Ottawa Senators prospects list flush with surprising additions and improvement

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
thomas_chabot_saint_john_013115.jpg
Photo: The latest speedster defenceman in Ottawa’s system, Thomas Chabot scored 41 points in 66 games with the Saint John Sea Dogs in 2014-15. (Courtesy of Minas Panagiotakis/Getty Images)

</p>Thanks to multiple graduations, rich development and a bountiful turn at the draft table, the Ottawa Senators top 20 list features a number of fresh faces. And the organization’s future*is suddenly ripe with potential, despite being hopeless and bleak just six months ago, .

When Ottawa’s previous top 20 list was published in February, the farm system was depleted due to many recent graduations to the big club. The team’s lack of depth could also be attributed to the Bobby Ryan trade; two of the system’s best prospects (Stefan Noesen and Jakob Silfverberg) and a 2014 first round pick (Nick Ritchie) were sent to Anaheim in return for the former 30-goal scorer.… read more

The post Ottawa Senators prospects list flush with surprising additions and improvement appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
valuing '15 draft high, but i guess it makes sense since it's supposed to be loaded

If Erik Karlsson signs elsewhere when his contract expires in 2019, the Senators now have a backup plan.
here's a backup plan for ya ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

More likely though, Karlsson and Chabot will together give the team one of the most dangerous bluelines in the NHL.
better

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I like the list even though I find Gagné is a little too low, I can agree with the rest.

Edit: Wikstrand also too low.

The ranking is just based on the HF system which is quite unreliable though.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Claesson, and particularly Harpur and Jaros ahead of Wikstrand is just confusing...

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Claesson, and particularly Harpur and Jaros ahead of Wikstrand is just confusing...

Agree (also agree with those saying Prince and Gagné are too low) Englund is too high as well IMO.

This article is like Patrick Lalime. Pretty good most of the way through but then incredibly deflating soft goal at the end making people's overall memory of his tenure very negative.

This is like a Nieuwendyk goal:

If Erik Karlsson signs elsewhere when his contract expires in 2019

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It wouldn't be an article about the Ottawa Senators if it didn't bring up the franchises consitent issues with retaining star talent: Hossa, Havlat, Chara hell even Alfredsson bailed on the team (for various reasons, some better than others).

Let's be honest, Karlsson bailing is certainly not something we should consider unimaginable. It is very unlikely considering the teams seems to be the upswing and Karlsson looks like the kind of guy who takes a lot of pride about being the leader and he gets to be that here but you never know...

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
How many teams actually keep their stars for every single game of their career? It's pretty rare, and hardly "bailing"...

And intentionally trading players away doesn't really say much about our ability to retain them.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
How many teams actually keep their stars for every single game of their career? It's pretty rare, and hardly "bailing"...

And intentionally trading players away doesn't really say much about our ability to retain them.

Yeah, not sure how trading Hossa mins after he signed with us can be considered him bailing on us. Havlat is a pretty big stretch too.

At least with Spezza, there were/are rumours of him requesting a trade. That would have made more sense to include as a player that bailed on us, but even then...

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Yeah, not sure how trading Hossa mins after he signed with us can be considered him bailing on us. Havlat is a pretty big stretch too.

At least with Spezza, there were/are rumours of him requesting a trade. That would have made more sense to include as a player that bailed on us, but even then...

It was confirmed by Murray.

Heatley also requested a trade.

Hossa was a money problem so it does indirectly have something to do with the ability of retaining him.

Havlat was also a money problem which affected us of retaining him. (He was UFA got from 2,6M to 6M)

Chara/Redden and Alfie are just obvious.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Actually, I'd say it's quite the opposite. Sens are pretty good at retaining talent, but they can't really attract it from elsewhere though, unless on the downside of their career (Kovalev, Gonchar...) or a bit of a reclamation project (MacArthur, Latendresse...)

Hossa and Havlat were traded
Alfredsson : special case
Chara was let go because the organization chose Redden over him (bad decision but still had to make one because of the salary cap. It was not because he "bailed" on the Sens)
Heatley and Spezza traded, although they requested trades.

Who else? Volchenkov? Hemsky? It's clear that those guys were let go because they judge them too expensive...
Who did we really ever lost to UFA? Condra? :laugh:

I don't have time to make a list, but if you think Sens have problems retaining their own talent, just make a list of players that got re-signed over the years, and many times.

Last edited:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Actually, I'd say it's quite the opposite. Sens are pretty good at retaining talent, but they can't really attract it from elsewhere though, unless on the downside of their career (Kovalev, Gonchar...)

Hossa and Havlat were traded
Alfredsson : special case
Chara was let go because the organization chose Redden over him (bad decision but still had to make one because of the salary cap. It was not because he "bailed" on the Sens)
Heatley and Spezza traded, although they requested trades.

Who else? Volchenkov? lol
Who did we ever lost to UFA? Condra? :laugh:

How many elite players did Ottawa have in the last 10 years? Chara, Redden, Hossa, Havlat, Karlsson, Ryan, Heatley, Spezza, Alfredsson

Out of those 9, 2 are playing on the team right now and out of the other 7:

Chara - Salary reasons (Normal)
Redden - was kept
Hossa - Traded because of monetary reasons (ability to retain)
Havlat - Traded because of monetary reasons (ability to retain)
Spezza - Requested a trade (ability to retain)
Heatley - Requested a trade ( ability to retain)
Alfredsson - Franchise player lowballed (ability to retain)

I mean 5 of the 7 elite players (not counting Chara, Redden) we've had in the last 10 years who are not on the team right now have either asked for a trade or been traded due to internal budget. Seems pretty clear that the team had problem keeping elite players here. Not saying it's still the case because it isn't at all but you have to be blind to not see from the past.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It was confirmed by Murray.

Heatley also requested a trade.

Hossa was a money problem so it does indirectly have something to do with the ability of retaining him.

Havlat was also a money problem which affected us of retaining him. (He was UFA got from 2,6M to 6M)

Chara/Redden and Alfie are just obvious.

Hossa, Chara/Redden, and Havlat were cap casualties, not lack of funds problems. We had tons of talent at the time and good players had to be let go. When you have Alfie, Spezza, Hossa (or Heatley), Havlat, Redden/Chara, all out of their ELC starting in 2006, somethings gotta give.

We chose to let Chara walk rather than give him the money he could demand. We chose to trade Havlat because if we didn't, once again we`d be in cap hell.

Heatley definately decided to leave. Spezza wanting to leave probably had more to do with the team being in decline at the tail end of his prime years than a systemic issue with our ability to retain talent. The Alfie situation is obviously a unique one, again not really evidence of any systemic issues.

I mean, Chicago let Ladd, Byfuglien, Saad, Sharp and Leddy go, but nobody says they have systemic issues retaining talent. Because cap casualties are normal, particularly when teams are successful like we were when Hossa, Chara, and Havlat left.

We were a cap team from 2005-2008. it wasn`t until 2008-09 when Hartsburg sunk the team that we stoped. Hossa, Havlat, and Chara were all gone.

Last edited:

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
How many elite players did Ottawa have in the last 10 years? Chara, Redden, Hossa, Havlat, Karlsson, Ryan, Heatley, Spezza, Alfredsson

Redden - was kept

I mean 5 of the 7 elite players (not counting Chara, Redden) we've had in the last 10 years who are not on the team right now have either asked for a trade or been traded due to internal budget. Seems pretty clear that the team had problem keeping elite players here. Not saying it's still the case because it isn't at all but you have to be blind to not see from the past.

Very good points. We've had some really talented guys come through this organization who aren't with us now for one reason or another.

I would be very disappointed if we weren't able to keep a guy like Karlsson here his whole career but it's quite possible he won't end it here in Ottawa either. Hell, look at Alfredsson, the guy many called the face of our franchise for so many years, even he left and we thought he would never leave.. It would not surprise me in the least if Karlsson did somewhere down the line.

It's all possible. Like the saying goes, if Wayne Gretzky can get traded, anyone can (paraphrasing)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Hossa, Chara/Redden, and Havlat were cap casualties, not lack of funds problems. We had tons of talent at the time and good players had to be let go. When you have Alfie, Spezza, Hossa (or Heatley), Havlat, Redden/Chara, all out of their ELC starting in 2006, somethings gotta give.

We chose to let Chara walk rather than give him the money he could demand. We chose to trade Havlat because if we didn't, once again we`d be in cap hell.

Heatley definately decided to leave. Spezza wanting to leave probably had more to do with the team being in decline at the tail end of his prime years than a systemic issue with our ability to retain talent. The Alfie situation is obviously a unique one, again not really evidence of any systemic issues.

I mean, Chicago let Ladd, Byfuglien, Saad, Sharp and Leddy go, but nobody says they have systemic issues retaining talent. Because cap casualties are normal, particularly when teams are successful like we were when Hossa, Chara, and Havlat left.

We were a cap team from 2005-2008. it wasn`t until 2008-09 when Hartsburg sunk the team that we stoped. Hossa, Havlat, and Chara were all gone.

Sums it up nicely.

When Chara left, I was disappointed; however, I think Boston paid too much at I believe $7.5 M per year. At that time, the Senators paid Phillips and Volchenkov about $6m together, which I think was better value than having Chara at $7.5 M. We got 2 very good defensive Dmen and $1.5M left over for other contracts.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Sums it up nicely.

When Chara left, I was disappointed; however, I think Boston paid too much at I believe $7.5 M per year. At that time, the Senators paid Phillips and Volchenkov about $6m together, which I think was better value than having Chara at $7.5 M. We got 2 very good defensive Dmen and $1.5M left over for other contracts.

The other thing was Redden was still a top d-man at the time. The fact that he fell off a cliff the next season made letting Chara go look a lot worse than it would have been. You can call Redden a cap casualty but by the time he left, it was clear he wasn't worth close what he ended up getting from the Rangers.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

At the end of the day the Senators have had some truly excellent players bail/walk/force their way off/cap casualties in their prime like Hossa and Chara

This franchise has an established history when it comes to losing talent, that there are good reasons for the talent to have left/get traded does not change that

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Having a continuous flow of talent coming through the pipeline is critical in todays NHL, and I believe our management team has set up the team really well for success with the amount of talent we have at all positions. The abundance of prospects will eventually allow for us to move one or two in deals for more high-end talent at the NHL level since we are not exactly a free agent destination "hot spot".

I am particularly excited to see what White and Chabot can bring to the NHL level.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Redden - was kept

Ok but you have decided we were talking about the ability to retain talent... I was just talking about what the original poster said, which was "consistent issues with retaining star talent". When you trade a player, does it means you wouldn't have been able to retain him? There's a salary cap. Havlat was traded and Chara was let go because we couldn't fit an all-star roster under the cap... If it wasn't Chara, it would have been Redden, pick your poison. Even Hossa, was traded for cap purposes, Heatley was cheaper for a it longer. So it has nothing to do with "ability" to retain, but only with the fact that you have too many star players and have to make sacrifices. Look at the Hawks over the years.

Now Heatley, Spezza and Alfredsson were different beasts. They were used to play for a contender and suddenly had to play for a rebuilding team.

Heatley didn't even got there, he got in a fight with the coach and became disgruntled. The team traded him but in the end, it was really a blessing. Problem : he didn't like the coach and didn't fit in the system that coach was trying to implement

Alfredsson left because he wanted a chance to win a Cup with his Swedish buddies. Everyone would have done the same. Ability to retain Afredsson"... I mean how under the market contracts did he sign with the Sens? Just because he tried something else 1 year means that much? Seriously, the Sens were not ready to pay him 6M$ for that last year. It was a bit cheap but for a business standpoint, it makes sense... A bit like with Volchenkov (don't think he's going to be worth that much). However, they owed that money to Alfie but it's not my money so my opinion stops there.

Spezza took a lot of blame over the years, I understand why he was tired of that and wanted to try something else, in a more "sane" environnement, because Canadian hockey fans are fanatics and it must be irritating over time.

So I agree on Heatley and Spezza, but even then, there was more than traditional reasons. Sens also made a big culture change and went through a rebuild so usually big moves are made during those times.

Look at it the other way :

- Ryan : signed long-term
- Karlsson : signed long-term
- Methot, Anderson, MacArthur, Michalek (without being big stars) : retained
- Alfredsson, Neil, Phillips : retained all their careers (or almost)
- Chara, Havlat, Hossa, Fisher, Vermette, Kelly : doesn't apply because they were traded for cap reasons or culture change

Can't think of too many players that left because they wanted. Heatley and Spezza, yes. Volchenkov and Gonchar, let go because they were judged "too expensive now"

Please let me know which player left on his own outside of the pizza line.

EDIT : oh I just saw this but this is PLAIN wrong : "traded due to internal budget"... No, they were traded because the team was stuck to the cap, internal budget is a more of a recent thing. Alfie and Spezza were a bit victims of that but in that Spezza's case, did you want to be stuck with Spezza for 4 more years at 7.5? As much as I liked Spezza, it was for the best to trade him.

At the end of the day the Senators have had some truly excellent players bail/walk/force their way off/cap casualties in their prime like Hossa and Chara

This franchise has an established history when it comes to losing talent, that there are good reasons for the talent to have left/get traded does not change that

Ok but you didn't say it like that the first time, so that's why we started a discussion based on that : "consitent issues with retaining star talent"... Unless I don't understand the word "retaining" correctly.

When I look at the list of players retained over the years vs not retained (Heatley, Spezza, Alfie), for me the real problem is to attract established talent from elsewhere. That's why this team has to build through the draft.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

The more talent you have, the more talent you will lose, particularly in a cap environment.

Most of our lost talent was when we were talent rich, and stuck against the cap. That's not a systemic issue, and has little predictive value when it comes to our future or current ability to retain talent. I don't really see the point in talking about how Ottawa lost talent do to the cap, any team would in the same situation, unless of course you think other teams would manage to get more preferable team friendly deals.

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013
Not enough mention of Chris Wideman. Any time I have seen him play he has been the standout D. I remember thinking the same at the last development camp. The guy will definitely be an NHL'er and likely this year. Really good puck mover, good wheels and good positioning. His D-game is solid, but of course being smaller, fast and strong offense means he will get lots of criticism for not "clearing the front of the net" or delivering "thundering checks" that leave you out of position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad