News Article: Out Of Nowehere - Larry Brooks Writes His Best Article On Marty (Devils)

NC107*

I think he should have stopped at the end of the Brodeur article.

Why mix the rest of that stuff.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Adj. duplicitous -
marked by deliberate deceptiveness especially by pretending one set of feelings and acting under the influence of another.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
that may be but the implication that the city is superior is there. in reality, its not. no reason to bring up that point otherwise.

Honestly, I take it in a total different context. Since the whole article is about admiring him while he's still here (and giving him the attention he deserves), I think that line is more about the fact that in a different market, we wouldn't lose sight of the caliber of the talent we are watching in the twilight of his career. It doesn't have to be about local attention, but he would surely get more national/global attention in a different market. It doesn't have to be taken as a knock on NJ, but more so that he isn't getting the attention he should be elsewhere.

Zelmo

Jun 18, 2012
Woodstock, GA
The way it was written, you'd have thought he worked for the Devils. ;)

Very very nice article. Just one question, he mentions that Marty's dad won a silver medal - I thought it was bronze.

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
I've heard a lot of comments over the years along the lines of "Brodeur would have a </whatever> in his honor if he played in Manhattan", but I always found that an odd thing to say, considering that New York barely gives a crap about the Rangers.

Maybe it's just because they've mostly been mediocre as a franchise (having Marty since the early 90's would certainly have made them better), but the Rangers are usually a non-story on the NYC sports scene, a throw-in by hockey-ignorant writers who figure they have to throw the sport a bone and only know a couple things about the one team at MSG.

That said, the overall point Brooks is making is true: the NHL should be gearing up for a farewell tour that'd put Mo Rivera's to shame, because this is arguably the greatest goalie of all time preparing to hang up his pads, be it this year or after one more short extension. Instead, the league and much of it's reporting media has spent years pooh-poohing his skills ("he wouldn't be so great if he didn't have T3H TRAP!@$! in front of him!"), minimizing his exposure, even making incredibly stupid new rules in an attempt to limit his all-time great abilities.

You will never, ever see another major pro sports league treat one of it's all time great superstars like that.

And if he had come up playing in Manhattan, Montreal, Toronto, Chicago, etc., you can bet they never would've treated Marty that way.

Jossipov

Patty's Better
Oct 7, 2010
Bronx, NY
If there is one take away from this article, it is that we need to create a Brodeur candy bar.
Need to get one that.

In the mean time, I do brew beer as a hobby. Got me thinking, I want to start a new batch next week. What would be a good Brodeur beer?

Guttersnipe

LappinMakesItHappen
Jan 31, 2003
Brooklyn
Visit site
"This is a time of sadness for Brodeur, his family and friends as they mourn the passing of his father, Denis Brodeur. It was always a pleasure to interact with the elder Brodeur, the great sports photographer and goaltender on Canada’s 1952 Silver Medal winning Olympic Team, and it always was impossible to tell who was more proud of the other, the father or the son."

Brooks undercuts the touching sentimentality of this sentence by saying Denis' Canadian squad won a Silver Medal in 1952 when they actually won a Bronze Medal in 1956.
It's a well-known fact mentioned in the hundreds of articles about Denis's passing. It's like Brooks' main calling in life is finding new, creative ways of mangling the truth. Oh, Larry!

Guttersnipe

LappinMakesItHappen
Jan 31, 2003
Brooklyn
Visit site
The way it was written, you'd have thought he worked for the Devils. ;)

Very very nice article. Just one question, he mentions that Marty's dad won a silver medal - I thought it was bronze.

You thought rightly.

FYI, Canada won a Gold Medal in 1952, so Brooks is extra completely wrong.

Last edited:

Mory Schneideur*

I've heard a lot of comments over the years along the lines of "Brodeur would have a </whatever> in his honor if he played in Manhattan", but I always found that an odd thing to say, considering that New York barely gives a crap about the Rangers.

Maybe it's just because they've mostly been mediocre as a franchise (having Marty since the early 90's would certainly have made them better), but the Rangers are usually a non-story on the NYC sports scene, a throw-in by hockey-ignorant writers who figure they have to throw the sport a bone and only know a couple things about the one team at MSG.

That said, the overall point Brooks is making is true: the NHL should be gearing up for a farewell tour that'd put Mo Rivera's to shame, because this is arguably the greatest goalie of all time preparing to hang up his pads, be it this year or after one more short extension. Instead, the league and much of it's reporting media has spent years pooh-poohing his skills ("he wouldn't be so great if he didn't have T3H TRAP!@$! in front of him!"), minimizing his exposure, even making incredibly stupid new rules in an attempt to limit his all-time great abilities.

You will never, ever see another major pro sports league treat one of it's all time great superstars like that.

And if he had come up playing in Manhattan, Montreal, Toronto, Chicago, etc., you can bet they never would've treated Marty that way.

Just look at the way they treat Lundqvist... "The king". If Brodeur was a Ranger or a Bruin or a Maple Leaf, he would be considered the Gretzky of current times. It's not to disrepect NJ, but those are legendary teams with tons of history, had Marty worn one of those sweaters he would have been immortalized long ago. I think he still will be eventfully, it's just one of those "we will appreciate him once he's gone" situations.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
How about take it as a good article instead of spinning it to be a knock on Marty and NJ.

Nah we are NJ everybody hates us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad