Prospect Info: Ottawa Re-draft since 2008 (BPA) #3

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00007328.html

From the 2008 to 2016 Sens drafts, who would you pick next as the #2 best player (BPA) when everything is said and done. Not based on need and contracts, but who will be the best player overall?

For several of those picks, we already have a good idea of what they are or what they will become, but for several others, you will need to use your gut feelings and your "scouting expertise"

I know it's a bit unfair for new draftees, but it's for fun anyways, to keep in touch with hockey during the summer

The goal is to determine Ottawa's prowess at drafting, listing players in order of value. Of course, it would be great to compare that list with other teams for that period of time

#1 ERIK KARLSSON Poll #1 here
#2 MARK STONE Poll #2 here

Last edited:

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Gonna go with zibby, but so happy to see the love Hoffman earned on this board. The scrubs that agreed with the waivers are silenced forever.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
I went Hoffman, but it wasn't an easy choice. Would be fine seeing Zibby win, too. Will vote for whichever of them loses for #4.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I see that almost everyone is going with the safe bet... So you envision none of White, Chabot or Brown having a better career than Hoffman or Zibanejad?

Personally, Hoffman will come #6

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I see that almost everyone is going with the safe bet... So you envision none of White, Chabot or Brown having a better career than Hoffman or Zibanejad?

30 goals 30 assists... that's a pretty damned good player in the current league considering how low scoring last season was. Even if those three pan out, it's a pretty high bar to meet.

I kinda think Brown and White will be studs but Hoffman is a stud too. Just love that shot and feel its a huge asset in today's game. His release is exceptional.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Hoffman is easily our most dynamic player on the list.

But I think when we're a few years in, we'll be gushing over Colin White. He's got superstar potential all over him.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007

It's the eternal debate. Do you rank on potential or on likeliness to achieve? Unlike those debates on the top prospects threads, the likely top-4 in this case have all shown that they can score 50+ points. I sure hope Brown, White, and Chabot all overtake them in a few years because that would be amazing for the team, but at the moment I don't know how you can rank a potential player over a guy who has already done what we hope they will do in the future.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I went with the shiny new toy :naughty:

I could see him eventually exceeding Zib on the depth chart, and he will be more complete than Hoff. Guy has the highest ceiling and I'm banking on the idea that he hits it. He has the work ethic to make it so.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Zibanejad for me. Hoffman is a better offensive player right now, but he's in the middle of his peak years where Zibanejad is only moving into them now.

Zib is a big, physical centre that has a cannon of a shot, can play in all situations, and still has room for improvement. Hoffman is what he is and is outstanding at that, but it's unlikely he takes any further steps outside of small incremental improvements.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
30 goals 30 assists... that's a pretty damned good player in the current league considering how low scoring last season was. Even if those three pan out, it's a pretty high bar to meet.

I kinda think Brown and White will be studs but Hoffman is a stud too. Just love that shot and feel its a huge asset in today's game. His release is exceptional.

I agree, Hoffman is a great offensive talent, I'd even say he has an elite skillset. But he started late and for some reason I don't think he will have a lot of success for a very long time. Then when we will look back at "when everything is said and done", I think some guys like Zibanejad, Brown or White will have had a better/more valuable overall career.

Hoffman is easily our most dynamic player on the list.

But I think when we're a few years in, we'll be gushing over Colin White. He's got superstar potential all over him.

Then just go ahead and vote for him. This is about gut feelings and scouting evaluation... Who will be the best player when everything is said and done?

It's the eternal debate. Do you rank on potential or on likeliness to achieve? Unlike those debates on the top prospects threads, the likely top-4 in this case have all shown that they can score 50+ points. I sure hope Brown, White, and Chabot all overtake them in a few years because that would be amazing for the team, but at the moment I don't know how you can rank a potential player over a guy who has already done what we hope they will do in the future.

You're right but it's not the prospect rankings though.

This poll is more based on gut feelings, scouting, potential evaluation, faith, expectations... First time we try this : hindsight vs premonition

It's just for fun anyways, to keep talking about the Sens.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

This is why I said it was hard. Hoffman is the best player on the list... atm. Zibanejad, Chabot, White and Brown could all end up better.

yogibear

Mar 21, 2007
Ottawa/Gatineau
I voted Chabot. I think he will be better than Ceci.

I don't think Hoffman will be sticking around for a long time.

Zibby, not a big fan of him. For a guy that was drafted at rank #6, he has not yet impressed me at all.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
You're right but it's not the prospect rankings though.

This poll is more based on gut feelings, scouting, potential evaluation, faith, expectations... First time we try this : hindsight vs premonition

It's just for fun anyways, to keep talking about the Sens.

Absolutely, I'm just giving my rationale on my vote, not blaming anyone else for voting for young guys. All I mean is like the prospect voting, everyone is using their own criteria.

For me, I'm still voting for the guys that are already very good NHL players over the ones that might be great players. As such, I'll definitely be voting Zibby and probably Ceci before getting into the White Brown Chabot territory. For what it's worth, those would probably be my following three votes, not necessarily in that order.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I voted Chabot. I think he will be better than Ceci.

I don't think Hoffman will be sticking around for a long time.

Zibby, not a big fan of him. For a guy that was drafted at rank #6, he has not yet impressed me at all.

You're doing it right Yogi, but it doesn't matter WHERE those players play or will play. We are evaluating Sens prowess at drafting (since the Murray Era). That is why Silvferberg and Lehner are in this poll.

Absolutely, I'm just giving my rationale on my vote, not blaming anyone else for voting for young guys. All I mean is like the prospect voting, everyone is using their own criteria.

For me, I'm still voting for the guys that are already very good NHL players over the ones that might be great players. As such, I'll definitely be voting Zibby and probably Ceci before getting into the White Brown Chabot territory. For what it's worth, those would probably be my following three votes, not necessarily in that order.

Yeah, you're right, we haven't found a general consensus for prospect rankings voting yet...Personally, I always think we should vote in order of BPA : "who would you take in a draft among all those prospects? Not based on need but BPA."

I understand the way you are voting and I understand that people prefer to vote for the sure thing. Personally, it's going to be a mix for me, like :

Karlsson, Stone, Brown, White, Chabot, Zibanejad, Ceci, Hoffman, Perron, etc... Something like that

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00