Ottawa 67's 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sec20forever

Aug 11, 2015
Once again a soft goal leads to another loss. Its always on the stick side. Rest of the sees a goal like that and just kills any thing we had going in the game.

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
Once again a soft goal leads to another loss. Its always on the stick side. Rest of the sees a goal like that and just kills any thing we had going in the game.
Not sure I would agree that it was a soft goal. Kingston scoresd with a screened shot on the Power Play late in the third (resulting from an undisciplined penalty by Barron) and then capitalized on their momentum. Tremblay made a nice save under pressure, but Nyman popped in the rebound to tie up the game. We’ve seen bad games by Tremblay, but this wasn’t one of them, imo.

In both games against Kingston this weekend, goaltending didn’t seem to be the major issue, no matter what the score line might indicate. Undisciplined penalties, coupled with inconsistent defensive play against a stacked offensive team, lead to untimely goals that did us in (i.e. both first period PP goals yesterday putting us in a hole and then the 3rd and OT winner tonight - although I can’t really fault Felhaber for the penalty in OT).

If we play a disciplined game against Missy tomorrow, and tighten up defensively, we should come out on top. If we take dumb penalties, or cough up the puck too much, well....

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Anytime you can take a team with the offense of Kingston to OT is a good day. Kingston is a strong team. How strong we do not know. We only know that it traded to be the top team in the OHL. Has an awesome goalie and a disciplined and experienced team.

Ottawa has a team that is still building slowly and will be good for a few years hopefully. The same can not be said for Kingston. Is Tremblay the answer NO but then again if you take penalties against at team with 3 good lines you are going to get hurt. Imagine trying to play the Penguins when they were hot with a player always in the penalty box.

At this stage, if the team can play disciplined hockey all i hope for is that they take Barrie to 6 or 7 games. Playing any other team at this stage would not be good.

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
Ottawa has a team that is still building slowly and will be good for a few years hopefully. At this stage, if the team can play disciplined hockey all i hope for is that they take Barrie to 6 or 7 games. Playing any other team at this stage would not be good.
Couldn’t agree with you more. As you alluded to, we all need to keep things in perspective. This is not the year to win the Mem Cup. It’s a year to develop and grow and gain some solid playoff experience for the future.

From that perspective, it was a pretty good year, especially considering that the ENTIRE management and coaching staff was new. Next year should be interesting.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Tremblay in net down 3-0 after 15 mins 3 goals on 6 shots. Ottawa outshooting Missy 7-6 but down 3-0

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
Tremblay in net down 3-0 after 15 mins 3 goals on 6 shots. Ottawa outshooting Missy 7-6 but down 3-0
True....but defensive breakdowns lead to the goals rather than poor goaltending. Tremblay was tough to fault, particularly on the third goal.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Couldn’t agree with you more. As you alluded to, we all need to keep things in perspective. This is not the year to win the Mem Cup. It’s a year to develop and grow and gain some solid playoff experience for the future.

From that perspective, it was a pretty good year, especially considering that the ENTIRE management and coaching staff was new. Next year should be interesting.

It is far from a pretty good year. Very far.

This was a development year, yes. But, finishing at .500 in a year that should have been a spring board year that would satisfactorily prepare us for contention next year, I would say this is very disappointing.

This year we should have contended for home ice advantage. We didn’t. We look to be going up against Hamilton or Barrie and we should not really be in either of those series.

We had gaping holes at Centre, Defense and Goaltending at the beginning of the year and nothing was done. Granted, some good moves were made and we do have some players that look to be on the verge of being significant players but some others that should have been that this year were not. I would suggest that the core players on this team that were touted to be impact players ALL have underachieved.... Chmelevski, Barron, Keating, Hoefenmeyer, Tremblay, and Felhaber. Each and every single one of those players are below expectations and if anyone suggests otherwise, I will point you in their direction and get them to ask the players themselves if they have reached their own personal expectations and they will all tell you no. The players we are generally more excited about are the younger ones that weren’t expected to make a big jump this year. That tells you something.

So, no, this has not been a positive year. It has been a positive 2018 after a disasterous 2017 but the perspective needs to be on results this year. And we have fallen well short of those expectations. That does not mean there are no positives and it also doesn’t mean that we don’t have loftier expectations next year but to reach those expectations, the management has a lot of work to do in the off season. If they stay status quo through the beginning of next year happy with what they have, it will be a complete waste of potential.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
It is far from a pretty good year. Very far.

This was a development year, yes. But, finishing at .500 in a year that should have been a spring board year that would satisfactorily prepare us for contention next year, I would say this is very disappointing.

This year we should have contended for home ice advantage. We didn’t. We look to be going up against Hamilton or Barrie and we should not really be in either of those series.

We had gaping holes at Centre, Defense and Goaltending at the beginning of the year and nothing was done. Granted, some good moves were made and we do have some players that look to be on the verge of being significant players but some others that should have been that this year were not. I would suggest that the core players on this team that were touted to be impact players ALL have underachieved.... Chmelevski, Barron, Keating, Hoefenmeyer, Tremblay, and Felhaber. Each and every single one of those players are below expectations and if anyone suggests otherwise, I will point you in their direction and get them to ask the players themselves if they have reached their own personal expectations and they will all tell you no. The players we are generally more excited about are the younger ones that weren’t expected to make a big jump this year. That tells you something.

So, no, this has not been a positive year. It has been a positive 2018 after a disasterous 2017 but the perspective needs to be on results this year. And we have fallen well short of those expectations. That does not mean there are no positives and it also doesn’t mean that we don’t have loftier expectations next year but to reach those expectations, the management has a lot of work to do in the off season. If they stay status quo through the beginning of next year happy with what they have, it will be a complete waste of potential.
Well every year there are deceptions and surprises, part of the game. I agree with 4 out of six on your list. I disagree about Chem and Barron. I think Barron has had a good year within his skill set and he is a leader. We have to forget he was a #3 pick, he is what he is. As for Chem to me he's been a great surprise and has improved greatly over last year. I know you were never a fan but I have trouble seeing how he underachieved. As for the season in general I agree from a standings standpoint we underahieved and we should have competed for top 4. There are 3 reasons for this
1-goaltending
2-goaltending
3-goaltending
Imo we're easily top 4 with a competitive goalie. Its cost us between 15-20 points imo.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
As a follow up the blame is squarely on management for blowing the goalie situation rather than on the players.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Dreadful game today overall. No-one could make a pass, take a pass, or shoot. Other than that it was OK. Tremblay had his moments, but blocker side is his weakness, with another today on a low shot. Yesterday against Kingston, the third Fronts goal was an unobstructed shot low blocker side. The team sagged after that. Just a team effort today or lack thereof. Missy is no world-beater and we looked like stiffs. Not pretty.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
As a follow up the blame is squarely on management for blowing the goalie situation rather than on the players.

The question is whether the management is smart enough to address the potential holes int he offseason when they are cheaper or not.

The acquisition of a front line centre to stretch the lines out and push Hoelscher to 3rd line would be great. Imagine a 3rd line of Hoelscher, Clarke, Boomhower? Or maybe with a top 5 or 7 pick, replace Boomhower with a significant 1st round pick? That has the potential to be a Championship top three lines.

The defense should be fine when you consider overall depth.

I’m curious of whether Quinn can make an impact from the 4th line with Bitten under that scenario.

Don’t get me started on a Goalie. I dont’ want to give up on True because he has some skill and size. But we have Yule for the left side so we don’t need the Import. If the Import rules are relaxed and are allowed to take a Goalie, it may be a good option.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Frustrating in that a couple of weeks ago this team looked capable of maybe pulling off a first round upset. Needless to say, that's long gone. What is most disappointing is to see an OA goalie who should be carrying us melting down right when we need him most. I still think that the 67's could be a surprisingly tough out for someone in the first round, but they had better pull it together quickly...

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
The question is whether the management is smart enough to address the potential holes int he offseason when they are cheaper or not.

The acquisition of a front line centre to stretch the lines out and push Hoelscher to 3rd line would be great. Imagine a 3rd line of Hoelscher, Clarke, Boomhower? Or maybe with a top 5 or 7 pick, replace Boomhower with a significant 1st round pick? That has the potential to be a Championship top three lines.

The defense should be fine when you consider overall depth.

I’m curious of whether Quinn can make an impact from the 4th line with Bitten under that scenario.

Don’t get me started on a Goalie. I dont’ want to give up on True because he has some skill and size. But we have Yule for the left side so we don’t need the Import. If the Import rules are relaxed and are allowed to take a Goalie, it may be a good option.
yeah I like True also, size, speed and has shown skill but we despearatly need a goalie. A bit out of left field but I wonder if we could trade Okhotiuk for a top center? We have four 18y.o. next year and Peric will be good to very good imo. Also we would have the space to add an OA d if need be...just a thought. As a bonus we keep True. As for Quinn I suspect he will be more than a fourth liner.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
yeah I like True also, size, speed and has shown skill but we despearatly need a goalie. A bit out of left field but I wonder if we could trade Okhotiuk for a top center? We have four 18y.o. next year and Peric will be good to very good imo. Also we would have the space to add an OA d if need be...just a thought. As a bonus we keep True. As for Quinn I suspect he will be more than a fourth liner.

Interesting thought. The easiest way to get a top centre is to trade one of the D-Men. I am just not sure when the Imports are allowed to be traded. I know they need a year int he league before they can be dealt but I am not sure if that is before the Import draft or not.

Hamilton will have a fair bit of turnover. Someone like Brandon Saigeon would be interesting. Imagine him and Barron on the same line with someone like Chmelevski as a trigger guy on the right side? Chmelevski would have loads of room on that line! He could be like a Brett Hull.

Draft a centre top 6 in the Priority Draft to play the 3rd line. Keep Hoelscher in the #2 spot. The wings are way deep with Felhaber, Keating, Clark, and Clarke. As you mentioned, you still have Quinn, Bitten, Yule, True....

There are a lot of options. As you mentioned, if you trade a kid like Okhotyuk, you could draft a D-Man in the 1st round to keep the turnstiles moving....

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Personally, I think there is only 1 position that this team needs to focus on and that is the goaltending. Blaming management for the issues is easy but do not forget. EVERYONE HERE wanted Lazarev moved to give Lafreniere a chance to start. The issue was that after the deal was made we found out that he did not have the skill set that he could be depended on. Tremblay was brought in as a back up because none of the rookies were ready. At the trade deadline, they made a hell of an offer to Windsor but could not convince the player that they had a team that could win.

They tried but things did not go as planned.

OKAY SO what do we need to do.

No trades unless it is going to get a goalie that was a starter this year on a good team.
Draft the best character player available no matter what the position. In the first round. Draft the best goalie available in the second round. Use the picks we have to develop the players that we need.

If the EURO draft loosens and allows goalies then definitely get the best goalie that you can. Do you release or trade True. Probably, Ohtoyuk is going to be a best and that is the type of player you need on defense. Goal scoring defenseman is not what wins playoffs or tight games unless their name is Orr. It is the defenseman that can make you pay in the corner or clear the front of the net.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Have to agree with Beast: Okhotyuk is a keeper. True has faded of late: 2 points in his last 14 games after 4 points in 3 games to start February.

If the rules change and a Euro goalie is allowed, for sure. If not, a Euro centre that could challenge for the #1 slot some day?

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Have to agree with Beast: Okhotyuk is a keeper. True has faded of late: 2 points in his last 14 games after 4 points in 3 games to start February.

If the rules change and a Euro goalie is allowed, for sure. If not, a Euro centre that could challenge for the #1 slot some day?

Agreed as well...people also need to remember that Import players can be traded but a lot of them come because of the city they are going to play in, the systems that are run and most importantly the support system around them. From what I've heard from a friend that used to teach English to two import players a few years ago, the 67's have a very good system in place.

Okhotyuk may already be our best Defenceman, at worst he is in the top three with Bahl and Rippon in the past month, all while settling down as a 16/17 year old and learning a new culture and language. A team shouldn't trade players who may be first round NHL picks the next summer and as of now he is still ranked in that area.

A top notch Center or Goalie is a must out of this draft and True would be much better off with another team that has fewer forwards. At this point, Ottawa is looking at the 15th overall pick and should net a true impact player in the same range that they picked Okhotyuk (16th) last year.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Agreed as well...people also need to remember that Import players can be traded but a lot of them come because of the city they are going to play in, the systems that are run and most importantly the support system around them. From what I've heard from a friend that used to teach English to two import players a few years ago, the 67's have a very good system in place.

Okhotyuk may already be our best Defenceman, at worst he is in the top three with Bahl and Rippon in the past month, all while settling down as a 16/17 year old and learning a new culture and language. A team shouldn't trade players who may be first round NHL picks the next summer and as of now he is still ranked in that area.

A top notch Center or Goalie is a must out of this draft and True would be much better off with another team that has fewer forwards. At this point, Ottawa is looking at the 15th overall pick and should net a true impact player in the same range that they picked Okhotyuk (16th) last year.
An import player cannot be traded their first year in the league, after their first year they can be traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad