Ottawa 67's 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
about the conference being so weak this year, the ‘67s did well vs the west; NB was 3-1 vs SSM, and will at least split with London & Saginaw; Sudbury should be >0.500 with OTL points.
These teams all added more than London, and at least as much as SSM more imo

I think the lack of impressive talent spans the entire league. Sure, London and Saginaw look pretty good and have a lot of NHL draft picks but that hasn’t translated against the three teams you mentioned. I do think it will make a difference come playoff time though. But I don’t think it will ba a cakewalk final. I think ti will be closer to the Windsor/Hamilton Final.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The Windsor-Hamilton series was close, but significant injuries for Hamilton played a part imo.
The 2003-04 classes missed a year so there might be less of an experience gap than normal. I think the top of the ‘05 class at least is impressive. The ‘06 class is very impressive imo.
I’m not sure there is a team with more talent than Sudbury though it’s close between them and Saginaw. I like the make-up of London and NB; and, their playoff experience should be a factor.
The 2nd round should be good in both conferences

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The Windsor-Hamilton series was close, but significant injuries for Hamilton played a part imo.
The 2003-04 classes missed a year so there might be less of an experience gap than normal. I think the top of the ‘05 class at least is impressive. The ‘06 class is very impressive imo.
I’m not sure there is a team with more talent than Sudbury though it’s close between them and Saginaw. I like the make-up of London and NB; and, their playoff experience should be a factor.

I’m not a fan of Sudbury goal suppression and in the playoffs, that will matter when they play the better teams in a long series. Even though North Bay is not as talented, I think NB has the edge. I am not certain how the East division teams will fare. Normally I would suggest Ottawa’s speed is less consequential with the bigger teams because the bigger teams on the top end are also strong skating teams. This year may be the year where a skilled speedy team that lacks size has some success.

Although there isn’t a huge gap in the standings, I feel London is a step above Saginaw/. They play better as a team. Saginaw doesn’t seem as mature of a team. London is more polished and prepared.

I still lean toward a London v North Bay Final, but I am not all that confident in anything at this point.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I'm assuming you are not aware of the Windsor injuries during that series? I think those 2 teams were very evenly matched, including the list of injuries. Carry on.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I’m not a fan of Sudbury goal suppression and in the playoffs, that will matter when they play the better teams in a long series. Even though North Bay is not as talented, I think NB has the edge. I am not certain how the East division teams will fare. Normally I would suggest Ottawa’s speed is less consequential with the bigger teams because the bigger teams on the top end are also strong skating teams. This year may be the year where a skilled speedy team that lacks size has some success.

Although there isn’t a huge gap in the standings, I feel London is a step above Saginaw/. They play better as a team. Saginaw doesn’t seem as mature of a team. London is more polished and prepared.

I still lean toward a London v North Bay Final, but I am not all that confident in anything at this point.
I don’t care to guess either. I don’t think any of Brantford, NB, Ottawa, and Sudbury have peaked.
The wolves are the only team with 3 scoring lines imo. I think the fact that London and NB don’t thin out the top six to have a more balanced attack bodes well for them in a series vs the wolves. The issue for NB may end up being 4-‘06 in the bottom six; but overall, I still believe NB has a better roster than last season.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I'm assuming you are not aware of the Windsor injuries during that series? I think those 2 teams were very evenly matched, including the list of injuries. Carry on.
You would be right in that I don’t recall Windsor having injuries to as many significant players. Winterton could barely play at the end. Krammerer and Staois could not dress for some games.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
You would be right in that I don’t recall Windsor having injuries to as many significant players. Winterton could barely play at the end. Krammerer and Staois could not dress.
1 player with a fractured wrist. 1 player with a back so bad he could not play at the world Juniors in August. I believe their were 9 players with listed injuries. Difference was Windsor didn't put out there the same as Hamilton did. Anyway don't really want to hijack this thread over old news. Be safe.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The next week is going to tell the story. We make up the 2 games, and Brantford plays Saginaw, the only real challenge.

As to size, it is a matter of whether you can translate the size into hits in the corners or on the ice.

Miss may be younger, but they have to have 2 top goalies that can keep them in games.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The next week is going to tell the story. We make up the 2 games, and Brantford plays Saginaw, the only real challenge.

As to size, it is a matter of whether you can translate the size into hits in the corners or on the ice.

Miss may be younger, but they have to have 2 top goalies that can keep them in games.
The reality is, every week is important. This weekend is important but if Ottawa wins all three games and Brantford wins 1 of 2, the following week is just as important. It is not like Ottawa can then go into the following week and lose 3 of 4. So, this weekend will only tell the story if Brantford wins both games and Ottawa loses 2 of 3 games. Not a likely outcome but possible.

Every week is important until such time as one team has mathematically eliminated the other Or at least made it highly improbable of a change.

Ottawa has a lot of fluff games so it should be interesting regardless of the sheer number of games over the period. Their destiny is in their own hands and if they do not win the division, they only have themselves to blame. Things are lined up relatively well. If you were to tell me that we were 8 points back of Brantford with two games in hand with two games head to head and 13 games left in the schedule with 8 of those games against teams below .500 at the beginning of the year I would have called you delusional. We have exciting hockey with meaningful games, even against teams like Niagara.

And, can you please not highlight the games against Missy and Oshawa? Both Brantford and Ottawa play twice against Missy and once against Oshawa so if Missy and Oshawa are tough games, they are tough games for both teams equally.

If we eliminate the identical matchups from each of the two schedules, we are left with this difference:

Brantford:
Saginaw
North Bay
Kingston

Ottawa
Erie
Barrie x2
Peterborough
Niagara

Brantford has three different opponents and Ottawa has five different opponents. I would rather play the five opponents Ottawa has as opposed to the three Brantford has.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
My prediction for the final standings

Brantford
Sudbury
North Bay
Ottawa
Mississauga
Oshawa
Kingston
Barrie

Round 1 winners

Brantford
Sudbury
North bay
Mississauga ( goaltending and size)

I don't see anyone passing Brantford or Sudbury
North Bay has a really easy shed
Ottawa has an easier schedule than Miss or Oshawa

Ottawa miss

Pinellli Kressler vs Martone and Misa
Maillet and Stone house vs Mcdonnel Loukas

Leenders vs Mack

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That lost 2020-21 season, and the weird 2021-22 season, would have really impacted the players currently competing in the OHL at ages 19 and 20. That may have at least something do to with the quality of play, lack of a truly standout team, etc.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
That lost 2020-21 season, and the weird 2021-22 season, would have really impacted the players currently competing in the OHL at ages 19 and 20. That may have at least something do to with the quality of play, lack of a truly standout team, etc.
I agree. Many of the OAs, ‘04 & top of the ‘05 class all have the same amount of OHL experience. The ‘67s leaders in games played are; OA Mayer (never missed a scheduled OHL game?), ‘04 Stonehouse, and ‘05 Pinelli.
That does not mean there is a lack of talent. In a few years, the OHL will probably have graduated the normal percentage of players to the high level pro ranks among CHL leagues.

Fawlty

Dec 16, 2023
I'll be interested to see how the 67's fare against Niagara on Thursday as they have had a tendency sometimes to play down to the level of teams beneath them on the ladder and who they should easily beat really.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I think where it makes the most difference was the inability to make deadline trades in the cancelled season. Teams didn’t have an opportunity to reacquire picks/players after the deadline moves for the cancelled 2020 playoffs. Ottawa would have likely made a few seller moves to acquire picks during the 21-22 deadline. They weren’t likely to be as competitive that season. It led to the poor season coming out of the Covid cancelled season. Not having the ability to manage the roster really handcuffed the 67’s. Many other teams too.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I agree. Many of the OAs, ‘04 & top of the ‘05 class all have the same amount of OHL experience. The ‘67s leaders in games played are OA Mayer (never missed a scheduled OHL game?), ‘04 Stonehouse, and ‘05 Pinelli.
That means there is more talent. In a few years, the OHL will probably have graduated the normal percentage of players to the high-level pro ranks among CHL leagues.
Something that is missed with Mayer is that he was not an OHL draftee in the real sense he was drafted in the 18-year-old draft. So he has had only 3 years of OHL experience. This also outlines why no NHL team has drafted him.

I doubt COVID had anything to do with it.

My question that I keep asking is when do we stop blaming covid. remember most of these guys were still playing hockey

Every team in the OHL has had to deal with Covid, so it really is a non-starter.
Most players found places to play pick up, if nothing else. Remember, a lot of the teams had players getting ready to come back in shape when the ban was lifted.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I think where it makes the most difference was the inability to make deadline trades in the cancelled season. Teams didn’t have an opportunity to reacquire picks/players after the deadline moves for the cancelled 2020 playoffs. Ottawa would have likely made a few seller moves to acquire picks during the 21-22 deadline. They weren’t likely to be as competitive that season. It led to the poor season coming out of the Covid cancelled season. Not having the ability to manage the roster really handcuffed the 67’s. Many other teams too.
20/21 line up

Quinn Rossi Clarke
Beck Hoesschler(OA) Sirizotti
Yule(OA) Tolnai Varga
Robinson Moldenhauer Stonehouse
Gerrior Crete gaidamak Boucher

Belanger Matier
Rippon(OA) Gil Shane
Sawyer Constantini
Mayich Sirman

Andree
Cranley
Donoso
MacK

LOL I am not sure that is a team that is selling I think it is more likely that they would be buying probably a defenceman

The challenge was at the 2021 draft we did not draft any defenceman until Ewles in round 5. There were not a lot of good defencemen in the draft that year and we were not that well fixed for D

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Something that is missed with Mayer is that he was not an OHL draftee in the real sense he was drafted in the 18-year-old draft. So he has had only 3 years of OHL experience. This also outlines why no NHL team has drafted him.

I doubt COVID had anything to do with it.

My question that I keep asking is when do we stop blaming covid. remember most of these guys were still playing hockey

Every team in the OHL has had to deal with Covid, so it really is a non-starter.
Most players found places to play pick up, if nothing else. Remember, a lot of the teams had players getting ready to come back in shape when the ban was lifted.
I agree with the post that suggested the time missed during COVID could be a reason for less than usual separation between teams. It was the 2003-04 born most affected, and it shows with no real OHL experience gap between many of the OAs, ‘04s, and top of the ‘05 class as they all entered the league at the same time.
Upon the return from the league shut-down, the 2001-02 born had 2-3 years of OHL experience; whereas, many of the 2003 and all but one 2004-05 had none. That year there were huge gaps in experience as the majority of teams were 55-65% first year players.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
20/21 line up

Quinn Rossi Clarke
Beck Hoesschler(OA) Sirizotti
Yule(OA) Tolnai Varga
Robinson Moldenhauer Stonehouse
Gerrior Crete gaidamak Boucher

Belanger Matier
Rippon(OA) Gil Shane
Sawyer Constantini
Mayich Sirman

Andree
Cranley
Donoso
MacK

LOL I am not sure that is a team that is selling I think it is more likely that they would be buying probably a defenceman

The challenge was at the 2021 draft we did not draft any defenceman until Ewles in round 5. There were not a lot of good defencemen in the draft that year and we were not that well fixed for D

Rossi wasn’t returning for his 19 year old season. No one expected him to.

You are also looking at kids as they are now as opposed to what they were back then. Beck, Sirizzotti, Sawyer, GillShane, Matier, TJ, and crete would have been second year 17 year olds. Stonehouse, Sirman, Mayich, Gerrior and Moldenhauer (if he reported) would have all been green 16 year old rookies.

If you remember, Tolnai was also still in his long initial stage of development. He wasn’t looking great as a 17 year old. Robinson never turned out to be anything mostly because of injury, and Varga was a depth winger at best. That left us with Hoelscher (OA) if he returned, Quinn and Clarke.

It was the back end that was going to be the big challenge. We would have graduated Hoefenmayer, Bahl, and Okhotyuk. Our defence would have consisted of Rippon (OA), Belanger and four second year players plus the two rookies (Mayich and Sirman).

Goaltending would have been fine with Andree as a returning OA in net.

That defence would have done less than nothing. Remember, Belanger played up front on the 4th line wing back then. There was no one to move the puck around especially on the Powerplay.

We’d have had a pretty good first line (Quinn-Hoelscher-Clarke). I think the second line would have been considered a pretty good 17/18 year old 3rd line (Beck-Tolnai-Sirizzotti). But that was the second problem. They didn’t have a 2nd line at all. Tolnai hadn’t lived up to expectations back then. Yule was gone (traded to Flint) but Robinson was often injured and never lived up to expectations at all. He was a wasted trade for sure. We are unsure whether Moldenhauer was going to report in light of his defected status the following year. And a bunch of rookies.

So, it reality, the 20-21 team would have been a team with a really solid first line and starting goaltender. After that, it was very young. That recipe is perfect for a seller team. A couple really good sell assets to help bolster a young and emerging roster. I mean, look at their performance in 21-22. We essentially lost that first line to graduation, Andree and Rippon during the Covid season and we returned with that core I just highlighted and we finished low in the standings. Expecting essentially that 21-22 team to be the support depth for a competitive 20-21 team is preposterous.

They may very well have not sold that Covid season but they wouldn’t have contended. That was a middle pack team at best.

Imagine the ammunition we’d have had if we were able to sell Quinn and Clarke? I think most expected those two would have been moved the following deadline.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
3-0

GOAL
#11 Henry Mews (11) scores. Assists: #29 Cooper Foster, #27 Jacob Maillet
2nd 5:24

4-0

GOAL
#12 Braeden Kressler (24) scores. Assists: #20 Luca Pinelli, #23 Will Gerrior
2nd 6:04

5-0

GOAL
#29 Cooper Foster (15) scores. Assists: #5 Bradley Horner, #27 Jacob Maillet
2nd 9:01

If you are looking at Flashscore or OHL site it is not 6-0 it is 5-0 The Pinelli goal did not count it hit the x-bar did not go in but the ref said it was in but disallowed on review. They have now corrected it now

5-1

Last edited:

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
67's win 8-2

SHOTS ON GOAL
Teams1st2nd3rdTotal
OTT9131335
NIAG810826

STARS OF THE GAME​

Foster

FIRST