. That was all she wrote. That series was the first time we’d lost to the Bruins in like 25 years. And then we kept losing… for whatever reason Roy was absolute crap vs Boston.
Oh man I remember that!

Kills me that the mood was starting to come down on the Habs because those were great years, but the generation above ours were only expecting Cups and were very agressive towards what they saw as a defensive system with Burns. Those late night sports radio callers were at the throat of the Richer story, the night owls of Chelios Corson etc.

It was weird because the Habs were a powerhouse but the mood didn’t match. The loss against the Bruins just didn’t fly here, like at all. It was unchartered territories for that golden generation.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
So now the team shouldn't even target prospects to trade for based on their needs? This is non-sense. You know they have to fill out an entire roster, which includes multiple positions, right? Also, Tkachuk definitely was not BPA at the time of the draft, maybe he was for you, but you would have been in the minuscule minority.

Lehko is a dime a dozen player who's in a good place to produce, put him on the Habs for the past few years and he's the exact same player he was, which is a middle 6 forward. To get a freshly drafted first rounder who's on an upward trajectory and a 2nd round pick is very good value for a player like him.

I loved Lehks when he was with us, even during his struggles. I still remember that series where the Rags beat us in round 1 and I think Lehks was a rookie. He was a complete warrior in that round, fighting in corners and battling.

People act like we gave up a superstar but let’s face facts, he was always going to be a middle-6 forward with us based off his usage and deployment. Obviously it looks bad right now, but let’s not pretend he’d be super productive with us.

Of course, I’d love him to be on our team but we should also thank Bergy for extending Armia and basically leaving Hughes in contract cleaning mode. If he extended Lehkonen instead, maybe we would had kept him and dump Army that season.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee and bcv

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
8nvtd4.jpg

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Oh man I remember that!

Kills me that the mood was starting to come down on the Habs because those were great years, but the generation above ours were only expecting Cups and were very agressive towards what they saw as a defensive system with Burns. Those late night sports radio callers were at the throat of the Richer story, the night owls of Chelios Corson etc.

It was weird because the Habs were a powerhouse but the mood didn’t match. The loss against the Bruins just didn’t fly here, like at all. It was unchartered territories for that golden generation.
It’s because we were a trap team. We were used to having 100 point 50 goal scorers and that wasn’t us anymore.

We were the Devils before they were the Devils.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Make Beliefs don’t win game 2 without Marner’s solid play on the PK - his 2-way game is so overloooked
Yeah Marner has always been decent on the PK.
I think it's a perceived lack of willingness to pay a price that has most of that fan base in an uproar.
Marner has always been a very good special team's player he seems to excel in situations where teams are less likely to look for solid body contact.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Make Beliefs don’t win game 2 without Marner’s solid play on the PK - his 2-way game is so overloooked
Indeed.

Though there is a real pattern of his offensive production faltering in the post season.

.9ppg in 50 playoff games
1.11ppg in almost 600 regular season games

He's paid like an superstar, but doesn't seem able to carry over that level of impact to the post season... and certainly does shy away from imposing himself physically.

In a high visibility / high pressure market like Toronto, it's understandable that he's getting crucified.

Laffs management probably shouldve figured this out sooner and traded him already.

Unless he pulls a 180 and helps lead the Laffs to a cup finals, I'll be surprised if he isn't traded this summer. Best for boat sides, especially if he goes somewhere like Utah or another US market

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad