Prospect Info: Ottawa Senators agree to terms with forward Egor Sokolov on a one-year, two-way contract

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Surprised we didn't give him more for the AHL side. I mean, imama is getting three times as much

Maybe they guaranteed him x number of NHL games?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Surprised we didn't give him more for the AHL side. I mean, imama is getting three times as much

Maybe they guaranteed him x number of NHL games?

Guy I know, played a few with the Sens actually, had it into his contract he was guaranteed a salary xxx above his AHL contract, to ensure he spent a minimum of time with the NHL team. Pretty sure it was reflected in the contract, I’d assume Sokolov would have gotten that type of guarantee.

Though maybe it’s just a word of mouth promise and acceptance by them both.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Good for Sokolov he guaranteed himself a minimum of roughly 105K CAD after taxes and FX to play a game.

Yes i calculated it

Reactions: DylanSensFan

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
From my perspective this kid is NHL ready. Got the short end of the stick on the AHL contract. I hope he spends most of his time in the NHL on the third or fourth line. I think he's come a long way in recently months. I hope he smashes through at camp.

Reactions: aragorn

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He wasn't anywhere near quick enough to be an effective NHL player.

Here's to hoping he's found a way to improve on that front because he has sweet hands.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
The bit about Norris in the article is a bit concerning. Or maybe it's nothing.

"Norris is coming off shoulder surgery that kept him out most of last season. Dorion was asked if Norris would be ready to go for camp and indicated he’ll address that situation Wednesday"

Guess we'll find out tomorrow

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Same cap hit as macewen and just 10k more expensive than Kelly. All players can be sent to the ahl without staying on Sens cap sheet. Let the best players earn it

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Sokolov is hungry to make the team. He wasn't going to risk letting the negotiations drag on if it meant he could miss training camp. He had an interview recently in Le Droit where he said he didn't really care about trying to get rich right now and that he just wants to achieve his dream of playing in the NHL.

He spent the entire offseason in Ottawa. He worked with the Sens strength and conditioning coaches. He trained something like three days a week with Sens power skating coach Shelley Kettles. He rented a house with Tyler Boucher, Mads Sogaard and Jorion Donovan and spent the summer training with them. Stephen Halliday also spent a couple of weeks with them as well. Whatever training they were doing Halliday looked impressive at development camp and Donovan looked impressive as dev camp and the rookie tournament.

Sokolov also said in an interview this summer that he has adjusted his game so he can try to earn a role as a depth player first. He focused a lot on battling around the net, getting pucks out of corners and making quick smart and simple plays. He also tried to study the power game of Tage Thompson and Valeri Nichushkin so he could protect the puck better when he is going hard to the net.

From all indications he really put in the work this summer and he really wants to give himself the best chance he can to crack the roster. It will certainly be interesting to hear how he looks in training camp and get to see what he can do in preseason. He's hungry and is looking to prove to everybody that he is an NHL player.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
One of my favourite prospects to follow, just seems like a great kid, puts in the effort and really wants to succeed

Hard not to root for him, if he's adapted his game for the bottom 6 he has some enticing tools.

I'm eager to see how he looks,

Reactions: aragorn

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Two very good seasons in the AHL, it would be a shame if the team didn't give him a solid look on Pinto's line.
1 good season, but did get 7 games one year when WHL was shut down due to Covid.
Assuming you’re referring to Greig.
Edit: Nevermind Sokolov.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Egor Sokolov Stats:
2022 - 2023 - 70 games - 21 goals - 38 assists = 59 Pts (1st)
2021 - 2022 - 64 games - 19 goals - 31 assists = 50 Pts (2nd)
2020 - 2021 - 35 games - 15 goals - 10 assists = 35 Pts (1st)

Continued Improvement ...

Reactions: Bileur and Icelevel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad