GDT: Ottawa Senators at Washington Capitals - 7PM - SN/TVAS - Capital Letter Double Yew

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
What do you guys think our save percentage would be if the league took pity and allowed us to play Korpisalo and Forsberg on the ice together?

Reactions: heater007

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada
What do you guys think our save percentage would be if the league took pity and allowed us to play Korpisalo and Forsberg on the ice together?
"You take it, cause I got it for sure" is one conversation I could see happening 😉

lang006

Jan 2, 2020
Man that was awful. Was late watching. Wish I didn’t bother. Washington was garbage also. We simply beat ourselves with dung goaltending by Forsberg and whatever the heck that Chychrun Hamonic pairing were trying to do all night.

Need more cap flexibility in future seasons to be able to scratch guys and have call ups or spares based on performances not only injuries. Clearly that 4th line doesn’t work. Kubalik either isn’t an nhler and/or can’t play in that role. Need puck cyclers on it.

Obviously these goalies can’t be trusted tho my goodness. Reading the odd poster in here still defending our goalie performances is crazy. Ours certainly don’t win us games with their play and more often than not they’ve really pooped the bed badly in losses.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Just finished watching the game... Ugh... Now we see how Chychrun or Hamonic were sheltered when paired with Brannstrom. Tonight we saw both in their full glory when left to their own devices.

In honour of @DrEasy I'm having a radler and Doritos with the game
Indeed! Went to the mini-fridge in the basement to grab one to watch the PVR'd game, and saw it was missing.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Meh, after a nice string of games they laid a stinker. To be expected and there will be more.

Interesting to see who goes at trade time.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Hamonic, Chychrun and Forsberg were just too awful for a NHL team to have a chance to win this game. Team looked totally dejected after the Caps 5th goal.

I was too hyped up, they were honestly playing great.

Anyway oh well, at least game tomorrow so can respond quick and forget about this one

They have been so much better after a few weeks following the coaching change (I have noticed the turnaround about January 11th) but there is stil several problems :

- PP is useless this season (before and after coaching change)

- When Hamonic is on the ice, it's almost like a 6 on 4 for the other team

- When Kubalik is on the ice, it's almost like a 5 on 4 for the other team

- Something is wrong with Chychrun, he has been playing the worst hockey of his NHL career

- Our goalies are WIDLY inconsistent. Every time it looks we finally have stable goaltending they come up with a game where they fall apart

- There is still some bad habits to clean up in their games, notably Stutzle who is still trying to do too much and end up with a costly turnover.

- They often start the game disorganized and not ready and fall in a hole quickly

Now we see how Chychrun or Hamonic were sheltered when paired with Brannstrom. Tonight we saw both in their full glory when left to their own devices.

Poor Brannstrom seriously, for how "sheltered" he has been in the NHL, he has played a lot with Josh Brown, Nick Holden (declined version), Travis Hamonic... impossible to be sheltered when you're paired with guys who are barely NHL level or done at the NHL level.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emrasie and DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hamonic has to be the absolute worst on a 2 on 1, idk what happened to the guy because it's pretty basic stuff the he was at least capable of for the vast majority of his career. he plays the pass but let's it through every time, sometimes twice, at this point he may as well charge the shooter at least then he takes one option out.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
1709042940838.png

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Just finished watching the game... Ugh... Now we see how Chychrun or Hamonic were sheltered when paired with Brannstrom. Tonight we saw both in their full glory when left to their own devices.

Indeed! Went to the mini-fridge in the basement to grab one to watch the PVR'd game, and saw it was missing.
They have played together before and been fine. Chychrun has checked out and wants off the team. Nothing more than that.

Reactions: Alex1234

lang006

Jan 2, 2020
Do we buy out both goalies and start from scratch?

It would open up 5 mil for goaltending after the buyout,
Unfortunately I think that is the only option with Korpi is to buyout at this point. Admittedly, its only a couple months of sample size in having more overall organized play in front of him but most games lately we've really cut down shots and high danger chances against and he seems to be struggling more often than not as far as starting NHL goalies go. Obviously no goalie can be asked to stop them all but this guy really doesn't seem capable of making timely saves and rarely helps the team by making the momentum changing saves etc. that a team can rally around and get back into games with. No team is going to pick up 4 more years of that awful contract term so I think we have to buyout.

Forsberg is fine as backup goalie next year (1 year left) and then can be released or whatever. Once (and I can only hope soon) we have an actual starter capable of getting bulk of the starts and posting decent or at least respectable statistics then you can bring in or try out cheap back ups. Definitely do not commit to backup goalies with term and $ like previous management had done with rewarding Forsberg. Nice story and all that to show loyalty or whatever after several waiver wire trips but its not needed. We can try rewarding the developing AHL goalies or more experienced veteran goalies coming in cheap. Give them roles in the pipeline and try and have them earn opportunity for NHL backup starts. Have a battle each training camp for the backup goalie role. I don't know. I'm no goalie expert but something better needs to happen with the net.

Reactions: Emrasie

lang006

Jan 2, 2020
Hamonic has to be the absolute worst on a 2 on 1, idk what happened to the guy because it's pretty basic stuff the he was at least capable of for the vast majority of his career. he plays the pass but let's it through every time, sometimes twice, at this point he may as well charge the shooter at least then he takes one option out.
Agreed. I hate to pile onto him for that since having multiple 2 on 1s against is not his fault but Caps were passing pucks right thru him like he wasn't even there. Yes, the latter one there were even two passes clean thru him. It was bizarre. You'd think he'd perhaps even luck his way into slightly deflecting one of those away. haha

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Agreed. I hate to pile onto him for that since having multiple 2 on 1s against is not his fault but Caps were passing pucks right thru him like he wasn't even there. Yes, the latter one there were even two passes clean thru him. It was bizarre. You'd think he'd perhaps even luck his way into slightly deflecting one of those away. haha
In Zaitsev's final years here he'd just charge the shooter, looked awful but it's more effective than what Hamonic is doing.

I do blame him at least partially for the one 2 on 1, he can't let his shot get blocked when he's the only guy high, sometimes you just can't take that one timer. That said, someone should have been high with him, nobody covered when Chychrun went deep ( I think it was Chych)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad