Podcast (Audio) Ottawa Senators podcasts and blogs discussion

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Judgy , judgy, A sign of the times are people labelling others with their beliefs. You are no different
Says mister "I decide who is a good fan"

We already knew Ryan was a chud, I still liked him because he was well spoken and pretty articulate and easy guy to cheer for considering all he has been through.

Again, no one would have cared had he not kept going on. He wanted to rant, so he did, and now he reaps.

It isn't cancel culture, it is a consequence culture.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Agreed. I haven't really seen the tirade he went on. Did he delete his socials wyet?
Why the heck are you posting about how no one gave Bobby a chance when you haven’t seen what he wrote? There’s plenty of twitter posts within this thread of what he said, form your own opinion

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Anyways, selfishly it would have been a great podcast for Bobby to go on and explain his actions and for Brent to push back and maybe create a teaching moment. Instead, cancelling and banishment from this messedup scoety that we live in. The worst things he said was "pretending women's sports is a thing, and that was the biggie, imo. Hey, if he doesn't like women's NCAA, then he is fine not to like it and say that the hype is out of control. I don't think that is what got him fired.

Society is full off sanctimonious judges, and you see plenty of them here who would be the first to apologize and expect a different outcome than the ones that they treat others with. It is a dangerous world nowadays and no one will ever know how I truly feel about anything online.

Only political people get to apologize and keep their jobs. The rest of thr world has different rules
Wow more moronic takes. Bobby hasn’t even apologized. But it’s society’s fault of course…SMH

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
What part of Bobby’s tweets that day makes you think he would’ve done anything on that podcast besides digging himself into a further hole?

There are a lot of assumptions here. One of which is that Bobby wasn’t given an opportunity to speak up and have a discussion, maybe apologize. Maybe he was and he stuck by his view. I really don’t know either way but I think it’s important to acknowledge that at no point that day was Bobby engaging in a discussion in good faith. He asked for names and then accused people of googling when he was given some, which is a roundabout way of saying I believe what I believe and no conversation is going to cause me to rethink my perspective. And so unless he woke up the next day with a change of heart (of which he explicitly said he would not), there was never a discussion or teaching moment to be had.
Well, we will never know what he would have said on the podcast. Naybe he would say he was referring to basketball only, and not tennis, hockey or golf. Being an avid golfer, I can't see him saying that comment about women's golf...but we will never know.

I don't think Twitter is a good platform for delving into the comments. If there was only a podcast that he could do it on...

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Says mister "I decide who is a good fan"

We already knew Ryan was a chud, I still liked him because he was well spoken and pretty articulate and easy guy to cheer for considering all he has been through.

Again, no one would have cared had he not kept going on. He wanted to rant, so he did, and now he reaps.

It isn't cancel culture, it is a consequence culture.
Good fans buy tickets. Ottawa has great fans now.

It is cancel culture, because his comments are not cancel worthy. Only to you and others who think they have a right to force their opinions and beliefs on others

Wow more moronic takes. Bobby hasn’t even apologized. But it’s society’s fault of course…SMH
Because you can't explain why. Got it.

Anyways, you probably are the Twitter guy who hates on Methot too and his opinions, guaranteed.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
It is cancel culture, because his comments are not cancel worthy. Only to you and others who think they have a right to force their opinions and beliefs on others

The irony is that the people most offended by what they perceive Bobby's comments to be have behaved much worse than Bobby by resorting to ad hominem attacks, insults and/or bringing up his alcoholism.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The irony is that the people most offended by what they perceive Bobby's comments to be have behaved much worse than Bobby by resorting to ad hominem attacks, insults and/or bringing up his alcoholism.
There were certainly a bunch of idiots coming out of the woodworks attacking Ryan for his comments,

But the way I see it, the problem is Ryan, as an ambassador to his show, and thus a representative of their sponsors, decided to jump head first into the culture wars, the bunch of idiots didn't cancel Ryan, he did it himself by continuing to engage with them. No business wants to be associated with either side of a culture war going sideways. Ryan could have very easily put the phone down after he got a perfect response from Meghan Chayka to his dumb and antagonistic challenge to name players, but he decided he needed to take on what he thought was the woke mob.

Play stupid games, get stupid prizes.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
There were certainly a bunch of idiots coming out of the woodworks attacking Ryan for his comments,

But the way I see it, the problem is Ryan, as an ambassador to his show, and thus a representative of their sponsors, decided to jump head first into the culture wars, the bunch of idiots didn't cancel Ryan, he did it himself by continuing to engage with them. No business wants to be associated with either side of a culture war going sideways. Ryan could have very easily put the phone down after he got a perfect response from Meghan Chayka to his dumb and antagonistic challenge to name players, but he decided he needed to take on what he thought was the woke mob.

Play stupid games, get stupid prizes.
Agree with this. It would be one thing to make a joke about women's sports. There's been lots of jokes made over the last few weeks. Michael Che on SNL said some New York bars will only be showing women's basketball. They're easy to find because they'll be empty.

But Ryan took it a bit further.

It wasn't a tirade or a meltdown as some on this board described it. It was a few tweets about not taking women's sports seriously. He should've stopped himself for two reasons; 1) to be respectful to female athletes and their fans 2) for the sake of the Coming in Hot show.

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink
Agree with this. It would be one thing to make a joke about women's sports. There's been lots of jokes made over the last few weeks. Michael Che on SNL said some New York bars will only be showing women's basketball. They're easy to find because they'll be empty.

But Ryan took it a bit further.

It wasn't a tirade or a meltdown as some on this board described it. It was a few tweets about not taking women's sports seriously. He should've stopped himself for two reasons; 1) to be respectful to female athletes and their fans 2) for the sake of the Coming in Hot show.

I wouldn't describe it as a tirade or a meltdown, but it sure as shit wasn't completely normal either. There were not a few tweets, but dozens and dozens when you factor in him replying to other people. It was a pretty remarkable investement of time and energy.

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink

You genuinely can't see any valid position where what Bobby said and did on a sports topic would not be seen as consistent with ongoing participation on a sports show dependent on sponsors and advertisers and niche viewship? He wasn't doing anything so righteous that it deserves anybody putting themselves at reputational risk for his right to be a culture warrior on the internet. There is no indication that he had or has any interest in standing down, or meeting anybody half way. For whatever reason, all this was worth it to him. Baffles me, but I understand that mileage varies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Bang on. Incredible, really, how much abuse he has taken that dwarfs what he said.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
You genuinely can't see any valid position where what Bobby said and did on a sports topic would not be seen as consistent with ongoing participation on a sports show dependent on sponsors and advertisers and niche viewship? He wasn't doing anything so righteous that it deserves anybody putting themselves at reputational risk for his right to be a culture warrior on the internet. There is no indication that he had or has any interest in standing down, or meeting anybody half way. For whatever reason, all this was worth it to him. Baffles me, but I understand that mileage varies.
Of course I can see a valid position. Whether I agree with it or not is the issue, and I understand many don't. Many do, but aren't courageous to share it. It shouldn't get you fired. Hey, he doesn't like women's basketball and he should be allowed to say it no differently than Stacey Abrams can make comments of Arizona moving from a diverse city to a very white city , and saying this is "on brand" for the NHL. She can say it with seeming impunity, but Bobby Ryan can't say that he doesn't buy the hype of women's NCAA basketball and then challeneges the new fans to back up their enjoyment of the game and not doing so just for the hype.

Does that make any sense to anyone?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Spoken like a true business owner "clients either give me their money for the quality I am comfortable giving them, or they are wrong". The entitlement is strong with that statement.

The fans didn't change. The population of Ottawa did not experience a nearly 1:1 turnover over the last 24 months. Something else has changed though... I can't quite put my finger on it.

• Haha
Reactions: coladin

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Because you can't explain why. Got it.

Anyways, you probably are the Twitter guy who hates on Methot too and his opinions, guaranteed.
It’s not cancel culture. It’s simply getting fired. People have gotten fired for thousands of years.

You can’t be on a sports talk podcast and insult women’s sports the way he did and legit refuse to back off his stance. Which is a flat out wierd stance to have to begin with.

If my boss found out I was bitching about women in my field of work. Guess what would happen. Rightly fired.

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink
Of course I can see a valid position. Whether I agree with it or not is the issue, and I understand many don't. Many do, but aren't courageous to share it. It shouldn't get you fired. Hey, he doesn't like women's basketball and he should be allowed to say it no differently than Stacey Abrams can make comments of Arizona moving from a diverse city to a very white city , and saying this is "on brand" for the NHL. She can say it with seeming impunity, but Bobby Ryan can't say that he doesn't buy the hype of women's NCAA basketball and then challeneges the new fans to back up their enjoyment of the game and not doing so just for the hype.

Does that make any sense to anyone?
Do you mean this?

https://x.com/saucyrockets/status/1778134585651409107?s=61&t=cdPQb7_ZH6OSjQm_broREg

That’s not Stacey Abrams?

Like Bobby, if you’re hell bent on finding a front in the culture war everywhere, you probably will.

• Haha
Reactions: Micklebot

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Do you mean this?

https://x.com/saucyrockets/status/1778134585651409107?s=61&t=cdPQb7_ZH6OSjQm_broREg

That’s not Stacey Abrams?

Like Bobby, if you’re hell bent on finding a front in the culture war everywhere, you probably will.
Yes!

Thanks for clarifying that, but in any event, I suppose i thought it was her because many sports peronalities or writers have said quite nasty stuff like that.

I couldn't care less about Bobby, just an observation with how the world is going, and I will just try and live ( and duck) in it

Reactions: 5ive4Fighting

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink
Yes!

Thanks for clarifying that, but in any event, I suppose i thought it was her because many sports peronalities or writers have said quite nasty stuff like that.

I couldn't care less about Bobby, just an observation with how the world is going, and I will just try and live ( and duck) in it

I think this situation has stuck with me because I did care about Bobby, and liked him on the pod. So the whole thing feels costly to me. Makes me want to understand what happened, but I don’t think I will, other than perceiving it as Bobby being a bit blindly invested in the culture war, to his own detriment.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Spoken like a true business owner "clients either give me their money for the quality I am comfortable giving them, or they are wrong". The entitlement is strong with that statement.

The fans didn't change. The population of Ottawa did not experience a nearly 1:1 turnover over the last 24 months. Something else has changed though... I can't quite put my finger on it.
This probably coming from a public servant lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad