Ottawa 67's 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Personally, I think there is only 1 position that this team needs to focus on and that is the goaltending. Blaming management for the issues is easy but do not forget. EVERYONE HERE wanted Lazarev moved to give Lafreniere a chance to start. The issue was that after the deal was made we found out that he did not have the skill set that he could be depended on. Tremblay was brought in as a back up because none of the rookies were ready. At the trade deadline, they made a hell of an offer to Windsor but could not convince the player that they had a team that could win.

They tried but things did not go as planned.

OKAY SO what do we need to do.

No trades unless it is going to get a goalie that was a starter this year on a good team.
Draft the best character player available no matter what the position. In the first round. Draft the best goalie available in the second round. Use the picks we have to develop the players that we need.

If the EURO draft loosens and allows goalies then definitely get the best goalie that you can. Do you release or trade True. Probably, Ohtoyuk is going to be a best and that is the type of player you need on defense. Goal scoring defenseman is not what wins playoffs or tight games unless their name is Orr. It is the defenseman that can make you pay in the corner or clear the front of the net.
yesI was one that wanted Lazarev moved. I'm not sure you can say Lafreniere did not have the skillset. Basically he was not given a chanceto be #1 despite a decent year last year. It seems they made up their mind Tremblay was the guy. Granted we don't see everyday practise etc but I still think management blew this one.

Last edited:

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
yesI was one that wanted Lazarev moved. I'm not sure you can say Lafreniere did not have the skillset. Basically he was not given a chanceto be #1 despite a decent year last year. It seems they made up their mind Tremblay was the guy. Granted we don't see everyday practise etc but I still think management blew this one.

Lafreniere got his chance, no? 4.19 GAA and .870 SV% in 12 games just isn't good enough to be a #1. He's improved to 3.46 and .875 in Owen Sound and is ranked 19th among OHL goalies (Tremblay is 15th and Lasarev 11th). Interesting to note: Kitchener and Mississauga both have 2 goalies in top-20.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Lafreniere got his chance, no? 4.19 GAA and .870 SV% in 12 games just isn't good enough to be a #1. He's improved to 3.46 and .875 in Owen Sound and is ranked 19th among OHL goalies (Tremblay is 15th and Lasarev 11th). Interesting to note: Kitchener and Mississauga both have 2 goalies in top-20.

I don’t believe Lafreniere got a chance at all.

If I remember correctly, Tremblay was getting the starts at the beginning. Both were wonky for sure but it was Tremblay that was getting the benefit of the doubt. 12 games through the deadline isn’t really what I consider being given the reigns to make a real go of it, especially when not all of those 12 games were starts. Tremblay did get pulled a few times as a result of his inept play.

I think we all wanted Lazarev gone to free up the OA spot for another player of more value because we all felt Lafreniere would be adequate enough or at least not really much of a downgrade. Also, not many of us felt Lazarev would stick around North America to play as an OA anyway. He did have other options in Europe.

The thought process was we had Foget as an OA and were in need of a veteran D-Man and a Centre so utilizing an OA spot of a redundant goalie was a waste of an OA spot. Little did we now that the management was going to sit on their hands and play fiddle sticks through the deadline while the team wasted away into nothing.

Regarding next year, we need to define expectations. My expectations is to Challenge for the Conference and Championship. Anything less is an absolute waste. We held on to all these players and endured the young defense specifically to mature as a group together. We lose a lot of offense after next season so waiting for all those D-Men to be 19 is silly.

If that is the goal, then assets need to be aligned for next season...period. End of discussion on that.

If that is the goal, then we need to first decide what areas we are in need. Goaltending is one for sure. Can Andree do the job? Maybe. But, if your goal is to win win win, then do you hang your hat on a goalie with less than a dozen games to his credit and probably zero playoff experience? Doubtful.

I still think Centre is a MUST. Chmelevski is simply not a centre. HE is a gifted offensive player but he is not a centre. HE will not be a centre when he leaves this league. So, why square peg a round hole? He will be a scoring front line winger. If we can shift him to the wing where he can be less defensively responsible and be allowed to roam around a little more, especially with a passing centre, we will see a much more effective player. How we get that centre is up for debate. But, an option is to not draft a 16 or 17 year old int he Import Draft. We could make overtures toward a more seasoned and experienced high NHL pick looking to make that transition to North America. Or, we could trade for one, maybe an OA. I like Boomhower but if the option is him or a stud OA centre at a cost of two 2nds in the offseason, then I know which way I go.

I would also like to see a true #1 D-Man but those dont’ fall off trees so I doubt we ever get one without trading whomever we draft int he first round this year.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Not to hijack this thread, but, how was Lipanov traded to Sudbury if this were the case ?

Lipanov was picked two years ago and Barrie held his rights all year and only used the one pick this year to pick Svechnikov. A player has to be the property of a team for one year.

Last edited:

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
With the 67's now slated to pick fifth, you would have to think that a very, very good player will be available especially considering that at least three of the teams ahead of us have had recent reporting issues for top picks (Sudbury, Flint and Peterborough) and Erie is a far off destination for some kids.

Is there a chance for Drysdale or Byfield to be available? Even if they have major reporting question marks and will only report to London, etc- the 67's could grab either of them and likely trade for 4 x 2nd round + 2 x 3rd round at a minimum and pick up next year's 6th overall pick as compensation. They could then flip those picks for a stud OA/ 19 year old Centre and keep some of the treasure trove of other picks they've picked up.

There really isn't going to be a lot of ice available next year. Cascagnette will leave a hole in the 3rd line, Boomhower may or may not leave a spot on the 4th line and Barron signing would open up a hole in the first line. If True doesn't return as an import, we are likely looking at three openings (assuming one of Barron/Boom return). Jack Quinn is a lock for one spot, winning Top Prospect in the CCHL. Quinn Yule has improved throughout the year and may be able to grab a spot on the 3rd line as a good skating, physical winger.

All 7 defencemen are slated to return and I've heard James Boyd mention on multiple occasions that he really likes the defencemen available in this year's draft. I would think that he will move one of the returning D in the offseason, as there just isn't going to be enough playing time to go around and I can't see any of them being happy as the healthy scratch #7D in the season opener. The team drafted Bruce Coltart (19 pts for Smiths Falls this year in the CCHL) and Gavin Wood (brother played in the O), maybe one of them makes the jump next year.

Last edited:

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Imagine how good the team would look by:
1) Drafting a stud C/G in the first round of the import draft

2) Trading all of the comp picks for the defected first rounder + one of the returning D not named Bahl/Rippon/Okhotyuk for the other stud C/G.

You would accomplish all this and still maintain an absolute treasure trove of picks to deal the following year to replace Sasha, Felhaber and possibly Barron if he returns to load up with our experienced D and ideally solid Goalie in 2019-20.

icepups

Jul 11, 2014
Lipanov was picked two years ago and Barrie held his rights all year and only used the one pick this year to pick Nizhnikov. A player has to be the property of a team for one year.

I think you mean Svechnikov not Nizhnikov. Nizhnikov was drafted 7th overall in the 2016 Priority Selection by Missy and his rights traded to Barrie when he failed to report in Missy.

Reactions: BarberPole9

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
With the 67's now slated to pick fifth... Is there a chance for Drysdale or Byfield to be available?

Flint and Sudbury are duking it out over Byfield bigtime and one of them will win I believe.

If Ottawa was to take a chance with the 5th or 6th pick on a possible non-report, this kid Dylan Peterson is intriguing:

Dylan Peterson

American born but with obvious Ottawa connections. A big (6-3) centre with decent (but certainly not overpowering) minor hockey numbers. A BU commit but, as we all know, that is often done as a defence against going to a less than desirable program. Has anybody seen the kid play?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Flint and Sudbury are duking it out over Byfield bigtime and one of them will win I believe.

If Ottawa was to take a chance with the 5th or 6th pick on a possible non-report, this kid Dylan Peterson is intriguing:

Dylan Peterson

American born but with obvious Ottawa connections. A big (6-3) centre with decent (but certainly not overpowering) minor hockey numbers. A BU commit but, as we all know, that is often done as a defence against going to a less than desirable program. Has anybody seen the kid play?

Yes, if we are in the #5 spot, expect Peterson to be the target. I am not sure if he will still be there at the #7 position though.

It seems like the top two are set in stone provided there are no shenanigans.

I have zero issues with drafting a tough to sign player. The only problem is I am not sure if Ottawa is unable to sign Peterson that he will be willing to report elsewhere. We’d have to know in advance (like we would have with McLeod) that the player has a preferred destination and that destination was willing to part with the assets to acquire.

The reality is that no matter whom we pick, we will not have a solid opening for that player to jet up the depth chart so I would assume the 67’s wouldn’t mind a defected player and picking twice in the 2019 draft. I doubt this crew would be afraid of doing that.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I'm sure this is, in part, a result of not having a true #1 centre.

Add experience to that as well. Young team. I wouldn’t have expected the percentages to be any better really. 48+ isn’t horrible considering the median age and the fact we are short down the middle. I’d actually consider that as a positive result overall.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Trying to guess next year's team and yes, I know that it is ridiculously early!

FORWARD
Chmelevski-19/20 year old C/ Felhaber
Barron/Hoelscher/K.Clark
Bitten/Keating/Clarke
Yule/Draft Pick/Quinn
Losev

DEFENCE
Okhotyuk/Rippon
Bahl/Hoefenmayer
Two of Wilson/Robertson/Peric
Draft Pick
17 year old from last year's draft

GOALIE
Import pick
Andree

The third line and third pairing would be the best in recent memory. It all really comes down to getting an above average Goalie and this team could absolutely contend for an Eastern title.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Trying to guess next year's team and yes, I know that it is ridiculously early!

FORWARD
Chmelevski-19/20 year old C/ Felhaber
Barron/Hoelscher/K.Clark
Bitten/Keating/Clarke
Yule/Draft Pick/Quinn
Losev

DEFENCE
Okhotyuk/Rippon
Bahl/Hoefenmayer
Two of Wilson/Robertson/Peric
Draft Pick
17 year old from last year's draft

GOALIE
Import pick
Andree

The third line and third pairing would be the best in recent memory. It all really comes down to getting an above average Goalie and this team could absolutely contend for an Eastern title.

Not a bad stab in the dark.

I think Keating will remain on the wing. I think it is very likely we Finnish bottom six so we should get out hands on a Centre that can step into a 3rd line role. Maybe he starts the season as the 4th line centre but picking that high in a solid draft like this usually means a player loftier than a 4th line 16 year old. That would drop Bitten to the 4th line centre role.

The next question surrounds True and the Import Draft. Although I like the idea of picking up an Import Goalie, there is some risk there. Conversely, if we go with an OA goalie, you usually know what you have. If the OA rules do change next season, the OA goalie won’t count towards your 3 OA spots. So it wouldn’t affect how you slot out your three OA skaters.

Your defense has 9 players. That’s steep. I can see 8 to start the year but a reduction to 7 after the first month is in order.

A Bitten, Quinn, Yule line would be solid and would really help on those three game in three day stretches. Plus Bitten would get a lot of PK time.

Most of this all hinges on two things:
1> Barron returns as an OA
2> We acquire a Playmaking Centre that can play a top 2 line role. Even if they do acquire the Centre, I see the 67’s keeping Chmelevski at Centre and bumping Hoelscher down to the 3rd line. As much as I would like to see Chm on the wing, I don’t think it will happen.

My thoughts would create a roster like:

Barron (OA) - Chmelevski - Felhaber
Keating - TRADE (OA) - Clark
Boomhower (OA) - Hoelscher - Clarke
Yule - Bitten - True
Quinn

Hoefenmayer - Bahl
Rippon - Okhotyuk
Wilson - Robertson
Peric

OA Goalie via Trade
Andree

I predict they draft Dylan Peterson in the draft and he doesn’t sign so he is relegated as Defected. If he signs, he will play LW beside Hoelscher and Boomhower will slide down to the 4th line leaving Yule eating popcorn with Quinn.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Chem will be decided by SJ If they see him as a center then they will want him to stay in that position. If not then he could move.

If you are going for it in 2 years you do not need a defected player this year you need a player that is going to get ice time and develop.

As for goalies. I used to think you could not take a back up with little experience and play him then Helvig came along.

I still would like to see them draft the best player available that can play the whole ice. A goalie in the first round is scarey but if there is a star go for it.

As to True it depends on what they see and hear out of Europe.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Chem will be decided by SJ If they see him as a center then they will want him to stay in that position. If not then he could move.

If you are going for it in 2 years you do not need a defected player this year you need a player that is going to get ice time and develop.

As for goalies. I used to think you could not take a back up with little experience and play him then Helvig came along.

I still would like to see them draft the best player available that can play the whole ice. A goalie in the first round is scarey but if there is a star go for it.

They need to go for it next year imo and possibly the year after that.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

It is pretty much next year for a Championship. The following year will be more difficult because of significant graduations on the offense.

Reasonable speculation, they lose:
2018-2019
1 - Cascagnette
2 - Barron (50-50)
3 - Boomhower (Probable OA if Barron is not returned)
4 - Felhaber (90% chance of being OA)

2019-2020
1 - Felhaber
2 - Barron
3 - Chmelevski (very doubtful as an OA)
4 - Clark (possible OA)
5 - Hoefenmeyer (Possible OA)
6 - Keating (Probable OA)
7 - Wilson (Probable OA)

So, we go into next year pretty much intact. The following year you are at the mercy of the Overage Gods. You cannot plan on cashing in with the OA Gods. So, you really need to make next year count. There is one caveat to this. If the 67’s wanted to be creative, they could deal Chmelevski at the deadline next year and push assets forward tot he following year if they were reasonably certain that Keating and Clark were Probable OA’s.

Regarding a Defected player etc....
1 - If next year is the year then the First rounder probably wouldn’t make all that much of an impact on that veteran laden roster.
2 - If we decide to go down the “Buyer” path at next years deadline, if we don’t have our 1st rounder, other selling teams cannot ask for that player. For example, if we wanted to do something significant this season, we would have had to part with Graham Clarke. That was clearly a non-starter in any trade discussions.
3 - If we had two first rounders in 2019-2020, then it would be easier to part with one of them in a deadline move that season if we are still poised to make a run.

Going the defected player route may be of more value provided we are able to trade that players rights and get the package of four 2nds and two 3rds. It is great to have those picks as trade commodities, but even if we don’t use them in trades, we may need to rebuild a little.

Does this logic make sense?

Reactions: BarberPole9

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OMG

It works only if next year is a great year for draft picks. It worked for Kingston only because of the stock of players.

Personally, if you can get a good first rounder to come here that plays the position you need. Then I would say to take him. For instance, if there is a 6'1 center that places both ends of the rink and is going to be a keeper then take him. He may not be part of the offense in the first half but he will be an asset in the second half of the season and may even be able to move up. The risk you take is if a player gets hurt no matter what we do.

Having that player if we are going for it next year is imperative. Rookies the next year are not going to help.

It might even be a good idea to take a flyer on some of the Fronts players that they got this year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG

It works only if next year is a great year for draft picks. It worked for Kingston only because of the stock of players.

Personally, if you can get a good first rounder to come here that plays the position you need. Then I would say to take him. For instance, if there is a 6'1 center that places both ends of the rink and is going to be a keeper then take him. He may not be part of the offense in the first half but he will be an asset in the second half of the season and may even be able to move up. The risk you take is if a player gets hurt no matter what we do.

Having that player if we are going for it next year is imperative. Rookies the next year are not going to help.

It might even be a good idea to take a flyer on some of the Fronts players that they got this year.

Totally agree. That is why I say Dylan Peterson. He is highly rated, is an Ottawa boy, Centre, 6’3” 185lb but is committed to Boston University.

The question is whether he is willing to stay home and play here. If he may be swayed, it is worth the risk. If he doesn’t then we at least get the comp pick next year. If he would consider the OHL but only with a team like London, then you can work out the trade. To me it is a no lose situation. Although, it is better to have him than not have him because I agree that we need that position covered.

Also, if Chmelevski does move to the wing to make way for an incoming Centre (I mentioned Saigeon as a possible OA target), then Hoelscher stays as the 2nd line centre and the 1st rounder (Peterson for example) takes Casscagnette’s current position on the 3rd line. This would be a solid solution if they could make it work.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
With the 67's losing tonight and NB winning, the best case scenario is 7th place and a rematch with Barrie and likely the 6, 7, 8 or 9th pick overall...the team loses out, plays Hamilton and picks 5th. What is the better long term scenario?

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
With the 67's losing tonight and NB winning, the best case scenario is 7th place and a rematch with Barrie and likely the 6, 7, 8 or 9th pick overall...the team loses out, plays Hamilton and picks 5th. What is the better long term scenario?
They did'nt lose they won 5-4 in OT after scoring 2 goals in last min and winner in 1st min 3 goals in 70 secs.

2ND 0:53
#19 Travis Barron (19) scores. Assists: #8 Sasha Chmelevski, #29 Tye Felhaber
#19 Travis Barron (20) scores. Assists: #29 Tye Felhaber
#29 Tye Felhaber (29) scores.

3RD 19:24
#27 Carter Robertson (4) scores. Assists: #29 Tye Felhaber, #8 Sasha Chmelevski#2
3RD 19:50
Noel Hoefenmayer (7) scores. Assists: #19 Travis Barron, #8 Sasha Chmelevski
OT 0:34
#2 Noel Hoefenmayer (7) scores. Assists: #19 Travis Barron, #8 Sasha Chmelevsk

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
They did'nt lose they won 5-4 in OT after scoring 2 goals in last min and winner in 1st min 3 goals in 70 secs.

2ND 0:53
#19 Travis Barron (19) scores. Assists: #8 Sasha Chmelevski, #29 Tye Felhaber
#19 Travis Barron (20) scores. Assists: #29 Tye Felhaber
#29 Tye Felhaber (29) scores.

3RD 19:24
#27 Carter Robertson (4) scores. Assists: #29 Tye Felhaber, #8 Sasha Chmelevski#2
3RD 19:50
Noel Hoefenmayer (7) scores. Assists: #19 Travis Barron, #8 Sasha Chmelevski
OT 0:34
#2 Noel Hoefenmayer (7) scores. Assists: #19 Travis Barron, #8 Sasha Chmelevsk

That is the kind of finish that can eat at a team in the playoffs. Hypothetically speaking, if Ottawa were to play Barrie in round one and score with an empty net to tie it and then win in OT of Game one, doubt will set in and confidence will shift completely to the Ottawa side.

sec20forever

Aug 11, 2015
Wow did not see that coming last night . Lets hope they can pull one out tonight. I know it shows the game is on tv tonight but last I heard theres no tv coverage in missy this . They closed the rogers station there.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Wow did not see that coming last night . Lets hope they can pull one out tonight. I know it shows the game is on tv tonight but last I heard theres no tv coverage in missy this . They closed the rogers station there.

They did. Previous game(s) from Missy not broadcast but there's a listing for tonight's game on Roger Super Sports Pack.

sec20forever

Aug 11, 2015
I have the sports pac and last week it showed this game canot be broadcast . So I guess it will the good old radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad