Our PK

Arcticcat

Jan 10, 2013
What team takes no penalties?

The most successful teams have good penalty kills. The answer "don't take penalties" is ridiculous.

Did you watch tonights game? Did you watch yesterdays game? Did you hear Noels comments?

Me knows they take to many penalty's!:shakehead

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Did you watch tonights game? Did you watch yesterdays game? Did you hear Noels comments?

Taking less penalties and being more disciplined helps... but in the end you will still get penalties just due to the nature of the game... and referees (see Thorburn's 5 min major today)... and those few PK's will still kill you if your goalie is letting in 3 goals for every ten shots.

In the end the PK% HAS to improve.

Arcticcat

Jan 10, 2013
Agreed,if they are good on the pk, then have as many penalty as you like, lol, Just se thorbrrns hit. It didn`t look intentional to me, he was pronb tying to avoid hitting his own player if anything!!!:cry:

Last edited:

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

Look at the most successful teams stats. Do they take less penalties or do they have a good PK?

I'll save you the time, they have the best PK's. Amount of penalties rarely affects the team.

I agree with the fact we've taken too many recently, but even if we take 2-3 penalties a game we'll get burned on a PK that's running at 59.3 %. That alone will lose us games, you can't expect us to take 0 penalties in a game.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
Starts with the goal-tender out, when your goal-tender consistently gets beat glove high or goes down to early and everything flies over his shoulders you have problems.

They also exert no pressure whatsoever. They look like they just stand there watching the other team pass it around waiting for the shot.

Which usually hits some part of Hainsey and goes in.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
You have to be able to kill penalties in this league. Every team will have games that hinge on what their PK does. Pavs has been brutal, but our defenseman seem to play a PK that involves whispering sweet-nothings into the ear of a player standing in Pavs face and forwards who pressure the puck like their feet are stuck in cement.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
When we played the Isles their PK was great, they pressure you all the time and keep you on the wall with your back turned to the play. We let teams gain the zone with ease and don't pressure when there is a loose puck, we are far too stagnant. It's looked quite poor but having said that you also need your tendy to be your best penalty killer.

PerryPooley

Dec 28, 2011
I totally agree. Our PK needs to take a more aggressive approach and pressure more. In short, playing with more confidence would make a huge difference. Of course, personel also helps. I assume we'll be better when Bogo comes back. Hope it's not too late. But regardless it's time to approach the PK with a different attitude.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
To me the old style of PK box is dead. The best PK teams are pressuring the other team constantly. Get in their faces and force them to make mistakes. Don't let them set up.

If you setup in the box and sit back all you are doing is letting the other team shoot at will and hoping your goaltender stops everything.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
To me a PK has three or four parts to it. First is the forecheck, which we seem atrocious except for Burmistrov. The purpose of the forecheck is to:

- Gain the puck from the carrier. Very hard to do when they outnumber us.
- Slow down the power play team through the neutral zone
- Force them to dump the puck early, either creating an icing or giving our defenders extra time to retreive the puck.

The only forechecker that does all three regularly is Bumistrov. Antropov has the IQ to be the forechecker but not the speed. They both use angles and patience with the puck carrier. Glass and Ladd don't do this. They always "swing" early when the puck carrier is waiting behind their net. This triggers the breakout, you want to delay the breakout not trigger it. Make small circles in front of the net, and try to force the carrier to come out on his back hand. We have also gone from a 1+3 forecheck to a 1+1+2 forecheck with mixed results.

The second phase is after the puck has crossed the blue line but the opposing team hasn't established coverage. We seem half decent at this, probably our strongest point. Some of our units seem to be too defensive at this point. With the puck carrier against a wall, we need to send two guys against the wall at the same time. Sometimes we only have one or just collapse back and let them gain the zone clean.

The third phase is the opposing team has gained the zone with control. We have actually made improvements on this. We're moving our sticks more. But coverage needs to improve. We also need to be more aggressive when the puck is against the boards like above. Send two guys, but make sure the weak side winger is in the correct position. Often he moves too far over leaving the weak side wide open.

Another area that needs to improve is tip-ins. I think Tampa Bay had three last game. Whenever a player moves across the net he needs to be tracked by the defender. There's no point in having the defender just stand there when he's not fighting off a player. He needs to tie up the stick, wether it's on the ground or in the air. This automatically reduces tip-ins.

Although the stats say otherwise, they have made fundamental improvements to the PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad