HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2023-2024 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Hyman still had to get to where he is by hard work. Is there a class system in minor hockey? Absolutely. Such is life. Same applies to any sport. Basketball academies, baseball academies...etc. etc.

Hockey is cost prohibitive for many families. But man, have you seen the cost of competitive Dance?

I'm about ready to go broke with one kid in it. Some families have 3+. Insanity!

Yup, I have. My kid was interested in it and/or gymnastics. I put her in gymnastics but it got unaffordable around age 10. Sure Hyman worked hard, but he was also given opportunities that other people simply don't get. But that goes for McDavid and Bedard too. It's not just hockey, but hockey due to its equipment has significantly more financial requirements than say baseball, football or basketball where in a lot of instance equipment is provided.

I believe hockey should go the same route. Kids will still have to buy their own helmet and skates, but all other equipment should be provided. I didn't buy shit to play football. My school gave everything to us. I wore my soccer cleats. I played soccer as a kid too, as a goalie. I bought shoes and shin pads. Gloves were provided. I used my soccer cleats to play baseball too so they were a great investment. I used my dad's old glove until I got my own for birthday or something. Again everything else was provided including uniforms and bats.

In hockey, you need skates, helmets, sticks, shoulder pads, elbow pads, shin guards, knee pads, hockey pants, gloves, athletic supporter and cup, mouthguard, and some kind of facial/neck protector. And, kids grow out of all these things. For goalies, it's even worse.

Hockey has really become an upper class privilege sport.

It doesn't take away Hyman's achievement. I don't think anyone expected him to ever become a 50 goal scorer. It helps to play with McDavid.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Ironically almost most of these elite academies popping up are being started by former Canadian players who came to US for college, AHL/ECHL etc.

But it’s become like that for all kids activities …
this need for parents have to send their kid to “elite” programs has become ridiculous

This make so much sense but it's not about to stop

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Apparently he's aware of it and has been to doctors to figure it out but it's not a stroke. From what he's said, the doctors haven't figured out what it is so he's just gutting it out for the time being.
I wish him well. He is actually an entertaining play by play guy.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I feel bad for Andrew Berkshire, he tried to make a rant video a la Rick Mercer about the nature of privilege and how it's hidden from the public under the shroud of hard work gets you anywhere... and got it completely wrong tonally and in terms of presenting his argument... and now the biggest ghouls and sycophants have brigaded him calling him a terrorist-supporter, bully, bigot, and all sorts of things not worth repeating. He's definitely incapable of handling such heat or navigating through it. Of course the biggest pundits and names in hockey media have piled-on him too instead of giving him the benefit of the doubt or an iota of respect.

I think he's going to have a very tough time this week. Not sure if he'll have any career in hockey punditry going forward without some people coming to his aid and taking some heat off him. What a shame for him and his young family.
Good, he doesn't deserve a career in hockey punditry and never did. He's a no-nothing clown. Nothing I've ever seen or heard from him is the least bit insightful or informative. This message board is more informative and entertaining than he is. And just to prove how tone-deaf he is, instead of taking the L when it blew up in his face, he doubled down on the stupid and posted another video to mansplain himself, complete with crude, hand drawn graphs done in crayon.

For me, the line between a legitimate media member and a wannabe like Berkshire comes down to one thing: access. If someone like Stu Cowan goes to the Bell Centre, he has a press pass that gets him into the building hours before game time. He can have a meal in the media lounge, he's got a spot reserved for him in the press box where he can set up his laptop and file his column, and if he wants to speak to the players or ask MSL a question after the game, his press pass gets him access to the dressing room and the press conference room.

If Berkshire wants to go to the Bell Centre he'd better have bought a ticket otherwise he's SOL. And he doesn't get to go anywhere except where the average fans get to go. So no meals in the lounge and no dressing room or press box access. He's just some guy blogging from his mom's basement. He isn't a journalist of any sort and he isn't any kind of "insider" like Friedman or Dreger. He's a nobody who works (when he works) for a gambling website. For him to try and pass himself off as an actual member of the media is laughable.

Here in Edmonton, local sports talk radio has been having a field day with this. One host, who knows Berkshire peripherally, asked rhetorically why Berkshire hasn't been able to get a steady gig in the media and suggested that his awful takes and his equally awful interpersonal skills might have a lot to do with it.

I don't know why the Gazette insists on having him on the Hockey Inside-Out panel other than the fact that he has his own microphone and is willing to work for next to nothing. But if I were in management at the Gazoo, I'd be wanting to have a conversation with him about his vaguely anti-Semitic takes regarding Hyman.

Reactions: Lshap and waitin425

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I think the overall point of questioning whether his "hard work" should be celebrated is valid though. Berkshires problem is he doesn't really know how to convey these legitimate points without grating on people's nerves. Sometimes, you also wonder if there isn't a hidden agenda or other more personal issues at play in his case.

But, it's still a strange thing. There's a point where it's easier to focus and work hard when you have so many options to fall back on, and when your dad can buy a league for you to play in. They're privileged people. I'm much more impressed by someone like Panarin or Xhekaj. I feel there's more impact if you have a lot more to lose by chasing that dream.
Wouldn't a rich kid have less incentive to work hard, knowing that whatever he did or didn't do wouldn't negatively impact his bottom line?

Hyman has brothers who all played hockey and who all had the same advantages he did. But they aren't playing NHL hockey and they aren't scoring 51 goals this season. So if Berkshire's awful take had merit all the Hyman brothers would be lighting it up in the NHL right now.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Even if money gives you more opportunity and greater access, in a sport like hockey, you still need to put in the work to make it.

I am sure the ratio of wealthy kids not making it is far greater than wealthy kids making the nhl.

It's good to have a conversation about whether a sport is economically accessible (and we 100% should have this discussion), but this is a different discussion from x only made it because of money. You still need to put in the work and time to make it, even if you have access.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Good, he doesn't deserve a career in hockey punditry and never did. He's a no-nothing clown. Nothing I've ever seen or heard from him is the least bit insightful or informative. This message board is more informative and entertaining than he is. And just to prove how tone-deaf he is, instead of taking the L when it blew up in his face, he doubled down on the stupid and posted another video to mansplain himself, complete with crude, hand drawn graphs done in crayon.

For me, the line between a legitimate media member and a wannabe like Berkshire comes down to one thing: access. If someone like Stu Cowan goes to the Bell Centre, he has a press pass that gets him into the building hours before game time. He can have a meal in the media lounge, he's got a spot reserved for him in the press box where he can set up his laptop and file his column, and if he wants to speak to the players or ask MSL a question after the game, his press pass gets him access to the dressing room and the press conference room.

If Berkshire wants to go to the Bell Centre he'd better have bought a ticket otherwise he's SOL. And he doesn't get to go anywhere except where the average fans get to go. So no meals in the lounge and no dressing room or press box access. He's just some guy blogging from his mom's basement. He isn't a journalist of any sort and he isn't any kind of "insider" like Friedman or Dreger. He's a nobody who works (when he works) for a gambling website. For him to try and pass himself off as an actual member of the media is laughable.

Here in Edmonton, local sports talk radio has been having a field day with this. One host, who knows Berkshire peripherally, asked rhetorically why Berkshire hasn't been able to get a steady gig in the media and suggested that his awful takes and his equally awful interpersonal skills might have a lot to do with it.

I don't know why the Gazette insists on having him on the Hockey Inside-Out panel other than the fact that he has his own microphone and is willing to work for next to nothing. But if I were in management at the Gazoo, I'd be wanting to have a conversation with him about his vaguely anti-Semitic takes regarding Hyman.
It amazes me that he thought his rant was a good idea. I expect that the Gazette will send him packing from the hockey inside out podcast. Professional suicide is alive and well. I am all for the freedom of speech but just know....the public has a right to reject your views.

Wouldn't a rich kid have less incentive to work hard, knowing that whatever he did or didn't do wouldn't negatively impact his bottom line?

Hyman has brothers who all played hockey and who all had the same advantages he did. But they aren't playing NHL hockey and they aren't scoring 51 goals this season. So if Berkshire's awful take had merit all the Hyman brothers would be lighting it up in the NHL right now.
Hyman could have rode daddy's coat tails and went to work for his dad but instead he made something of himself.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

I don't want to appear to be defending Berkshire, but I draw the line at giving Stu Cowan any bit of legitimacy. Dude's a hack and has berkshire on his podcast all the time :laugh:

Reactions: ReHabs

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Hyman still had to get to where he is by hard work. Is there a class system in minor hockey? Absolutely. Such is life. Same applies to any sport. Basketball academies, baseball academies...etc. etc.

Hockey is cost prohibitive for many families. But man, have you seen the cost of competitive Dance?

I'm about ready to go broke with one kid in it. Some families have 3+. Insanity!

Yes… I know your pain…

Reactions: waitin425

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

I'm like which young players?

There's only three players in the whole team under the age of 23. Foerster, Cam York and Bobby Brink. Only Foerster is a notable prospect in the lineup. They have 6 players over 30 in the lineup. Outside of 3-4 names it's a bunch of grinders.

F the tank i hope we destroy them 7-1 tonight.

Last edited:

Fatbiggie

Unregistered User
Jul 30, 2005
1711661790441.jpeg

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
He's right. But there's other way to say the truth. No reason to be an *** hole about it. But it's tort i'm sure lot of people will defend that. He could just have said that Poehling has to find a chair / role to play at the NHL level if he wants to hang around and that he believes he has yet to find that chair. Same thing just said in a more positive manner. I predict in 3 to 5 years our team will be much better than them. They go for immediate success like we used to do. We build a team which is the correct thing to do.

Reactions: Gustave

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I'm so pissed Holland didn't do more for the roster. The Oilers are so close to being the cup favorites. Just needed more depth and goaltending. They can still go all the way, but they needed a Julien Brisebois to sell the farm and get all the missing pieces.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Elite programs have been around forever and they used to be called hockey schools.
The only thing that has changed is the cost has become prohibitive.
I posted this once before. A year or so before the the 74 summit series.
One of my older brothers attended Paul Henderson's hockey school in Sundridge Ont.
My dad a RCAF Captain at the time was also paying for 6 kids to play hockey.
The point being this is where the talented kids ended up back then and it was affordable.
What kind of income would a family need to pull this off today? :help:

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Elite programs have been around forever and they used to be called hockey schools.
The only thing that has changed is the cost has become prohibitive.
I posted this once before. A year or so before the the 74 summit series.
One of my older brothers attended Paul Henderson's hockey school in Sundridge Ont.
My dad a RCAF Captain at the time was also paying for 6 kids to play hockey.
The point being this is where the talented kids ended up back then and it was affordable.
What kind of income would a family need to pull this off today? :help:

SSM is 60k to 70k per year.

Crosby, Mackinnon, Toews, Parise, Stafford, Pitlicks all went there.

Crazy stat;

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
It amazes me that he thought his rant was a good idea. I expect that the Gazette will send him packing from the hockey inside out podcast. Professional suicide is alive and well. I am all for the freedom of speech but just know....the public has a right to reject your views.

Hyman could have rode daddy's coat tails and went to work for his dad but instead he made something of himself.

His dad is like league president of OJHL, so by becoming a hockey player he kind of did follow his dad.

• Haha
Reactions: Shred and Rapala

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Not surprised that Berkshire doubled down on his take. He complained about the Weber/Subban trade for years. He’s always lacked professionalism and tact, which never bodes well for a strongly opinionated person like him. He’s never learned to let go and it’s likely why his “job” isn’t really a job and why he doesn’t and will never have press credentials.

Reactions: Laurentide

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Not surprised that Berkshire doubled down on his take. He complained about the Weber/Subban trade for years. He’s always lacked professionalism and tact, which never bodes well for a strongly opinionated person like him. He’s never learned to let go and it’s likely why his “job” isn’t really a job and why he doesn’t and will never have press credentials.
It’s one thing for us to rail against this player or that one. We’re anonymous people on a message board. We can say whatever we wish and it’s of little consequence. Just people spitballing on a message board.

But I agree, if you’re in the public domain with articles being published online with your name in a byline, then you obviously need to be far more tactful.

As I’ve said many times, were I to ever meet Michel Therrien in person I’d be absolutely polite with him. I hated him as a coach and have ranted endlessly about him here but there’s absolutely no reason to take that to the real world and be a jerk about it. Likewise in a published article I’d be far more restrained. My opinion wouldn’t change but I’d bring it across for more diplomatically than I do here.

Berkshire comes across as though he’s posting here on a message board sometimes. Not what you’d expect from an aspiring journalist.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
It’s one thing for us to rail against this player or that one. We’re anonymous people on a message board. We can say whatever we wish and it’s of little consequence. Just people spitballing on a message board.

But I agree, if you’re in the public domain with articles being published online with your name in a byline, then you obviously need to be far more tactful.

As I’ve said many times, were I to ever meet Michel Therrien in person I’d be absolutely polite with him. I hated him as a coach and have ranted endlessly about him here but there’s absolutely no reason to take that to the real world and be a jerk about it. Likewise in a published article I’d be far more restrained. My opinion wouldn’t change but I’d bring it across for more diplomatically than I do here.

Berkshire comes across as though he’s posting here on a message board sometimes. Not what you’d expect from an aspiring journalist.
I bumped into Bergevin at an airport in Europe last autumn and let myself down by being polite with him. Maybe even goofy-nice to him. He was a bit standoffish tbh.

Berkshire is too old to an aspiring anything. He's also not charming or charismatic enough to think his rants are worth a toss. I'm sad for him and the environment where he gets smeared and called a bigot for a routine take but that's the country/situation in which he lives, nothing we can do about it.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I bumped into Bergevin at an airport in Europe last autumn and let myself down by being polite with him. Maybe even goofy-nice to him. He was a bit standoffish tbh.

Berkshire is too old to an aspiring anything. He's also not charming or charismatic enough to think his rants are worth a toss. I'm sad for him and the environment where he gets smeared and called a bigot for a routine take but that's the country/situation in which he lives, nothing we can do about it.
I get your sympathy for a fellow human being. Sincerely. Social media is littered with millions of people whose lives have been pried open and targeted by virtual mobs because they dared post a comment or a pic.

I don't wish Berkshire any personal harm. However, he deserves to be called out for his deliberate choice of targets. He'd have to be a complete idiot to not realize people would connect his SEO-marketed hockey comments with his SEO-marketed political comments. Or he really is a bigot. It's one or the other.

Either way, there's rarely a good outcome when someone uses their public forum to rant about a highly sensitive subject with deep wounds on both sides.

EDIT: I know we're treading close to the line of political talk, so I won't continue here. I have a personal example of someone getting burned for an innocent social media post on this subject. Happy to share via DM.

Reactions: Tyson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad