TSN: Ottawa Senators Foundation launch $500K PPE campaign

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
The Ottawa Senators Foundation announced on Monday the launch of a $500,000 fundraising initiative to support a community-led "Shielding Heroes" campaign to ensure personal protective equipment of face-shield frames & face shields get to Ottawa-area and Eastern Ontario hospitals that are low in supply amid the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
The campaign seeks to ensure the PPE will be shipped weekly for the next 12 weeks.

Sens Shielding Heroes Campaign

Ottawa Senators Foundation launches $500K PPE campaign for Ottawa-area hospitals - TSN.ca

Last edited:
Reactions: derriko

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The Ottawa Senators Foundation announced on Monday the launch of a $500,000 fundraising initiative to support a community-led "Shielding Heroes" campaign to ensure personal protective equipment of face-shield frames & face shields get to Ottawa-area and Eastern Ontario hospitals that are low in supply amid the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
The campaign seeks to ensure the PPE will be shipped weekly for the next 12 weeks.

Ottawa Senators Foundation launches $500K PPE campaign for Ottawa-area hospitals - TSN.ca

Melnyk is happy to use other people's money to grab a headline.

Unless I missed the part where Eugene was matching donations $ for $.

Reactions: Sun God Nika

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Melnyk is happy to use other people's money to grab a headline.

Either way, people need a source they can trust before they give their money away. Any one of us could have launched a fundraiser but will enough people trust us to bank a big enough number? Probably not.

The Senators foundation is a trusted entity, people will donate to this because it is a good cause, so although it is an easy way to take credit for Melnyk for doing something nice, not many people are in a position to do that and at least the Sens are taking advantage of their prowess in this community.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
There’s probably much better avenues to donate money/PPE to frontline workers.

nhl-chart1.jpg

Last edited:

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Seriously, I don't want anything to do with the Sens even if it is for a good cause.

This forum is related to the sens... LOL

FYI

Sens foundation board is Melnyk free

The Ottawa Senators Foundation board of directors consists of community-minded business leaders. Many of whom have been long-time residents in the region and have helped influence positive change at various levels for citizens across the region. As such, they offer leadership and guidance as to how the Foundation can maximize it’s fundraising and philanthropic efforts to ensure positive and lasting differences are being made in the lives of children and youth.

About us

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
There’s probably much better avenues to donate money/PPE to frontline workers.

nhl-chart1.jpg

I don’t see this a terrible sign. Basically the larger cities generate more revenue for similar sized administrations to manage.... I hope anyway.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
The title of this thread is a tad and the TSN article is a tad misleading. Should read "The Ottawa Senators Foundation - Launch PPE Campaign". When reading the title, my immediate thought was "No way Euge would pony up any cash for this".

Ottawa Senators/Sens Foundation are two different entities.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I thought I remember hearing that The sens foundation has less corporate sponsorship, so they rely more on 50/50 which lowered the % that went to charities

Yeah, it's pretty clear when you read the audit i posted a few posts up. They don't raise too much compared to the bigger teams.

BTW they have the same C+ rating as MLSE by charity intelligence canada.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think there's a bit of a misconception regarding charitable foundations. There are costs to raising money. Events to be organized. Staff to be paid. People raise money for a living. If a charitable foundation raises a million dollars but it costs 600k to do it, it's still 400k that otherwise wouldn't have been raised

And with a limited corp base locally, i suspect the value of each donation on average is lower than if you were chasing big Corp dollars with the chances of landing five figure donations

If the foundation was skimming money from donations now that would clearly be an issue but i don't think that has been an issue

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I think there's a bit of a misconception regarding charitable foundations. There are costs to raising money. Events to be organized. Staff to be paid. People raise money for a living. If a charitable foundation raises a million dollars but it costs 600k to do it, it's still 400k that otherwise wouldn't have been raised

And with a limited corp base locally, i suspect the value of each donation on average is lower than if you were chasing big Corp dollars with the chances of landing five figure donations

If the foundation was skimming money from donations now that would clearly be an issue but i don't think that has been an issue
You are correct, it's the way all charitable organizations are run. Hockey clubs charitable foundations aren't the only ones operating this way.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Saw that and thought there was some irony there. It's like the old band all gettting back together to bring support after the highly publicized divorce with Eugene.

For sure, but really it’s Tara Boro bringing in a big boost before she heads off to Nash-Vegas.

She was part of it and she was not happy with the way things went down. Good on her to get it moving in the right direction.

Hope they manage their cash better this time.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Who knows what really happened here

Chris Phillips is the head of the new entity. Brad Weir was hired to run things.

There's a lot of guys lined up on the other side

I don't think this is as simple as right or wrong and i suspect few know what really drove this split

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Who knows what really happened here

Chris Phillips is the head of the new entity. Brad Weir was hired to run things.

There's a lot of guys lined up on the other side

I don't think this is as simple as right or wrong and i suspect few know what really drove this split

The best outcome possible is that each of these charities will fight harder to beat the other one, for fundraising... and financial efficiency.

It is a win for the community. Not for Eugene‘s reputation though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad