Confirmed with Link: Ottawa signs Fredrik Claesson to a 1 year extension/$650,000

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Could he (not will he) be taken in the expansion draft?

They could but they only get to choose one of our players and Claesson will likely not be the best player available to choose from.

As much as he has looked good, if he were the player lost to expansion then we're making out like bandits.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
650k for a guy who has a chance to be one of our regular six dmen next year ain't bad at all.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Still can't believe that boro got a 3 year 1-way contract for 800k off 25 nhl games.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I can smell a trade deadline move coming and main piece being Ceci.
I do too. I guess they could move Pha9 to his comfy side, and we could end up with:

Methot - Karlsson
Claesson - Pha9
Boro - Wideman
Englund

If the return for Ceci is decent, I'd do it.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I do too. I guess they could move Pha9 to his comfy side, and we could end up with:

Methot - Karlsson
Claesson - Pha9
Boro - Wideman
Englund

IMO they trade Methot before they trade Ceci.
I mean if they didn't accept the trade for Drouin, it should tell you of their assessment of Ceci. Not to mention, Ceci is much younger and cheaper.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016

Methot - Karlsson
Claesson - Pha9
Boro - Wideman
Englund

I will only be happy if the return is Landeskog. Duchene is overrated. Dorion will somehow work some magic and save Chabot and white.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Methot - Karlsson
Claesson - Pha9
Boro - Wideman
Englund

Not a very strong left side. Too early to assume Claesson can handle top 4 minutes every night.

NickLidstrom

Ottawa & Detroit fan
Dec 1, 2013
Umeå
I really don't get the Ceci hate. Literally less then a year ago half of our posters on here were convinced he was already a #2 and now we want Vegas to take him. We NEED to keep Ceci. Young defenseman take time.

Last edited:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I mean if they didn't accept the trade for Drouin, it should tell you of their assessment of Ceci. Not to mention, Ceci is much younger and cheaper.

Well, the situation is a bit different now, our blueline was empty at that point, now we§ve filled it in a bit, but I also agree with the above poster that I can't wrap my head around everyone turning on Ceci all of a sudden

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Please take Ceci, Vegas. Leave Wideman alone.

:facepalm: Yeah please Vegas take the asset that is worth a lot more. :shakehead

Why are people basing their opinion on rumours? Sounds like a recipe for failure.

Still can't believe that boro got a 3 year 1-way contract for 800k off 25 nhl games.

It's 1.1 per year but it's still nothing in the NHL and Boro is a decent 6th/7th, because he is very physical and intimidates the opposition. If you talk to NHL players or ex NHL-players, they will tell you that physical play has an impact.

I really don't get the Ceci hate. Literally less then a year ago half of our posters on here was convinced he was already a #2 and now we want Vegas to take him. We NEED to keep Ceci. Young defenseman take time.

It's irrational as usual. Just don't take these posters seriously. I know I don't

Some seems to hate him because of underlying numbers (in that case, is Karlsson average? Or is Dion Phaneuf worse?), some might hate him because he's from Ottawa and many posters always had a bias against local players. Some might not like his face, I dunno.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There's a huge gulf between bottom pair and shutdown pair in the top 4.

I don't really have confidence in Claesson or Wideman in there.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
There's a huge gulf between bottom pair and shutdown pair in the top 4.

I don't really have confidence in Claesson or Wideman in there.

This is true. Claesson has shown a great ability to get pucks through and a good offensive breakout pass. I think with more minutes he will get more consistent on the defensive side of the puck where he has lacked some consistency.

I do think though if the right trade came along for Ceci for a true impact forward that its something the sens should absolutely consider. It mitigates the team losing a true impact defenseman in the expansion draft. I do think if they reshuffel the D core they can distribute Ceci's minutes between all 6 defenseman.

Phaneuf can switch to the right side of the ice and play with Methot in the shut down role and he eats some of Ceci's PK minutes. Then to lower his load Wideman and Claesson pick up the pp time. Depending on the team Wideman and Boro can take shifts in the top 4 if Claesson struggles.

Claesson Karlsson
Methot Phaneuf
Borowiecki Wideman

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
:facepalm: Yeah please Vegas take the asset that is worth a lot more. :shakehead

Why are people basing their opinion on rumours? Sounds like a recipe for failure.

It's 1.1 per year but it's still nothing in the NHL and Boro is a decent 6th/7th, because he is very physical and intimidates the opposition. If you talk to NHL players or ex NHL-players, they will tell you that physical play has an impact.

It's irrational as usual. Just don't take these posters seriously. I know I don't

Some seems to hate him because of underlying numbers (in that case, is Karlsson average? Or is Dion Phaneuf worse?), some might hate him because he's from Ottawa and many posters always had a bias against local players. Some might not like his face, I dunno.

That was only part of what I used for that rationale. Ceci, as an asset, is cheaper and younger than Methot, making him significantly more valuable.

Whippet

Feb 6, 2013
He has the potential to be our next Methot. Hopefully Marc is around for a few more years so Cleasson can learn from him. If Chabot and Englund step up and prove to be top 4 quality it wouldn't be too shabby to have a Methot type of player in our bottom pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad