Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Decent game last night. The 67’s got to running around a bit in the 2nd for a while but overall they held their composure well. Silly giveaways at the end of the 1st and end of the 2nd.

The game announcers seemed pretty sure the puck didn’t enter the net prior to the completion of the period but for some reason, they were unable to link the overhead camera to the score clock. Why on Earth do we not have those in sync? Seems like a no brainer. I guess not. Since there was no sync between the camera and the clock, there is no chance to determine whether the puck was in or not prior to the end of the period. Goal stands based on the play called on ice. It is what it is but the OHL needs to fix that. Sync the clock and the overhead cameras. CBC has had that technology on HNIC for decades! OHL? Too difficult I guess.

The game was rather tame for the most part. Some solid goaltending at both ends. The series looks to come down to which team wants it more. I’ve had an issue with the drive of the Petes all season so I think this will go the 67’s way. 67’s need to win at home again tomorrow. Then they need to give a full 60 minute effort on Tuesday. Push the Petes against the wall. They’ve shown when they are down, they stay down. Not a lot of fight in that dog this year. The problem is when they are riding high and things are going well, they tend to ride that momentum and play with a ton more confidence.

The key for Ottawa will be to score the first goal and keep pressure on.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Decent game last night. The 67’s got to running around a bit in the 2nd for a while but overall they held their composure well. Silly giveaways at the end of the 1st and end of the 2nd.

The game announcers seemed pretty sure the puck didn’t enter the net prior to the completion of the period but for some reason, they were unable to link the overhead camera to the score clock. Why on Earth do we not have those in sync? Seems like a no brainer. I guess not. Since there was no sync between the camera and the clock, there is no chance to determine whether the puck was in or not prior to the end of the period. Goal stands based on the play called on ice. It is what it is but the OHL needs to fix that. Sync the clock and the overhead cameras. CBC has had that technology on HNIC for decades! OHL? Too difficult I guess.

The game was rather tame for the most part. Some solid goaltending at both ends. The series looks to come down to which team wants it more. I’ve had an issue with the drive of the Petes all season so I think this will go the 67’s way. 67’s need to win at home again tomorrow. Then they need to give a full 60 minute effort on Tuesday. Push the Petes against the wall. They’ve shown when they are down, they stay down. Not a lot of fight in that dog this year. The problem is when they are riding high and things are going well, they tend to ride that momentum and play with a ton more confidence.

The key for Ottawa will be to score the first goal and keep pressure on.
Yes a good game by both teams. Petes also played well and as you said both teams were quite disciplined. I think they both realize taking stupid penalties will be costly with the talent on both sides. A few thoughts
1-Beck is starting to be dominant after all his issues the last two years
2- Marelli is more and more impressive, very solid defensively and boy can he skate
3- Stoney is not his usual self since start of playoffs, getting knocked off the puck easily. Not sure what's up but we need more from him.
4- Tolnai really stabilized our third line
5- Gardiner/Foster playing solid hockey
6-Donoso very calm back there
As you said have to keep the pressure on the Petes, good team who will burn you quickly if you take your foot off the gas.

Reactions: NordiquesForeva

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Yes a good game by both teams. Petes also played well and as you said both teams were quite disciplined. I think they both realize taking stupid penalties will be costly with the talent on both sides. A few thoughts
1-Beck is starting to be dominant after all his issues the last two years
2- Marelli is more and more impressive, very solid defensively and boy can he skate
3- Stoney is not his usual self since start of playoffs, getting knocked off the puck easily. Not sure what's up but we need more from him.
4- Tolnai really stabilized our third line
5- Gardiner/Foster playing solid hockey
6-Donoso very calm back there
As you said have to keep the pressure on the Petes, good team who will burn you quickly if you take your foot off the gas.

Really good points here, including the one about Stonehouse. He definitely looks off, not playing with his usual swagger or tenaciousness the last few games. Maybe playing through an injury? A few of the Generals forwards weren’t shy about roughing him up last series.

I also think Matier and Constantini need to be a lot better going forward. Constantini has been handling the puck like a grenade since the playoffs started and Matier looked a little lost times at last night. He can, and needs to be, a lot better.

Happy for Tolnai and Barlas that they made it back. A little rust on Tolnai last night but he’ll shake it off and really stabilize our forward group.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Really good points here, including the one about Stonehouse. He definitely looks off, not playing with his usual swagger or tenaciousness the last few games. Maybe playing through an injury? A few of the Generals forwards weren’t shy about roughing him up last series.

I also think Matier and Constantini need to be a lot better going forward. Constantini has been handling the puck like a grenade since the playoffs started and Matier looked a little lost times at last night. He can, and needs to be, a lot better.

Happy for Tolnai and Barlas that they made it back. A little rust on Tolnai last night but he’ll shake it off and really stabilize our forward group.

My assumption is Stonehouse goes back beside Tolnai soon. Once the lines get stretched out, we will see a bit of a return to normalcy.

Pinelli - Rohrer - Gerrior
Foster - Morrison - Beck
Stonehouse - Tolnai - Gardiner
Barlas - Dever/Kelly

Marrelli is far more playoff ready than Mews. That first goal against was Costantini dropping it back to Mews behind the net instead of just clearing it. It is near the end of the period. Clear the puck, run the clock. Stop trying to make an offensive play 200’ from the opposition net with 30 seconds left. Then Mews was under a bit of pressure and rushed his return pass to Costantini and missed him. Then there’s the turnover. Puck in the net. This is another situation where I really don’t like Mews on the ice to finish a Powerplay. Far too many mistakes and he isn’t strong enough yet to recover from them. That wasn’t 100% his fault. The puck should never have come back to him. But, regardless, you can’t have him on the ice even strength against either of the top 2 line of Peterborough and you can best bet he will be mismatched at the end of a powerplay.

I really feel like now that Barlas and Tolnai are back, I want to see Sirman back on defence with Costantini. Costantini looked so much better out there as the headman on the puck paired with Sirman as opposed to being the defensively responsible guy paired with Mintyukov. Costantini is so much better forcing the play than defending. Marrelli has played really solid defensively, well enough to make a run beside Mintyukov. Dress Mews as the 7th D-Man. Barlas and Dever as the extra forwards. Run out Barlas on the other lines. Play Dever sparingly here and there. Basically run out three lines with the other two as subs. I know it won’t happen but Costantini is really tough to watch defensively with Mintyukov all over the ice. He really isn’t the right guy for Mintyukov. He doesn’t do the simple things well enough in his own zone.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
My assumption is Stonehouse goes back beside Tolnai soon. Once the lines get stretched out, we will see a bit of a return to normalcy.

Foster - Morrison - Beck
Barlas - Dever/Kelly

Marrelli is far more playoff ready than Mews. That first goal against was Costantini dropping it back to Mews behind the net instead of just clearing it. It is near the end of the period. Clear the puck, run the clock. Stop trying to make an offensive play 200’ from the opposition net with 30 seconds left. Then Mews was under a bit of pressure and rushed his return pass to Costantini and missed him. Then there’s the turnover. Puck in the net. This is another situation where I really don’t like Mews on the ice to finish a Powerplay. Far too many mistakes and he isn’t strong enough yet to recover from them. That wasn’t 100% his fault. The puck should never have come back to him. But, regardless, you can’t have him on the ice even strength against either of the top 2 line of Peterborough and you can best bet he will be mismatched at the end of a powerplay.

I really feel like now that Barlas and Tolnai are back, I want to see Sirman back on defence with Costantini. Costantini looked so much better out there as the headman on the puck paired with Sirman as opposed to being the defensively responsible guy paired with Mintyukov. Costantini is so much better forcing the play than defending. Marrelli has played really solid defensively, well enough to make a run beside Mintyukov. Dress Mews as the 7th D-Man. Barlas and Dever as the extra forwards. Run out Barlas on the other lines. Play Dever sparingly here and there. Basically run out three lines with the other two as subs. I know it won’t happen but Costantini is really tough to watch defensively with Mintyukov all over the ice. He really isn’t the right guy for Mintyukov. He doesn’t do the simple things well enough in his own zone.
I think you are going to see Sirman as a forward for the rest of the playoffs.

First I think having his defensive abilities at forward help the Defence as it gives the team 3 D on the ice. Also I have a feeling that Tolnai and Barlas may not be 100% and that there re other injuries on the team that we do not know about. Sirman can fill in a few shifts for these guys if need be.

Constantini was never a stay at home defensive defenceman. I think that Marelli may have realized that this is his ticket to the NHL. Also the best way for him to get ice time on this team.

The big question is are Barlas and Tolnai FULLY back.

Also OMG remember play nice.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013

Foster - Morrison - Beck
Barlas - Dever/Kelly

What about simply putting Matier with Minty and Cos with Mayich? Mayich is a stay at home and plays well with Cos. Matier can play the shutdown role at elite level.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
What about simply putting Matier with Minty and Cos with Mayich? Mayich is a stay at home and plays well with Cos. Matier can play the shutdown role at elite level.

That would be a better alternative I think.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Hello 67’s fans, I wanted to ask how Mintyukov has been lately. His point production has slowed, but I was hoping some of you who actually watch him play could give a quick summary on his play, both at even strength and on the PP.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
67's down 2-0 early in 2nd period

2-0 after 2

Last edited:

OHLoutsider2020

Aug 30, 2019
Hello 67’s fans, I wanted to ask how Mintyukov has been lately. His point production has slowed, but I was hoping some of you who actually watch him play could give a quick summary on his play, both at even strength and on the PP.
Matier should be quarterback on PP1. Once again they had the best PP in league when he was back there. Now he gets on with 20 seconds left in each man advantage. Or even better - Minty and Matier on PP1 and stay on entire time.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Simply put, the 67s were brutal today. Simpson was the better goaltender, by a lot.

Any team that trails 2-0 after two, and then doesn't get a shot on net in the third until 13:30 in, doesn't deserve to be in it at all. Very hard to watch.

Petes played their game and Ottawa did not. Somewhere, I heard ghostly laughter (Roger maybe, with an assist by Gary) as Ottawa defenders dawdled behind their net, waiting as the Petes' "checkers" sat out in the high slot or at the blue line. Step up, Dave, that's some old school BS. It certainly worked, but I hate it.

Race Dawg

Mar 10, 2023
Sunny Muskoka
Don't trying to troll here but does any think this team has the stones to win the OHL? The 67's are soft. Highly skilled when they want to be but also meek and meager at times especially since Peterborough at can bottle Ottawa up and use the body frequently. Mind I have seen the 67's knock around a few Petes on their ass but ultimately the 67's need to plug some holes net year and draft size. I don't think this is an OHL champion team but hopefully they can pull their shit together. I have seen far superior teams in the past so IMO the team overachieved bigtime.

This is a totally winnable series for the Petes. They're big and move the puck well. Plus they have a very good goalie.

Only saw the first period then had to jet. That Ottawa goal was kicked in 100%. The 67's looked uninterested...

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Don't trying to troll here but does any think this team has the stones to win the OHL? The 67's are soft. Highly skilled when they want to be but also meek and meager at times especially since Peterborough at can bottle Ottawa up and use the body frequently. Mind I have seen the 67's knock around a few Petes on their ass but ultimately the 67's need to plug some holes net year and draft size. I don't think this is an OHL champion team but hopefully they can pull their shit together. I have seen far superior teams in the past so IMO the team overachieved bigtime.

This is a totally winnable series for the Petes. They're big and move the puck well. Plus they have a very good goalie.

Only saw the first period then had to jet. That Ottawa goal was kicked in 100%. The 67's looked uninterested...

I called Ottawa in 6 before the series started and I’m sticking with that prediction as of right now. Peterborough made some nice adjustments after game 1 with their D-zone play, by taking away the cross-ice seam passes that Morrison and Beck have been so good at recently. The 67s got their chances but just couldn’t convert. Towards the end the 67s were overpassing, looking for the perfect look instead of settling for reasonable opportunities.

Simpson outplayed Donoso handily today.

Marrelli is outplaying Mews and Constantini at this point. Didn’t see much of Foster or Gerrior in the third. Gerrior is a guy who’s been so good for us down the stretch, and imo needs to be playing in a short bench situation.

The offside call on the Matier play was complete bullshit. Too close to whistle down, let the play go and go to review after if needed.

It was a well played, physical game.

Overall Peterborough deserved the win today but much too early to pull the panic button imo.

Reactions: Race Dawg

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Hey nobody said it would be easy. Petes played a good game and deserved the win. Regroup and answer.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
The offside call on the Matier play was complete bullshit. Too close to whistle down, let the play go and go to review after if needed.
One of the replays showed a 67s player out on the left side enter ahead of Matier. They showed three replays of the guy who was onside entering on the right of Matier so if that's what you're referring to, well , the offside guy was actually way over on the left. That's what I saw anyway.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
One of the replays showed a 67s player out on the left side enter ahead of Matier. They showed three replays of the guy who was onside entering on the right of Matier so if that's what you're referring to, well , the offside guy was actually way over on the left. That's what I saw anyway.

Agreed.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022

Was at the game so we got one replay in slow motion. It certainly seemed close and that close of a play at the line gets let go many times per game. They should have let the play go and leaned on the review after the whistle, which is what they seem to do at the NHL level. Then pull back the goal if the play was in fact offside.

I’m not disputing whether it was an offside or not (I trust what you’re saying is true and we didn’t get a great look at the game).

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
67s were lacklustre today. Is what it is. Young teams sometimes don’t come to play. Youth can be exposed when less than a 100% effort is made.

Costantini needs to play as the puck mover not the defensive safety net. Simple as that. Sirman needs to play with him and stop the nonsense of playing a 2nd pairing D-Man as a 4th line winger. Sirman didn’t get his heavy +/-playing 4th line wing.

Play Marrelli with Mintyukov 5 on 5. Mews shouldn’t even dress. He’s slow with decisions in the defensive zone and as the playoffs progress, his decision making time continues to be a shorter window.

The bottom line is the 67s played not to lose today. Play to win and start making smarter decisions behind the bench. 3:30 left in a game down by 2 and Cameron is rolling the 4th line? Nonsense. Play to win. Garbage.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
67s were lacklustre today. Is what it is. Young teams sometimes don’t come to play. Youth can be exposed when less than a 100% effort is made.

Costantini needs to play as the puck mover not the defensive safety net. Simple as that. Sirman needs to play with him and stop the nonsense of playing a 2nd pairing D-Man as a 4th line winger. Sirman didn’t get his heavy +/-playing 4th line wing.

Play Marrelli with Mintyukov 5 on 5. Mews shouldn’t even dress. He’s slow with decisions in the defensive zone and as the playoffs progress, his decision making time continues to be a shorter window.

The bottom line is the 67s played not to lose today. Play to win and start making smarter decisions behind the bench. 3:30 left in a game down by 2 and Cameron is rolling the 4th line? Nonsense. Play to win. Garbage.
Glad you are back, but a bit surprised that there is no indication of sackcloth and ashes on your avatar.
:D

I did see Mintyukov and Matier paired up late. TBH, Matier had a bit of fire early, but the last two games have not been his best.

Cameron needs to counter that "stretch pass" block. I felt like it was 1976 again and Kilrea telling Geiger and Marengere to just pass back and forth while Green had the Petes cruising outside the blue line. You can't win by playing the other guy's game.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Forget about pairings and such the bottom line is that his team stunk yesterday. Any time a team ike Ottawa only gets 10 shots in 2 periods they are going to lose.

The 67s are a team buit on speed and tenacity. They showed neither in this game. Peterborough is winning games not because they outscore teams but because they play their defence game and take what they get and make it work.
Teir number 1 line is outplaying our number 1 line. Period

Reactions: Section5Petes

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
First of all they have to stop getting caught in too deep and getting beat on 2 on1s as a result.

Cameron has got to come up with a counter attack for the Petes defensive shell. With all his experience he should be able to come up with an answer.

Get the lead so the Pete's have to use a different approach with their attack.

So many wasted chances by passing the puck around with no real actual shot. Shoot low and hope for a bounce off some legs in front of the net or a deflection. Pass, pass, pass and no real chances on the net produces nothing.

Reactions: beastintheeast
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad