OT: Ottawa 67s Attendance?

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Went to the 67s game tonight, and it was like a mausoleum at the Civic Centre. Barely 2000 in attendance.

It was my first 67s game on Bank Street in six years, and I guess the general question is...what happened? An early season Fri night game in my memory would mean at least 4500-5000 rowdy people - tonight there were pretty much entire sections empty.

Considering the Sens haven't even started their regular season yet, tonight's crowd can't bode well for the team in year two back on Bank Street.

Discuss.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Went to the 67s game tonight, and it was like a mausoleum at the Civic Centre. Barely 2000 in attendance.

It was my first 67s game on Bank Street in six years, and I guess the general question is...what happened? An early season Fri night game in my memory would mean at least 4500-5000 rowdy people - tonight there were pretty much entire sections empty.

Considering the Sens haven't even started their regular season yet, tonight's crowd can't bode well for the team in year two back on Bank Street.

Discuss.

They lost a lot of people when it moved to CTC and they have been not great for a couple years now. I think both play a role. It'll come back but with NASLand CFL people are probably not buying in until winter starts and other sports kids like too wind down.

When 67's were busy a lot of kids are there.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014

Discuss.

Attendance league wide has dropped by a ton there are teams avg around 1000 a game.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Part of the answer is in your name, OP.

This is the McDavid hangover year for the OHL. Not a lot of superstar skilled names out there for teams to dangle in advertisements this season.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa

Discuss.

Heh. So much for hockey mad Canada. Really sad to see imo. The CHL is like having the World Juniors every day at dirt cheap prices. It's a beautifully refurbished arena too.

In the case of Ottawa, having the sports dollar split between 4 franchises (5 if you count the Champions), and 3 of which are fully professional...it gets tough to justify that 67s ticket when for 5 bucks more you can go see the Fury or 10 bucks more go see the Redblacks. This wasn't the case 3 years ago and hasn't been the case since the early 2000s.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
Strictly subjective here but... has a lot to do with the OHL product in general seemingly on a downward spiral in recent years. World Junior championship aside of course. Sky rocketing ticket prices hasn't helped and a real lack of promotion by ownership has attributed to this. Plus some people in Ottawa will make up the most lamest excuses in order not to travel out to a game! :shakehead

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
As ugly as the old Lansdowne was, having a huge parking lot next to the Civic Centre was super convenient for people driving to the game. You paid $5 and parked your car right next to the arena, and it was pretty quick to get out after a game. We now park on a side street but the streets in the Glebe get pretty narrow after the snow falls so I'm not looking forward to things in the middle of the winter.

Giving free tickets to kids registered in minor hockey is a good move. With a bit of success on the ice they should be able to turn things around. They used to be great at group sales as well. They may have taken their eye off the ball a bit during the move and with the introduction of RedBlacks and Fury.

Changing the subject, I haven't seen that 67's Super Fan around recently, the guy that wears the hockey helmet and has pom pons and used to sit right above the tunnel to the dressing rooms in the Civic Centre. Is he still around? We were at the home opener but couldn't make it to Friday's game.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Strictly subjective here but... has a lot to do with the OHL product in general seemingly on a downward spiral in recent years. World Junior championship aside of course. Sky rocketing ticket prices hasn't helped and a real lack of promotion by ownership has attributed to this. Plus some people in Ottawa will make up the most lamest excuses in order not to travel out to a game! :shakehead

"Skyrocketing ticket prices"? You can sit on the glass for $22.

As ugly as the old Lansdowne was, having a huge parking lot next to the Civic Centre was super convenient for people driving to the game. You paid $5 and parked your car right next to the arena, and it was pretty quick to get out after a game. We now park on a side street but the streets in the Glebe get pretty narrow after the snow falls so I'm not looking forward to things in the middle of the winter.

A parking pass costs $8. There does seem to be a lot of confusion surounding event parking at Lansdowne, though. For all the shouting of "You can't park here!!" that OSEG did, I was surprised to see parking passes up for grabs on Capital Tickets.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I can tell you that my interest in the OHL has dropped in the last few years as Dave Branch essentially made it into a no-hit league. Sorry to go all Don Cherry, but the draconian suspensions and phantom calls now make the product range from boring to unwatchable.

It used to be that if you went to go see a junior hockey game, those kids were going HARD. You knew that there would be some hard hits, a scrap or two, and entertaining end to end hockey. Now they are afraid to lay a hit because any kind of a hard hit is now penalized, with the favourite call being a phantom head contact penalty. Last year Konecny got tagged with a Game Misconduct for a "slew foot" that replay later showed never actually happened. No matter - he got suspended anyway. I don't blame the on-ice officials - they're just petrified that if they don't make the call, Branch will suspend them too.

The OHL is a cautionary tale as to what the NHL could become if we aren't careful - a big giant PeeWee House League with everything except a "fair ice time" policy. Come to think of it, that might be coming soon...

Now, where's my flower print sports jacket? ;-)

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
I can tell you that my interest in the OHL has dropped in the last few years as Dave Branch essentially made it into a no-hit league. Sorry to go all Don Cherry, but the draconian suspensions and phantom calls now make the product range from boring to unwatchable.

It used to be that if you went to go see a junior hockey game, those kids were going HARD. You knew that there would be some hard hits, a scrap or two, and entertaining end to end hockey. Now they are afraid to lay a hit because any kind of a hard hit is now penalized, with the favourite call being a phantom head contact penalty. Last year Konecny got tagged with a Game Misconduct for a "slew foot" that replay later showed never actually happened. No matter - he got suspended anyway. I don't blame the on-ice officials - they're just petrified that if they don't make the call, Branch will suspend them too.

The OHL is a cautionary tale as to what the NHL could become if we aren't careful - a big giant PeeWee House League with everything except a "fair ice time" policy. Come to think of it, that might be coming soon...

Now, where's my flower print sports jacket? ;-)

I went to see the 67's at the home opener and there were plenty of hits. So no clue what you're talking about.

It's also sad to think people still think they're playing at the CTC haha. With all the talk about Lansdowne, anybody read the news anymore?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad