Ottawa 67's 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Interesting that Sudbury traded for one of Niagara's goaltenders this morning...I guess we'll have to wait and see on Donoso and Boyd's overall approach but sometimes I'm left scratching my head.

Vandenberg is a 19 year old so he wouldn’t take up an OA spot for them.

Reactions: frontsfan67

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Makes zero sense to take an OA goalie back. Better to take the draft picks and use the draft picks to snag a younger guy that is capable.
my point is that there are options Drobec is one and Kingston would be another if they are going to go for it this year but only if we ar not.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Mews’ decisions with the puck have been a lot better tonight.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Why are they playing Smyth on the f...pp again? If they're trying to showcase him, he's gonna be untradeable.

Reactions: OMG67

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
You can not be considered a cpntender if you are not able to ice a full lineup every game. This short bench and short team is proof tha they are not taking this as a year to be competitive but as a year to rebuld.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You can not be considered a cpntender if you are not able to ice a full lineup every game. This short bench and short team is proof tha they are not taking this as a year to be competitive but as a year to rebuld.

Most every team rosters 23 players. Each team gets only 30 cards. They can’t waste cards so sometimes if injuries happen, it is unfortunate.

The 67’s have 13 forwards and 8 D-Men rostered. That is pretty normal. They could bring up a couple young guys but if they do, they only have a certain number of games before their affiliate player cards revert to full player cards. There is no sense in doing that because it gives them less options through the deadline.

Remember last year they were contenders and played quite a few games with a short bench in late November/early December.

I don’t understand your logic on this one. Clearly they can ice a full lineup but it would come at the cost of eating player cards for temporary players. That makes zero sense.
- - - - - - - -
They aren’t playing with confidence right now. It has noting to do with lack of effort etc. You notice they are not skating with confidence, not passing with confidence and their passes are forced and delayed. Teams will go through these sorts of periods now and then.

They will get a good game, get their confidence back and they will be back to normal. Let’s just hope it is only this weekend and not something that extends through next weekend.

On a side note, Mews was the one who stood out the most tonight on the confident side. He made solid passes and moved the puck with confidence. he seemed to be the only one who did consistently.

Last edited:
Reactions: NordiquesForeva

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
They may have 21 rostered players but only 16 skaters were available last night. Uronen gone probably for the season, Sirman has not been available, Marrelli who is arguably their best defenseman has not been healthy lately, Dever and Hilton both injured. I believe the 67s need a full complment of players, solid defensive play, good goaltending and pinpoint passing to be successful. A little more size would not hurt either.​

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
Sirman will be back soon. As will Marrelli both maybe by next weekend. Dever 8/10 weeks (knee). Have not heard anything on Hilton

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Beast injuries happen every single year for every team. Just because a few people get injured doesn’t change the trajectory of a teams year lol

Reactions: OMG67 and Boris67

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Lineup issues aside, this team plays with little or no creativity. Their power play is predictable, as one would expect from the middle of the pack. They pissed away a 5-minute PP trying to set up that one-timer from the right faceoff circle.

The defence often seems confused about what to do with the puck. The Petes clearly know what we are going to do before we do it. That whole "stand behind the net and wait for everybody to change (and re-tape their stick)" has got to go. It gives the visiting team an extra home change in the first and third. Stretch passes don't work if everyone is standing still.

I agree that they lack confidence, not effort, but confidence.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Lineup issues aside, this team plays with little or no creativity. Their power play is predictable, as one would expect from the middle of the pack. They pissed away a 5-minute PP trying to set up that one-timer from the right faceoff circle.

The defence often seems confused about what to do with the puck. The Petes clearly know what we are going to do before we do it. That whole "stand behind the net and wait for everybody to change (and re-tape their stick)" has got to go. It gives the visiting team an extra home change in the first and third. Stretch passes don't work if everyone is standing still.

I agree that they lack confidence, not effort, but confidence.

I think it is that lack of confidence right now that is the driving force behind their anemic play. They don‘t have enough talent to push through that. We’ve seen instances int he past where the same sort of play poked its head into the team but there was enough overall talent to get through it. Right now? No. From a scoring perspective, we lack overall depth, especially down the middle. If you notice this year, we seem to win a lot of low scoring games. We manage to outlast a lot of opponents. That is not a recipe for success BUT it is a major foundation from which to build. Adding a few players that can help complete the offence would make a huge difference. The question is who those guys are and what do they cost?

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
67`s lead Peterboro 2-1 after 2 periods. Controversial call near end of 2nd Brady Stonehouse called for major penalty for check to the head and a game misconduct, Kenny Walls was going nuts on the call even after a review of the call they confirmed it but Walls said he never touched his head, i dont know i was just listening on radio.

GOAL
#28 Caden Kelly (2) scores. Assists: #11 Henry Mews, #27 Kaleb Lawrence
1st 9:24
+/-

GOAL
#29 Cooper Foster (12) scores. Assists: #20 Luca Pinelli, #22 Matthew Mayich GAME WINNING
2nd 16:28

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
67`s lead Peterboro 2-1 after 2 periods. Controversial call near end of 2nd Brady Stonehouse called for major penalty for check to the head and a game misconduct, Kenny Walls was going nuts on the call even after a review of the call they confirmed it but Walls said he never touched his head, i dont know i was just listening on radio.

GOAL
#28 Caden Kelly (2) scores. Assists: #11 Henry Mews, #27 Kaleb Lawrence
1st 9:24
+/-

GOAL
#29 Cooper Foster (12) scores. Assists: #20 Luca Pinelli, #22 Matthew Mayich GAME WINNING
2nd 16:28
In my personal view, Stonehouse absolutely hit Pagé’s head. i was 50/50 on the call however

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
In my personal view, Stonehouse absolutely hit Pagé’s head. i was 50/50 on the call however
Good call on Stonehouse, Ottawa looking tired. also I’ve said it before I think Hilton should spend the rest of the season in jr he can not keep up in this league & is a liability on the ice seems like we are playing a man short every time he’s on the ice

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I think it was more a case of having to call the 5 minute major so it could be reviewed. Then, the video isn‘t conclusive enough either way so the initial call stands.

Personally, I think the initial contact was high on the chest and the hit rode up to the head but at the OHL level, I don’t think that matters. I think the initial contact is irrelevant BUT usually if the initial contact is not the head, they call it 2 minutes (which I think that one should have been).

Good call on Stonehouse, Ottawa looking tired. also I’ve said it before I think Hilton should spend the rest of the season in jr he can not keep up in this league & is a liability on the ice seems like we are playing a man short every time he’s on the ice

In a perfect World, we have the full complement of forwards so he is a healthy scratch. I think the advantage of him being with the 67’s is practising at the higher tempo. The injuries have really hampered the 67’s ability to develop players. They’ve been handcuffed.

Reactions: Section5Petes

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Walls is a massive homer.

Pretty astonishing that even without Othmann, Avon, Robertson, Hayes, Beck, Lockhart, Stillman, Purdeller, White, Spearing, Zanetti and Simpson from the team that eliminated Ottawa last year it still takes getting goalie'd for the Petes to lose to the 67s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad