Speculation: Our Next Head Coach II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
If that's the case just wait until the 3rd year. By then all the talent for a rebuild should already be drafted, and our picks will (hopefully) be in the bottom half of the draft.

nah, I'd rather do it next year. make the condition Pittsburgh gets the lowest of our 3rds and be done with it.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
What do people want? We have penguins fans in here singing the guys praises. Can win with little talent and great with youth

What else could we want out of a coach at this point? Not like they are coming in hoping to steal our "precious 3rd in 2016".

Picks for coaches is how it works now. And we have three of them next year. We can afford to lose one for the right guy.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I personally want a coached announced and ready for the combine also, which i believe is later this week isnt it?

While he might not have a lot of say i believe he should be sitting in on interviews and what not.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
nah, I'd rather do it next year. make the condition Pittsburgh gets the lowest of our 3rds and be done with it.

Next year's picks could be ready before our rebuild is finished, and with three we're likely to hit on one. By 2018 this should be a playoff team full of young players - a 3rd rounder at that point is no big deal.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Next year's picks could be ready before our rebuild is finished, and with three we're likely to hit on one. By 2018 this should be a playoff team full of young players - a 3rd rounder at that point is no big deal.

dude its a 3rd rounder

the chance that that player ever becomes even an average NHLer are slim to none.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
We still need a coach to oversee this at ice level.

I'm all for hiring Hynes, he sounds like a great choice.

dude its a 3rd rounder

the chance that that player ever becomes even an average NHLer are slim to none.

3rd rounders still hit from time to time. I just feel like why give up the pick now if you don't have to. Just because it's a 3rd doesn't mean you shouldn't maximize assets if possible.

IcedMaidenDeth

Feb 7, 2010
New Jersey
Coaches are an asset too and if we think he could be our coach when we're done with a rebuild (and not just a placeholder, to be replaced when we're ready) then he is worth a 3rd.

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
Can't recall where I saw it but some San Jose reporter was saying that the Devils had not officially declined compensation for PDB and details were still being worked out. My best guess, and it's only that, is that we won't want compensation unless Pitt wants compensation. If that's the case, the pick is a wash so no need to worry. Either way, the rule is dumb but that's the business side of things these days.

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
Saw this on Twitter just now. If it's true I would not be surprised.

Highland Park Hockey ‏@H_P_Hockey 5m5 minutes ago
Local news station in Wilkes-Barre (WNEP) is reporting that John Hynes will be named #NJDevils head coach tomorrow. So there's that.

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
I really like what I'm hearing about Hynes especially from Pens fans chiming in. I hope that tweet is true.

Ditto and from all the chatter from legit sources, I tend to believe this more than I normally would. He seems like the kind of guy we need for the team we are going to have/be building towards. It's still weird hearing news before it breaks though. Lou was the master of secrecy until his last minute as GM and that is something we won't see again.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
If Hynes can help bring the kids along and get this team on the right track, that's far more valuable than a roll of the dice third round pick.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
We can always just pretend Kalinin was our third round pick...

Also, isn't there a chance that they don't ask for compensation?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Have fun with Hynes, he's an awesome AHL coach. Murray had such an awesome goaltending year and benefited because of Hynes. Hope he works out for you guys, guy deserves his shot.

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
Jonathan Bombulie
‏@BombulieTrib
I think Alain Nasreddine is more likely to go with Hynes than be the next WBS head coach

brodeur14301991

Jul 4, 2013
FWIW this guy had it first

Brad Feldman ‏@BradGFeldman 7h7 hours ago
Source: The New Jersey Devils will announce that John Hynes will be the next head coach

Brad Feldman ‏@BradGFeldman 4h4 hours ago
Devils are to formally announce John Hynes as head coach tomorrow. Looking like announcement should come down by late morning.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
No. You know who had it first? My buddy at Enterprise Rent-a-Car who saw that the Devils rented a car for him last week haha. Enterprise breaks the signing!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Who needs a stupid 3rd round pick :dunno: Only 2 of our all-time single season goal scoring leaders come from the 3rd round...doesn't seem all that important I suppose?

Adam Henrique
Mark Fraser
Mike Rupp
Brian Gionta
Scott Parker
Sheldon Souray
Krzysztof Oliwa
Cale Hulse
Mike Dunham
Brad Bombardir
Scott Pellerin
Zdeno Cigar