Ottawa 67's 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
The Petes are going to be smart. They are going to stay with what they have and see where they are at the deadline. Then I think depending on offers they will sell. Much like Hamilton did last year.

As to the game EH! tis junior hockey. I think that Boyd nd cameron are doing some experimenting to see what they can do about the hole at center. I agree that Pineli may not be the best suited but then again let's give hm some time to see.

also we need to look at the other teams and see if there is a viable OA center avail.

As to defence again let's see what we have and let them play. Yes some of these guys played on this team last year but there is no returning line.

With a lot of players away at NHL camps there is going to be a time period to get used to each other.

We cheered these same guys and praised them to the heavens last year. Let's not start jumping off the wagon after 1 game.
You are right about the route the Petes will likely take. I think they will go with Connor Lockhart, Jax Dubois and Sam Mayer as their three overages to the deadline. See were they are in the standings, look at the offers made and decide accordingly. I am certain they will trade Owen Beck (who was returned to the Petes today) for a good 17 year old player and multiple draft picks. They may also trade Konnor Smith for a 17 or 18 year old defenceman and draft picks. They may only trade Beck and Smith and keep their overages with the return for those two players likely have allowed them
to add to two younger players and restock most of their draft pick cupboard.

Reactions: Section5Petes

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
You are right about the route the Petes will likely take. I think they will go with Connor Lockhart, Jax Dubois and Sam Mayer as their three overages to the deadline. See were they are in the standings, look at the offers made and decide accordingly. I am certain they will trade Owen Beck (who was returned to the Petes today) for a good 17 year old player and multiple draft picks. They may also trade Konnor Smith for a 17 or 18 year old defenceman and draft picks. They may only trade Beck and Smith and keep their overages with the return for those two players likely have allowed them
to add to two younger players and restock most of their draft pick cupboard.
Very Ottawa-centric group of overagers, don't you think? Mayer is a far better choice over Gauvreau, but sometimes it comes down to what a team can get.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Depending on price, Lawrence may be what is needed but again it depends on the price and who else is avail.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I think Ottawa and Owen Sound make a lot of sense. I think the preference would be for Owen Sound to deal with an eastern conference team to clear their OA situation. The general consensus in Owen Sound is Sam Sedley and Ethan Burroughs are locks. Kaleb Lawrence and Deni Goure are the two names it comes down to.
i would bet lawrennce would only cost an 8th or 9th, no different then savard, there just isnt a market for 03s right now.

Reactions: Noofgoof

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
i would bet lawrennce would only cost an 8th or 9th, no different then savard, there just isnt a market for 03s right now.
I think if the OA market was better they may have been willing to move Goure. They don't have a whole lot of assets to acquire upgrades. I think if they could have brought in some ammo to use on improving the blueline they would have explored it. Seems they will have to settle for whatever they can get for Lawrence. Just my opinion but the Attack blueline needs a piece to be contender worthy.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I think if the OA market was better they may have been willing to move Goure. They don't have a whole lot of assets to acquire upgrades. I think if they could have brought in some ammo to use on improving the blueline they would have explored it. Seems they will have to settle for whatever they can get for Lawrence. Just my opinion but the Attack blueline needs a piece to be contender worthy.
i saw saginaw the other day, i would be surprised if the saginaw defence is better then the attack defence.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
This is one of the reasons you will not see the Petes trade Connor Lockhart, Jax Dubois or Sam Mayer at this point in the season. The only way any of them would be traded at this point if Peterborough got a return like they got for Michael Simpson.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
i saw saginaw the other day, i would be surprised if the saginaw defence is better then the attack defence.
That may be but Saginaw has a much deeper war chest to bring in upgrades and I'm sure they will be aggressive in doing so. I don't think Owen Sound can afford to be players in the big fish market and will likely have to work in the margins. The 07 forward group has surprised/impressed early on and maybe that makes someone else expendable that lessens the draft pick cost. All three of Addy, Crawford and Nansi played Saturday while Brennan sat out. Brennan isn't a needle mover but not nothing either. I don't think the D-core is something that will be addressed until later in the year so might as well be patient and see what you've go in house with Steen, Rogers, Smith and Ethier for the time being. It would be nice if it sorts itself out but that seems unlikely at this stage.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
That may be but Saginaw has a much deeper war chest to bring in upgrades and I'm sure they will be aggressive in doing so. I don't think Owen Sound can afford to be players in the big fish market and will likely have to work in the margins. The 07 forward group has surprised/impressed early on and maybe that makes someone else expendable that lessens the draft pick cost. All three of Addy, Crawford and Nansi played Saturday while Brennan sat out. Brennan isn't a needle mover but not nothing either. I don't think the D-core is something that will be addressed until later in the year so might as well be patient and see what you've go in house with Steen, Rogers, Smith and Ethier for the time being. It would be nice if it sorts itself out but that seems unlikely at this stage.
they may only need 1 defenceman, which probably would cost addy depending on how good the d is.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
This is one of the reasons you will not see the Petes trade Connor Lockhart, Jax Dubois or Sam Mayer at this point in the season. The only way any of them would be traded at this point if Peterborough got a return like they got for Michael Simpson.
I think Mayer or Punnett would move fast for a bit more than Beck.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
I think Mayer or Punnett would move fast for a bit more than Beck.
The question becomes what is lost by holding them until the deadline. I doubt a 2nd and 3rd becomes a 3rd and 4th or 2-3rds in December.

Many of these players will mentor the next generation on the teams they are playing for, or at the very least help win a few hockey games until the deadline.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The question becomes what is lost by holding them until the deadline. I doubt a 2nd and 3rd becomes a 3rd and 4th or 2-3rds in December.

Many of these players will mentor the next generation on the teams they are playing for, or at the very least help win a few hockey games until the deadline.
I doubt any trade value will be lost as I think they are clearly the two best at their position; unless, a couple teams cannot wait and add as the wolves did with DeAngelis.
What the Petes do lose is the opportunity to play a decent OA D while having picks in hand for when the ‘06s are made available by wannabe contenders collecting picks ahead of the trade deadline.
Remember Guelph moving 17 yr olds picked 1st, 2nd, 3-3rds prior to loading up at the deadline? Guelph with the same GM should be contending this season. North Bay has 8-2006 born, Barrie …

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
LOL What a laff alost a whole page on other teams LOL

There could be a trade between Ottawa and OS that could include a center for a D. or simply a couple of low picks.

As to players that are good, I think teams will hold until the deadline and they see where they are.

The East is going to be an interesting year because i do not think there is a clear-cut leader. Everyone is sort of retooling.

Petes will be happy to stay mid-pack, make a few deadline deals for picks, and go into the playoffs.

Ottawa Kingston Bancroft will probably be the same.

Depending on what happens, I can see Mayich and Donoso gone at the deadline. both possibly to Saginaw.

The only need this team has at this stage is a center that can win faceoffs and let Pinelli get back to being a winger

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
I doubt any trade value will be lost as I think they are clearly the two best at their position; unless, a couple teams cannot wait and add as the wolves did with DeAngelis.
What the Petes do lose is the opportunity to play a decent OA D while having picks in hand for when the ‘06s are made available by wannabe contenders collecting picks ahead of the trade deadline.
Remember Guelph moving 17 yr olds picked 1st, 2nd, 3-3rds prior to loading up at the deadline? Guelph with the same GM should be contending this season. North Bay has 8-2006 born, Barrie …
Ty Nelson in NB is thought to be available at some point this year as well but I agree there are top 5. I don't think they are guys Ottawa is willing to pay the ask for this year regardless. What Ottawa needs to consider is cycling off players who don't fit into their go for it seasons in an effort to be better in the years they are.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I hope Ottawa can manage to make a deal with Owen Sound or North Bay, Kaleb Laurence or Pasqale Zito. This would stabilize the center position and hopefully provide leadership to the younger players.

The defence I think can be a work in progress. Try a couple of months with what we have and keep a close eye on any capable defenseman that may become available at a reasonable cost.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Lawrence to Ottawa just felt inevitable and for an 8th round pick brings great value for Ottawa. Hopefully he breaks out in Ottawa and can earn a pro deal. From everything I've heard, he was well liked in Owen Sound.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Lawrence to Ottawa just felt inevitable and for an 8th round pick brings great value for Ottawa. Hopefully he breaks out in Ottawa and can earn a pro deal. From everything I've heard, he was well liked in Owen Sound.
To get a 2nd and 3rd for 5’11, 162 pound Jack Beck and acquire a 6’6, 221 pound Kaleb Lawrence shows why the 67’s have the best management in the league. This team desperately needed some more size and jam and now they get it.

As I mentioned a week ago, the fact that Lawrence is a local player AND checks off the size and skill boxes made him the perfect low-cost acquisition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad