Ottawa Becoming this Generations Rival?

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Bruins are Bruins, doesn't seem to matter which era there is mutual hate/respect. Leafs are the 'historic' rivals for the Habs but they've never really had any meaningful games this generation.

Sens have always been like Buffalo for me, we play a lot but nothing really that meaningful. Nowadays, especially after the 2 playoff series, they are growing on me as a rival. Can we say new rival emerged? Frankly, I'm seeing them more of a rival than I've ever seen the Leafs.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
For sure.

Habs are in their head now.

vof82.gif

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Funny how players sticks break making a pass yet goalies can do that.

I'm just talking out of my ass here so perhaps one of the resident goalies can comment but for starters a goalies stick is thicker. Also I am not sure if both types of sticks are made of the same material but you can see that player's sticks are made to bend so that they get that extra power on the shot kind of like a spring. Goalies sticks are made to take the brunt of 100 mile/hour shots.

I think it would take a conserable amount of force to break a goalie stick but here's Mike Smith doing it.

Mike-Smith-Goalie-Smash-Stick-NHL-Phoenix-Coyotes-vs-Chicago-Blackhawks.gif

Tim Thomas trying to break his stick but failing lol

and lastly some vintage Carey Price clips

images

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
I always said these teams really needed to get some playoff rounds together then it would be good. I think it's been better than Habs/Bruins as of late.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Interesting how two series in a row against Tampa hasn't generated any real dislike of their team or fans, yet Ottawa becomes an instant pebble in our shoe. The difference is with Tampa it's skill against skill, and you can't hold grudges against a team that simply shot the puck better. Ottawa plays the tough-guy role, which is opposite to the Habs' style and guaranteed to make us dislike the team and the fan base that buys into that mindset.

I want to beat Tampa to prove we can; I loved demolishing Ottawa in the playoffs and last night because it feels good to beat-down a bully.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Interesting how two series in a row against Tampa hasn't generated any real dislike of their team or fans, yet Ottawa becomes an instant pebble in our shoe. The difference is with Tampa it's skill against skill, and you can't hold grudges against a team that simply shot the puck better. Ottawa plays the tough-guy role, which is opposite to the Habs' style and guaranteed to make us dislike the team and the fan base that buys into that mindset.

I want to beat Tampa to prove we can; I loved demolishing Ottawa in the playoffs and last night because it feels good to beat-down a bully.

The thing with Tampa is they don't have as many players who you feel like punching in the face. With Ottawa, there's Chris Neil, Mark Stone (what a punchable face he has), Borowiecki etc. There's also Gryba who added fuel to the fire even though he's no longer there, Paul Maclean who everybody hated, Smiley Spezza, again who's no longer there but was annoying as hell.

Honestly, I find the Senators have been probably my most disliked team in the last 5 years. Boston obviously too, and the Leafs (to a lesser extent)

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Ottawa has a huge inferiority complex with TO and MTL.

Remove that and there's nothing to fuel the so-called rivalry.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
The thing with Tampa is they don't have as many players who you feel like punching in the face. With Ottawa, there's Chris Neil, Mark Stone (what a punchable face he has), Borowiecki etc. There's also Gryba who added fuel to the fire even though he's no longer there, Paul Maclean who everybody hated, Smiley Spezza, again who's no longer there but was annoying as hell.

Honestly, I find the Senators have been probably my most disliked team in the last 5 years. Boston obviously too, and the Leafs (to a lesser extent)

Don't forget Zach Smith, with Ottawa the hype they get when they are winning is what drives me crazy. You would think the Sens are Cup contenders the way they are hyped when they are winning. With Tampa there isn't too many players I can get annoyed with or hate. Ben Bishop is probably the only one I don't like on that team because of his diving and the fact I don't think he's that good of a goalie.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

I think it's the fans more than anything that make me dislike Ottawa.

Other than maybe Pageau and Neil I don't hate their players that much. It was the same with the Leafs recently, not really any players other than Kadri that I dislike but the fans are insufferable.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere

I don't if you can say you "demolished" Ottawa in the playoffs. You guys won the series 4-2, and even then the last game was a 1-0 win. You demolished us last night, no doubt about that. I'll give credit there. It's a very even rivalry in my opinion with no one team dominating over the other. There's games where you guys have controlled us from start to finish, but there's been games where we've been able to throw our weight around and really get under Price's skin and get some pucks past him, and in the playoffs as well.

I know Montreal fans call Ottawa "insignificant" but if you ask their players, I'm sure they'll tell you they get up for these games and the blood gets pumping a little more too

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think it's the fans more than anything that make me dislike Ottawa.

Other than maybe Pageau and Neil I don't hate their players that much. It was the same with the Leafs recently, not really any players other than Kadri that I dislike but the fans are insufferable.

I hate them all every last mother loving one of them.
Boston and Toronto are special kind of hatreds but I hate every eastern team.
Maybe with more success in the Playoffs i'll start hating the west more? :D

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
I think the rivalry is growing and it's great! Two playoff rounds three years apart will do that.

And with all the changes in Boston, it's not quite the same anymore. Especially with Lucic gone last summer, that was the last of the true rivalry. I still hate Chara with a passion though.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I know Montreal fans call Ottawa "insignificant" but if you ask their players, I'm sure they'll tell you they get up for these games and the blood gets pumping a little more too

You got it wrong. Ottawa fans are not insignifiant, they're insufferable. But the fact you're not out there in significant numbers makes it a little easier for us. :sarcasm:

No really, I'm just joking. Pretty sure some of you guys are OK. But I've had some seriously strange encounters with Ottawa fans and on more than one occasion. I've been yelled at by livid Sens fans in a sports bar after politely introducing myself. It could even get to some not suitable insults to my wife who was wearing Habs gear. OK guys, we'll just back off and enjoy our beers. And that was in Montreal! :laugh:

For me, hockey is just a game and I'll never miss an occasion to make a new friend even if he cheers for another team. But it seems you just can't do that with Sens fans.

Phenom

Grind deez guyss - Michou
Jan 16, 2015
Montreal
I don't have that excitement anymore that i used to have when we face the Bruins. The games feel so bland and they're not as good as they used to be. Miss Lucie :laugh:

Our biggest rivals are the Sens along side with the Rangers and Tampa. There's a playoff atmosphere to it.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I don't if you can say you "demolished" Ottawa in the playoffs. You guys won the series 4-2, and even then the last game was a 1-0 win. You demolished us last night, no doubt about that. I'll give credit there. It's a very even rivalry in my opinion with no one team dominating over the other. There's games where you guys have controlled us from start to finish, but there's been games where we've been able to throw our weight around and really get under Price's skin and get some pucks past him, and in the playoffs as well.

No doubt both teams get pumped when they play each other. There's a real dislike, and I'd never call Ottawa insignificant as a team. I think those comments come from the comparisons with our rivalry with Boston. Not the Sens fault, but you can't weigh our two playoff series against the decades of hate we've had with Boston. Both are legit rivalries, but the Bruins rivalry has gone through generations of fans and stars.

As to the adjective game, it doesn't really matter if we use "Demolished", "Squeaked by" or "Owned". The only thing either side cares about is the final score.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
You got it wrong. Ottawa fans are not insignifiant, they're insufferable. But the fact you're not out there in significant numbers makes it a little easier for us. :sarcasm:

No really, I'm just joking. Pretty sure some of you guys are OK. But I've had some seriously strange encounters with Ottawa fans and on more than one occasion. I've been yelled at by livid Sens fans in a sports bar after politely introducing myself. It could even get to some not suitable insults to my wife who was wearing Habs gear. OK guys, we'll just back off and enjoy our beers. And that was in Montreal! :laugh:

For me, hockey is just a game and I'll never miss an occasion to make a new friend even if he cheers for another team. But it seems you just can't do that with Sens fans.

I know one Sens fan (who I'm seeing tonight) and he's on the loud side. In fairness though, imagine being a rival fan in such a massive and intense hockey market like Montreal. He's a nice guy in normal conversation, but he does overcompensate when hockey's brought up. Good timing seeing him tonight.:naughty:

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa has a huge inferiority complex with TO and MTL.

Remove that and there's nothing to fuel the so-called rivalry.

That's ******** now... The Sens fans did a good job of creating this rivalry. They do have an inferiority complex, but the rivalry is there one way or another.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I can't understand the hate vs. Pageau. Well, other than the fact he plays quite well against us. Then again, he played for the Olympiques, so that's probably why I cannot get myself to hate him.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
As much as some people try to deny it, it's probably ahead of Bruins' games nowadays. Rivalries are built in the playoffs, and you can see it's a different ball game for the players involved in Habs - Sens games. There's just a lot more intensity.

And beyond what happens on the ice, there's somewhat of a rivalry between the fans of the two fanbases as well. A lot of it comes from the never-ending Subban vs. Karlsson bickering, and that just adds fuel to the already intense playoff series.

No doubt Boston could get back on top after a playoff meeting, but lately it just hasn't been the same. Lucic is gone, Chara is on the decline, the team as a whole isn't a force to be reckoned with like it used to be... It was fun when we were constantly upsetting them as the underdog. Nowadays, it just isn't the same.

kalessin

Jun 11, 2007
I can't understand the hate vs. Pageau. Well, other than the fact he plays quite well against us. Then again, he played for the Olympiques, so that's probably why I cannot get myself to hate him.

Most punchable face on a team full of people whose faces need punching, probably.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Easily. After two hate-filled playoff series', they're huge rivals of ours. After Boston, they're our biggest rivals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad