Our PK

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Just an observation, and maybe I'm wrong, but....

Why is it that when we are on the PP the teams killing the penalty chase us all over the ice, resulting in our PP not being able to set anything up,

Yet when we are killing penalties, we set up in this little box in front of the net and let the other teams set up and move the puck at will?

There is a reason we are the worst PK in the league, just trying to speculate why.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Why is it that when we are on the PP the teams killing the penalty chase us all over the ice, resulting in our PP not being able to set anything up,

Yet when we are killing penalties, we set up in this little box in front of the net and let the other teams set up and move the puck at will?

There is a reason we are the worst PK in the league, just trying to speculate why.

Tonight, the PK guys are getting tired.

Other nights, no clue. Systemic.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
I noticed this as well we have little to no pressure at all on our PK. It seems to me like most of the teams put a lot of pressure on our PP. That may be a specific thing teams do to us because our PP is pretty predictable and we don't have the passing skill some other teams have to exploit the pressure. I certainly do find it to be a weird and noticeable thing though.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I noticed this as well we have little to no pressure at all on our PK. It seems to me like most of the teams put a lot of pressure on our PP. That may be a specific thing teams do to us because are PP is pretty predictable and we don't have the passing skill some other teams have to exploit the pressure. I certainly do find it to be a weird and noticeable thing though.

Our PP system isn't great either, it's all going through Byfuglien. Easy enough to figure out, he's just good at getting into open space and slamming that shot.

allin4466

Apr 8, 2005
I think Perry Pearn was brought in to run most of that. Him and Pascal Vincent, for sure, between the 2 of them.

For some reason I thought Huddy ran the PK and Vincent the PP maybe?

Either way, our special teams have been dismal for both seasons now.

Pitchforks might be out soon.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice

Other teams are better.

OmarComin

Jan 8, 2012

Couldn't have said it better myself... I thought Pearn was supposed to help us in this area

blainus

Feb 1, 2013
doesn't help when your most important penalty killer isn't getting the job done...that being pavelec...

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
For some reason I thought Huddy ran the PK and Vincent the PP maybe?

Either way, our special teams have been dismal for both seasons now.

Pitchforks might be out soon.

PP has actually been above average for quite some time. 12th in the league in 2010-11 and 2011-12. Even for all the ugly moments this season, we're firing at a 23.5% clip (once again, good for 12th in the league). As long as they've got guys like Buff and Enstrom, the Jets PP will always be above average.

PK, that's a different story.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Check out our PK sv%...

Name | TOI/60 | SA/60 | OnIceSv% | GA
Slater | 1.76 | 34.1 | 0.700 | 14.61
Antropov | 1.69 | 55.7 | 0.733 | 20.25
Thorburn | 1.42 | 30.1 | 0.714 | 12.04
Burmistrov | 1.25 | 61.8 | 0.750 | 20.61
Ponikarovsky | 0.75 | 34.1 | 0.750 | 11.36
Little | 0.73 | 11.8 | 0.500 | 11.76

When your goalie is saving 3/4 shots AT BEST... you have some PK problems...
Don't know why Burmi and Antro's SA got so bad... they normally are really good...

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I can't recall when I've seen a PK that was so bad the other team was virtually guaranteed to score on every other power play.

Or in some cases, every power play.

Starts with the goal-tender out, when your goal-tender consistently gets beat glove high or goes down to early and everything flies over his shoulders you have problems.

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Check out our PK sv%...

Name | TOI/60 | SA/60 | OnIceSv% | GA
Slater | 1.76 | 34.1 | 0.700 | 14.61
Antropov | 1.69 | 55.7 | 0.733 | 20.25
Thorburn | 1.42 | 30.1 | 0.714 | 12.04
Burmistrov | 1.25 | 61.8 | 0.750 | 20.61
Ponikarovsky | 0.75 | 34.1 | 0.750 | 11.36
Little | 0.73 | 11.8 | 0.500 | 11.76

When your goalie is saving 3/4 shots AT BEST... you have some PK problems...
Don't know why Burmi and Antro's SA got so bad... they normally are really good...
Dont forget about those deflections. As a goalie, it is really difficult to make a save on a deflected point shot, no matter how hard the shot is. (You being a goalie yourself you should know that) ;)

Arcticcat

Jan 10, 2013
Here's a solution. STAY OUT OF THE BOX!. No disipline. These heros win a few games against some good teams, then think they can walk all over every team with undisiplined play. Wright last night. Who the hell is that hero to be scrapping over a hit that wasn't all that bad!!! He is not the team enforcer..... Hes lucky to be on the team. Bringing in the no names and that what we will have. Guys trying to prove themselves. I'll bet Jason Jaffery will be in the lineup for next game. Wellwood is a waste, Schef is a waste, who ya gonna bring up? Sorry for being a downer, but Im just pointing out what I see, and it dosn't look good.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Dont forget about those deflections. As a goalie, it is really difficult to make a save on a deflected point shot, no matter how hard the shot is. (You being a goalie yourself you should know that) ;)

Well as a goalie I know strong position improves your odds on those deflections...
and common... you cannot say ALL of those are incompetent players...

It's not like Pavelec is the only goalie facing tips from that distance...
As the Jets' announcer said "Pavelec needs to stop those ones. It's not easy but it's still something he has to do."

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I can't recall when I've seen a PK that was so bad the other team was virtually guaranteed to score on every other power play.

Or in some cases, every power play.

I did. Parts of the Leafs PK last season. I remember the NYE game, whenever they took a penalty in the 2nd, I called every goal on the PP. Every time a Leafs player was in the box, the puck went in, it seemed. Of course, after that game they went on a run where they didn't give up a PP goal for the whole month of January.

Watching the Hawks-Canucks game, the Hawks PK is miles ahead of where the Jets' is. Aggressive on the puck carrier, but not so much to give up their shape, and defencemen who clear the front of the net.

Pavelec gets criticized for the goals he gives up, but on the PK, a lot of the goals are deflections, which the goalie traditionally has trouble with.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Here's a solution. STAY OUT OF THE BOX!. No disipline. These heros win a few games against some good teams, then think they can walk all over every team with undisiplined play. Wright last night. Who the hell is that hero to be scrapping over a hit that wasn't all that bad!!! He is not the team enforcer..... Hes lucky to be on the team. Bringing in the no names and that what we will have. Guys trying to prove themselves. I'll bet Jason Jaffery will be in the lineup for next game. Wellwood is a waste, Schef is a waste, who ya gonna bring up? Sorry for being a downer, but Im just pointing out what I see, and it dosn't look good.

What team takes no penalties?

The most successful teams have good penalty kills. The answer "don't take penalties" is ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad