Player Discussion Our goaltending tandem

simeon van loon

Aug 14, 2019
As we all know the flames signed cam talbot as a free agent and BSD, anyway what if David rittich doesn't live up to where this team believes that he is our #1 guy in the near future, and if he isn't, what if cam talbot proved himself worthy of being the "GUY"

Thoughts?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think we will see Rittich have some struggles this year and no one should be surprised about that. Even the best goaltenders in the world have periods of play when they struggle. Talbot is no different, I’m actually extremely happy we signed him and think he could very well take over as our #1. I have this feeling Treliving really likes Rittich a lot, but also he doesn’t fully trust him to be an elite goalie.

This is why you need to have 2 x 1B’s today. When one struggles, the other will play and both guys will push each other. If Rittich slumps, he knows Talbot is going to play and vice versa. I really like our duo this season and think we will see positive results.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
At best both guys prove they have starter potential. At worst we're looking at another iteration of Hiller/Ramo in the 2nd year of Hiller's deal.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think a healthy Rittich is a true #1 in this league. And if Talbot returns to form, we'll have a top 5-7 tandem in the league.

But we're the Flames so our goaltending will find a way to disappoint which is precisely why Zagidulin (sp?) was brought in as a contingency plan

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
As we all know the flames signed cam talbot as a free agent and BSD, anyway what if David rittich doesn't live up to where this team believes that he is our #1 guy in the near future, and if he isn't, what if cam talbot proved himself worthy of being the "GUY"

Thoughts?
Then we thank Tre for giving Rittich such a modest contract. Not a real problem if that happens

Reactions: Janks

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Talbot will either pan out extremely well or burn in flames. I can’t see a lot of middle ground for him; he will either be insanely good this season, or he will be utter trash. Really hope it is the former, because I don’t think our scoring will be where it was last season.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think a healthy Rittich is a true #1 in this league. And if Talbot returns to form, we'll have a top 5-7 tandem in the league.

But we're the Flames so our goaltending will find a way to disappoint which is precisely why Zagidulin (sp?) was brought in as a contingency plan
He's a contingency plan for the future, not now.

Reactions: simeon van loon

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Clear path to take the #1 job for whoever can do it.

No excuses. The cycle continues if neither one can step up.

I am hopeful but not too optimistic.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Both tenders have something to prove to themselves first and foremost. And that is they can play at a high level in this league. Both have shown it in the past. The younger (26) of the two wants to show he can do it for 50+ games and be a true #1, the elder (32) has played over 50 games three times in his six year career (including one lights out year with Edmonton) and wants to regain his form. Both are tall, BSD (6'3") and Talbot (6'4") so they can cover a lot of net. Both will have one of the leagues top D corps in front of them (injuries not withstanding) and a forward group that played a pretty strong possession game last year. Both should expect to see pretty strong run (goal) support as well.

So what's not to like about this tandem? Don't fall into any bad habits and play with a Sv% of .905 or better and it will be a good year. Fall under .900 like Smith did last season and you won't be able to split the work load the way you want to.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
It depends on how thick Rittichs' stick is. If it's super thick then he'll do well. If said stick is thin he will not do well. It's really down to this extremely complex science. Now let us pray to our deity. Amen. Oh look it's a sandwich!
mzq37sdpd7hw30pk1pkl.jpg

nom nom nom

Reactions: Schred

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It depends on how thick Rittichs' stick is. If it's super thick then he'll do well. If said stick is thin he will not do well. It's really down to this extremely complex science. Now let us pray to our deity. Amen. Oh look it's a sandwich!
mzq37sdpd7hw30pk1pkl.jpg

nom nom nom

You remind me of a young Autolycush.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
You remind me of a young Autolycush.
I don't know what that means... But if it means roguish charm and stunning looks then yes... Yes I am. If it means slow witted buffoon with a face for radio then... You cut me deep, sir. Like, to the bone. Oh, look, soup!

recipelab-chick-noodle-still-mediumThreeByTwo440.jpg

slurp slurp slurp

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't know what that means... But if it means roguish charm and stunning looks then yes... Yes I am. If it means slow witted buffoon with a face for radio then... You cut me deep, sir. Like, to the bone. Oh, look, soup!

recipelab-chick-noodle-still-mediumThreeByTwo440.jpg

slurp slurp slurp

In Greek mythology, Autolycus (/ɔːˈtɒlɪkəs/; Ancient Greek: Αὐτόλυκος Autolykos, "the wolf itself") was a successful robber who had even the power of metamorphosing both the stolen goods and himself. He had his residence on Mount Parnassus and was renowned among men for his cunning and oaths.

Autolycus, whose name means “lone wolf,” is a con artist who roams around the Bohemian countryside taking advantage of any poor sap he happens to come across. This guy will do anything to make a buck and he’s really good at his job. Autolycus also happens to be a pretty likeable character, partly because he’s so good at his job and partly because he’s so straight forward and, well, honest (with the audience anyway) about his scheming ways. He’s also pretty entertaining – his lying and cheating is interspersed with singing and dancing that helps inject Act 4 with a festive spirit befitting a Shakespearean “comedy”.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
In Greek mythology, Autolycus (/ɔːˈtɒlɪkəs/; Ancient Greek: Αὐτόλυκος Autolykos, "the wolf itself") was a successful robber who had even the power of metamorphosing both the stolen goods and himself. He had his residence on Mount Parnassus and was renowned among men for his cunning and oaths.

Autolycus, whose name means “lone wolf,” is a con artist who roams around the Bohemian countryside taking advantage of any poor sap he happens to come across. This guy will do anything to make a buck and he’s really good at his job. Autolycus also happens to be a pretty likeable character, partly because he’s so good at his job and partly because he’s so straight forward and, well, honest (with the audience anyway) about his scheming ways. He’s also pretty entertaining – his lying and cheating is interspersed with singing and dancing that helps inject Act 4 with a festive spirit befitting a Shakespearean “comedy”.

But you said "Autolycush"... I thought it was a special strain of "grass". Thanks Johnny Hoxville, I do enjoy entertaining the plebs.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
At best both guys prove they have starter potential. At worst we're looking at another iteration of Hiller/Ramo in the 2nd year of Hiller's deal.

You mean Rittich (Ramo) steals the show until his own d-man takes him out the rest of the season and a rapidly declining Talbot (Hiller) basically ensures we don't get a playoff spot?

I think Rittich avoids the injury AND Talbot at least establishes himself as a viable option. We make the playoffs. Win the cup. Rittich playoff MVP.

Reactions: Corpus X

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad