HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2023-2024 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
it's all relative though ain't it?

McDavid is a generational talent, Leafs have a ton of firepower up front ... and yet they're squandering those windows. that's pretty bad

Not really, it is absolute not relative. They are better. In the same time period, the Habs have squandered those same years even worse than they have.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Theres one thing that struck me when I saw the Berkshire debate on reddit.

One clown argued that it was it was actually more impressive that Hyman ended up working hard since he grew up rich. We read a lot of idiocy on the internet, but that person took the crown this week.

Last edited:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Theres one thing that struck me when I saw the Berkshire debate on reddit.

One clown argues that it was it was actually more impressive that Hyman ended up working hard since he grew up rich. We read a lot of idiocy on the internet, but that person took the crown this week.

I haven't seen the Berkshire thing, and don't plan too, but there absolutely is a relationship between the financial situation of your family and playing hockey at all. It's an expensive sport, like really expensive just to play Midget AAA. It's crazy. It's definitely a Canada situation more so than other countries.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I haven't seen the Berkshire thing, and don't plan too, but there absolutely is a relationship between the financial situation of your family and playing hockey at all. It's an expensive sport, like really expensive just to play Midget AAA. It's crazy. It's definitely a Canada situation more so than other countries.
It’s nuts in the US - there are “elite hockey academies” popping up at every corner …. Pure ca$h grab w non affluent parents taking a 2nd mortgages on their house for this fallacy of their kid playing Division I college or pros.

Talking $15k -$25K per year for these elite academies, and that doesn’t even include nationwide tournament co$t. Elite youth hockey programs run $10K+

My sons team has one kid who’s father flies him in from Texas on his private jet and another from Cali doing the same - they can’t get the amount of elite teams to compete against outside Minny or Northeast

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
It’s nuts in the US - there are “elite hockey academies” popping up at every corner …. Pure ca$h grab w non affluent parents taking a 2nd mortgages on their house for this fallacy of their kid playing Division I college or pros.

Talking $15k -$25K per year for these elite academies, and that doesn’t even include nationwide tournament co$t. Elite youth hockey programs run $10K+

My sons team has one kid who’s father flies him in from Texas on his private jet and another from Cali doing the same - they can’t get the amount of elite teams to compete against outside Minny or Northeast

I was thinking more Europe than U.S. with my comments, but yeah, that's insane. In GTA, playing Midget AAA is easily $10k-$15k per season. There's so many costs associated with it, including registration, ice time costs, hockey equipment, travel expenses, tournament travel expenses, as well as training requirements like gym membership, skating training boards, and other home training devices.

It's become an upper middle class endeavor.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017

What does this even really mean? The Kings are near the end of the Doughty/Kopitar era, two of the most entertaining players ever. They definitely rolled the dice on a fair number of vanilla players over the last few years, but the Kings and the rest of their Californian brethren have already served their time as the most watchable bloc of NHL teams for almost 15 years. Zadorov, meanwhile, is a 6’6” pile of literal void. Antimatter. Skidmark. The Canucks are Hughes, Miller, and Pettersson. *yawn*

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
My unsolicited opinion is that: he has a right to his opinion but there are some things at play here. It's odd his shrill take was about Hyman, and is a little bit repetitive and unhinged. And although true that large number of pro athletes, especially NHL players have benefitted from wealthy parents he singled out Hyman. Could it be coincidence?
Well, a quick view of his social media accounts communicates an absolute disgust for Israeli policy. It doesn't come across as measured, and conveys many of the left's talking points.
Regardless of what point people are at on the political spectrum, I would opine, that his vociferous opinions / posts on the Israeli / Palestinian conflict, the fact that Hyman was very passionate about his support for Israel and anger at his alma-mater receiving bomb threats and anti-semitic bile in Toronto + the kind of stereotypic, jewish tropes Berkshire used in his rant make his video not coincidentally anti-semitic.
there is no such thing as coincidence imo,
only the illusion of coincidence.

the whole thing comes off as irresponsible
Shocked this sort of commentary is allowed to stay up. It’s so easily refuted but also extremely off-topic.

The comments Berkshire made about Hyman were not tropes or smears — Hyman’s dad is outrageously wealthy and owned half of all the teams in the GTHL causing regulators to interfere at some point. Equating mild criticism of the ultra rich with racism is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
What does this even really mean? The Kings are near the end of the Doughty/Kopitar era, two of the most entertaining players ever. They definitely rolled the dice on a fair number of vanilla players over the last few years, but the Kings and the rest of their Californian brethren have already served their time as the most watchable bloc of NHL teams for almost 15 years. Zadorov, meanwhile, is a 6’6” pile of literal void. Antimatter. Skidmark. The Canucks are Hughes, Miller, and Pettersson. *yawn*
The PLD era has begun.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Hyman still had to get to where he is by hard work. Is there a class system in minor hockey? Absolutely. Such is life. Same applies to any sport. Basketball academies, baseball academies...etc. etc.

Hockey is cost prohibitive for many families. But man, have you seen the cost of competitive Dance?

I'm about ready to go broke with one kid in it. Some families have 3+. Insanity!

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I was thinking more Europe than U.S. with my comments, but yeah, that's insane. In GTA, playing Midget AAA is easily $10k-$15k per season. There's so many costs associated with it, including registration, ice time costs, hockey equipment, travel expenses, tournament travel expenses, as well as training requirements like gym membership, skating training boards, and other home training devices.

It's become an upper middle class endeavor.
Ironically almost most of these elite academies popping up are being started by former Canadian players who came to US for college, AHL/ECHL etc.

But it’s become like that for all kids activities …
this need for parents have to send their kid to “elite” programs has become ridiculous

Last edited:
Reactions: Laurentide

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Hyman still had to get to where he is by hard work. Is there a class system in minor hockey? Absolutely. Such is life. Same applies to any sport. Basketball academies, baseball academies...etc. etc.

Hockey is cost prohibitive for many families. But man, have you seen the cost of competitive Dance?

I'm about ready to go broke with one kid in it. Some families have 3+. Insanity!

I think the overall point of questioning whether his "hard work" should be celebrated is valid though. Berkshires problem is he doesn't really know how to convey these legitimate points without grating on people's nerves. Sometimes, you also wonder if there isn't a hidden agenda or other more personal issues at play in his case.

But, it's still a strange thing. There's a point where it's easier to focus and work hard when you have so many options to fall back on, and when your dad can buy a league for you to play in. They're privileged people. I'm much more impressed by someone like Panarin or Xhekaj. I feel there's more impact if you have a lot more to lose by chasing that dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad