Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Interesting game today. Ottawa was playing a weaker opponent, but came out with more vigor than the last 2 games. Boucher was very active and visible. His response to the head shot on Stonehouse was what I would expect from a team leader. The thing that concerns me is the team's propensity to spend entire power plays passing the puck around the horn and D to D. Sooner or later, that thing has to go on net. Mews showed that today.

Reactions: sirius67fan

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
With any luck they review the Boucher fight. The officials called it a Fighting Major with an Agressor Game Misconduct meaning the other player was not a fighting participant and was involved against his will. this penalty comes with a minimum 2 game suspension for the game Misconduct.

Look like OMG's prediction of Mews playing forward was realized... At least for today :)
Hey, they could have moved Sirman up as well.

Yes but not for the reason I was arguing. I was suggesting that as a means to keep more defencemen without trading two of them. They ended up trading two of them so no need for Mews to play forward….until they didn’t have enough forwards of course!

Reactions: OHLoutsider2020

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Agree with ecraigs much better compete today. Energy seemed better. Was still overall a sloppy game but nice to get back in the win column. Pinelli and Gerrior in particular are just relentless on the forecheck.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
With any luck they review the Boucher fight. The officials called it a Fighting Major with an Agressor Game Misconduct meaning the other player was not a fighting participant and was involved against his will. this penalty comes with a minimum 2 game suspension for the game Misconduct.

Yes but not for the reason I was arguing. I was suggesting that as a means to keep more defencemen without trading two of them. They ended up trading two of them so no need for Mews to play forward….until they didn’t have enough forwards of course!
As soon as I saw it at the game I thought Boucher might be in trouble. As much as I liked him to stand up for a teamate he's gotta learn to pick his spots. We need him on the ice. Hope he doesn't get supplementary discipline.

NoQuit67s

Feb 10, 2020
As soon as I saw it at the game I thought Boucher might be in trouble. As much as I liked him to stand up for a teamate he's gotta learn to pick his spots. We need him on the ice. Hope he doesn't get supplementary discipline.

I was ok with it.
Let's face it we have a small bunch of forwards we have, they need to stick up for themselves.

There were two fights in the game already, and frankly both were older bigger Sudbury players initiating:

Barlas, Chris
CL5.091832005-01-10

versus

Collins, NolanDR6.042102004-04-28

Really! Collins needed to challenge Barlas for taking him down with a clean hit? C'mon man!

And then Ethan Larmand went at it with Gardiner for no apparent reason.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Ottawa clearly frustrated Sudbury, the sequence with Barlas was actually quite comical, he makes the hit and Collins responds, and then Collins is just a fish on the line for Barlas, he goads him into it, and clearly drops the gloves first and yet somehow Collins gets the instigator. After that it's an implosion with Collins getting the misconducts and ejected and then Mews scores seconds after, McCallum gets ejected, Mews scores again and it's all over. The Gardiner fight was just the final Sudbury veteran losing his cool.
Boucher will get his 2 games, it's a classic aggressor, instigated the fight and then continues throwing punches at a player while he is lying on the ice. Don't want to see Boucher out of the lineup but Boudreau took 2 runs at Stonehouse that shift, in a 4-1 hockey game, you stick up for the teammate and deal with the consequences.
Next 4 games are against better competition, have to really like the guy who put together the schedule, Ottawa will catch Flint and Ptbo in the second game of back-to-backs, while they only play 2 games this weekend with a day off in between. Should be two good games as long as they are close to full health.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa clearly frustrated Sudbury, the sequence with Barlas was actually quite comical, he makes the hit and Collins responds, and then Collins is just a fish on the line for Barlas, he goads him into it, and clearly drops the gloves first and yet somehow Collins gets the instigator. After that it's an implosion with Collins getting the misconducts and ejected and then Mews scores seconds after, McCallum gets ejected, Mews scores again and it's all over. The Gardiner fight was just the final Sudbury veteran losing his cool.
Boucher will get his 2 games, it's a classic aggressor, instigated the fight and then continues throwing punches at a player while he is lying on the ice. Don't want to see Boucher out of the lineup but Boudreau took 2 runs at Stonehouse that shift, in a 4-1 hockey game, you stick up for the teammate and deal with the consequences.
Next 4 games are against better competition, have to really like the guy who put together the schedule, Ottawa will catch Flint and Ptbo in the second game of back-to-backs, while they only play 2 games this weekend with a day off in between. Should be two good games as long as they are close to full health.

There were some funny plays for sure. Collins was not the instigator. I think he initiated it because of the hit but Barlas was a more than willing participant and it was far from the classic instigator.

The hit on Stonehouse was a clear head check. I don’t think it was an intentional head check and I don’t think it was vicious but a head check nonetheless. I was surprised It was deemed a Major. But, the issue I have with that play is the non-Fighting Major. Usually you see a player turtle with his gloves still on. My recollection of that was he dropped his gloves, got outmatched quickly and went to the ice. To me, that still deserves a fighting major. We’ve seen plays where a player got a fighting major without even dropping their gloves. So, in my mind, the aggressor misconduct should not have been called. However, with Boucher still hitting him when he was down, it probably means five games similar to what happened with Laforme. Either way Boucher gets suspended but hopefully it is just two games.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
As for Boucher, I thought it was a fight and should have been matching majors for the two combatants. My experience is that a fight is only a fight if the official thinks that it is one. Shoulda, woulda, coulda. The League has clamped down on mouthguard offenders, so the teeth of the world are safe now.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
There were some funny plays for sure. Collins was not the instigator. I think he initiated it because of the hit but Barlas was a more than willing participant and it was far from the classic instigator.

The hit on Stonehouse was a clear head check. I don’t think it was an intentional head check and I don’t think it was vicious but a head check nonetheless. I was surprised It was deemed a Major. But, the issue I have with that play is the non-Fighting Major. Usually you see a player turtle with his gloves still on. My recollection of that was he dropped his gloves, got outmatched quickly and went to the ice. To me, that still deserves a fighting major. We’ve seen plays where a player got a fighting major without even dropping their gloves. So, in my mind, the aggressor misconduct should not have been called. However, with Boucher still hitting him when he was down, it probably means five games similar to what happened with Laforme. Either way Boucher gets suspended but hopefully it is just two games.
TBO I thought Stonehouse exaggerated the contact on his end of things... it wasn't nearly as severe as it was made to look.

The aggressor penalty is assigned for the extra punches while Boudreau is on the ice turtling - taken from the rulebook: "The aggressor in an altercation shall be the player who continues to throw punches in an attempt to inflict punishment on his opponent who is in a defenseless position... A player must be deemed the aggressor when he has clearly won the fight but he continues throwing and landing punches in a further attempt to inflict punishment and/or injury on his opponent who is no longer in a position to defend himself."

Boudreau was ejected for the head check penalty, anything beyond that was just adding to his penalty minutes and redundant, it was clearly a fight. Boucher's list of penalties was on the light side also, it should have been 2 min inst. 5mn fighting, 10 min misconduct (inst.) and game misconduct (aggressor). None the less, I'd be surprised if Boucher didn't get the 2 games, it wasn't to the severity of LaForme's IMO and it was provoked so five would be reaching, although Boucher and the Team would now be considered a repeat offender so who knows exactly how the league will look at it.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Two questions for people smarter than I am
1 -why does Marelli wear a full cage but Mews and Kelly also 16 y.o. do not. Is it because he's an affiliate player, not on an A card?

2- I looked at the 67's/Wolves game summary on the OHL website when I got home. Was surprised to see Steven Laforme in the lineup although ( unless i missed it) he didn't play in the game. However beside his name on the game summary there is a RES designation. Anybody know what that means? Just curious as he would have finished serving his rumored 5 games suspension ( although it was never listed on the ohl website)

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Well it's no longer speculation and the eye test proved right. In the article on the sudbury game on the 67's website they say " most of the team" came down with the flu during the roadtrip.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Two questions for people smarter than I am
1 -why does Marelli wear a full cage but Mews and Kelly also 16 y.o. do not. Is it because he's an affiliate player, not on an A card?

2- I looked at the 67's/Wolves game summary on the OHL website when I got home. Was surprised to see Steven Laforme in the lineup although ( unless i missed it) he didn't play in the game. However beside his name on the game summary there is a RES designation. Anybody know what that means? Just curious as he would have finished serving his rumored 5 games suspension ( although it was never listed on the ohl website)
Marelli is 16 on a Jr. A card and must wear a cage.
Teams are allowed to dress one extra skater (Reserve) for warm-up. The extra skater must be identified ahead of taking the ice. Knowing the team is dealing with the flu, there could have been a number of game time decisions.
There is something different going on with LaForme, not sure if they are using a temp card or what the deal is. I know teams can use players (like an emergency goalie) to deal with illness, injury and U17/WJC absences. Most players in his position would demand to play, be traded or released so their agent can find them a place to play. He seems complacent to just sit out???

Reactions: sirius67fan

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Teams are allowed to dress one extra skater (Reserve) for warm-up. The extra skater must be identified ahead of taking the ice. Knowing the team is dealing with the flu, there could have been a number of game time decisions.
There is something different going on with LaForme, not sure if they are using a temp card or what the deal is. I know teams can use players (like an emergency goalie) to deal with illness, injury and U17/WJC absences. Most players in his position would demand to play, be traded or released so their agent can find them a place to play. He seems complacent to just sit out???
Thanks for the info and do agree something odd is going on with Laforme.

Last edited:

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Remarkable that they all got better 12 hours later to beat Sudbury!

Sudbury might've been sick though so perhaps that game doesn't count..
I think they actually started to come around in the Petes game. Even though the Petes were the better team their compete was better. Against Sudbury they looked much faster and back to their usual forecheck but the wolves are not the best team so who knows. To me the two games they seemed way off were the Erie and NB games where they were listless. Anyway hopefully they are over the worse as can't keep using that excuse forever😉

OHLoutsider2020

Aug 30, 2019
Could be his one goal in 52 games ?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Because Laforme is a returning player, I don’t believe there are alternate options for his carding. He has a standard player agreement and cannot be assigned an affiliate card. I don’t believe they have any other designations available. When they dressed him for his first game, it is my understanding that he now occupies a roster card.

Marrelli is on an affiliate card. He can dress for a certain number of games under certain circumstances. I can’t remember the number of games and how that number changes based on the circumstances but it is usually during the tournament play over Christmas and during injury replacement situations. They can also remain an affiliate player once their affiliate team season has been completed.

But, once a player gets their player card as a roster player and their standard player contract kicks in, they are a roster player unless released. So, Laforme shouldn’t have any restrictions related to him.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Remarkable that they all got better 12 hours later to beat Sudbury!

Sudbury might've been sick though so perhaps that game doesn't count..
I don’t know why it is so difficult for you to understand that sometimes there are mitigating circumstances surrounding team performance and illness can be one of them.

I simply pointed this out and you went all conspiracy theory ape shit crazy and seemed offended. I don’t know why.

Injuries are another mitigating circumstance.

Sometimes both teams are sick and it isn’t as noticeable.

I pointed out that Ottawa had zero scoring opportunities and it was likely they were sick and-or recovering and they did not play anywhere near their typical level. Information has now surfaced confirming that. Simple. Bad luck on Ottawas part and good luck for North Bay.

Get over it. Move on.

Hopefully the Generals can find the same level of effort they managed to find just once so far this season and apply it maybe once or twice more before the end of the season.

Reactions: NoQuit67s

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Because Laforme is a returning player, I don’t believe there are alternate options for his carding. He has a standard player agreement and cannot be assigned an affiliate card. I don’t believe they have any other designations available. When they dressed him for his first game, it is my understanding that he now occupies a roster card.

Marrelli is on an affiliate card. He can dress for a certain number of games under certain circumstances. I can’t remember the number of games and how that number changes based on the circumstances but it is usually during the tournament play over Christmas and during injury replacement situations. They can also remain an affiliate player once their affiliate team season has been completed.

But, once a player gets their player card as a roster player and their standard player contract kicks in, they are a roster player unless released. So, Laforme shouldn’t have any restrictions related to him.
What's also odd with Laforme is that despite him being listed as a reserve, they only dressed 17 skaters. If he was available why not dress him??

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
No offense at all to Laforme, who seems like a good kid...but I'd just as soon not see him suit up for the 67s again this season. His poor skating really stands out at this level of competition and on a team of this calibre. If we're short-handed, I'd prefer Cameron dress 11 forwards + 7 D and rotate Tolnai and Vinz through whoever the 4th line wingers are (some combination of Kelly, Dever, Quick, and Foster I'd presume if/when Beck is back)

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
No offense at all to Laforme, who seems like a good kid...but I'd just as soon not see him suit up for the 67s again this season. His poor skating really stands out at this level of competition and on a team of this calibre. If we're short-handed, I'd prefer Cameron dress 11 forwards + 7 D and rotate Tolnai and Vinz through whoever the 4th line wingers are (some combination of Kelly, Dever, Quick, and Foster I'd presume if/when Beck is back)
Yeah I do agree with you, he doesn't fit the makeup of the team. Was a bit puzzled when he came back.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yeah I do agree with you, he doesn't fit the makeup of the team. Was a bit puzzled when he came back.

Yeah but if they can include him in a deal then good for Ottawa and good for the player. I think it is fair to give him some time so he can generate a little interest. If no interest then so be it. He can be waived.

But, right now we are a little short of centre depth. It is better we have Laforme on the 4th centre than sliding Foster down there. I’d rather keep Foster on the wing of a higher line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad