Proposal: Ottawa - Vegas

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Which is why I really don't get the Matt Murray trade unless Dorion expects to start making playoff runs immediately.

If Ottawa was rebuilding and not intending to be competitive in the short term, why trade for Murray? It would have made far more sense for Ottawa to trade with Las Vegas to take on Fleury short-term in exchange for draft picks. Assuming you agreed to trade Fleury to a contender at the 2021/2022 deadline he might have waived and it would have given you the opportunity to get a solid draft pick from Vegas.

The only way the Matt Murray trade makes sense is if Dorion intends for Ottawa to be competitive over the next "4-5 years" while they have cheap contracts. If that is true, then the Murray trade makes sense. Fairly cost controlled high-risk/high-reward starter. He's not really a "flippable" asset.

Maybe we should be listening to Dorion and Melnyk more, because they clearly intend to be competitive pretty soon based on some of the moves they've made.

Trust me I'm a little confused too. I'm just happy we have been acting as a regular nhl team lately. It still concerns me that we look at our defense in our current state and are like this is fine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad