Line Combos: Ottawa 2016-2017 thoughts | Part II

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
The more I think about it, the more I want to see this top 6.

Hoffman-Brassard-Stone
Macarthur-Turis-Ryan

Our best player at each forward position on one line and see if they could become one of the best trio in the league. Then we all know what the other three can do together.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Hoffman-Brassard-Stone
Macarthur-Turis-Ryan

Our best player at each forward position on one line and see if they could become one of the best trio in the league. Then we all know what the other three can do together.

HST was on fire until Turris got hurt, I think that line earned the right to start the season off together.

Turris was hurt on 5 Dec 2015, going into that game, here's the lines boxstats:

Hoffman: 21 GP 13g 12a 25 pts +8
Turris: 25 GP 11g 11a 22pts +7
Stone: 23 GP 6g 16a 22 pts -3

Now, lines were juggled a fair bit, so the above represents all their respective icetime and not just the time together, but here's how the line performed (at 5v5)

3.81 GF/60 2.54 GA/60 60.0 GF% 62.17 CF/60 49.91 CA/60 55.5 CF%

That's solid production imo.

Brassard is going into camp penciled in with Ryan and Mac. No doubt in my mind. If things don't work out, we explore other combo's but I suspect that those three will find some chemistry.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Hoffman-Brassard-Stone
Macarthur-Turis-Ryan

we probably will see that. we have about 6 top 6 guys. they can all be swapped around, doesn't really matter. Although best place to start would be where they've said they are starting imo. mix it around if needed after that.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Hoffman-Brassard-Stone
Macarthur-Turis-Ryan

Turris > Brassard

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

Hoffman-Brassard-Stone
Macarthur-Turis-Ryan

we probably will see that at some point but we need to make sure we have ryan and macarthur going

turris should bounce back, hoffman has produced in lower then average ice time (at least to what he should have been getting), brassard is a pp beast so i dont doubt him performing since he is going to be playing with EK65 and stone has shown he can produce with anyone

i dont care what combo it is but if we can get mac and ryan going watch out

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Turris > Brassard

they are different. brassard is more of an intense? attacking player. He's quicker and stronger. My prediction is that he is more of what ryan needs than turris. turris fits very well with hoff and stone.
Turris likely plays a half step behind those two. Brassard probably a half step ahead of ryan. good balance.

Last edited:

spader

Oct 13, 2013
Saskatchewan
Our right side is now #65, #6 and #5. I would feel sorry for Bob Cole, but he calls them all "the Sens defenseman" anyways, so I don't think it matters.

Meh. It could be worse. It could be Potvin calling them the Panthers defensemen. Or just calling all of them Karlsson. :yo: He was bad.

Cheapseats

Cigars N F-Bombs
Mar 2, 2004
I still think the coaching is a huge question mark with this group. I really am hoping for the best, but there's really not a lot here to be overly optimistic about.... We'll know soon enough though.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I think Turris plays a more complete game but Brassard if better offensively.

That's fair but Turris' career high is better than Brassard's, and I think Turris hasn't reached his peak yet whereas imo Brassard is in his peak right now.

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
All the best coaches are former NHL all-stars. Wayne Gretzky, Patrick Roy, Dirk Graham, Butch Goring...

That's right, Bonk, I was talking about their playing careers. I always envision you chuckling to yourself as you craft your deliberately obtuse comments. Am I close?

I get the excitement around the coaching change, but guys, eight coaches in eight years and we failed to get the guy we really could have used. Maybe temper the expectations a little bit?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Hoffman-Brassard-Stone
Macarthur-Turis-Ryan

I agree. Brassard/Stone will have the chemistry and playing style to for a formidable top line combination.

Turris/Stone is great but it Brassard is more intense and will be a better glove for Stone consistently against elite teams, imo.

That's fair but Turris' career high is better than Brassard's, and I think Turris hasn't reached his peak yet whereas imo Brassard is in his peak right now.

I don't think so. Brassard has never had the luxury of playing with the likes of Karlsson and Stone/Hoffman on the ice at the same time. I still think we've yet to see the best of Brassard.

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
I don't think so. Brassard has never had the luxury of playing with the likes of Karlsson and Stone/Hoffman on the ice at the same time. I still think we've yet to see the best of Brassard.

Brassard turns 29 today. Nash, Zuccarello and Yandle were pretty good company. I doubt there's another level to his play.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

I said he's still in his peak so it's still possible he hits over 60 points. Ideally they both combine for at least 120 points. Would be dope.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
That's right, Bonk, I was talking about their playing careers. I always envision you chuckling to yourself as you craft your deliberately obtuse comments. Am I close?

Jesus, some people have no idea how to take a joke.

... People like Wayne Gretzky, Patrick Roy, Dirk Graham, Butch Goring... :laugh:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I get the excitement around the coaching change, but guys, eight coaches in eight years and we failed to get the guy we really could have used. Maybe temper the expectations a little bit?

So, I've yet to get an answer why you think Boucher and I guess Crawford, couldn't cut it in the NHL. Is it because they got fired? Because Julien got fired, Boudreau got fired, Quennville got fired, Darryl Sutter got fired... These are some of the top coaches today.

Boucher is just starting his career, it's a bit early to say he could hack it and from everything I've read and heard, that sentiment isn't consistent with the one held by those in the coaching community.

I fully understand the desire to be cautious with how much of an improvement in coaching we'll see, but being overly pessimistic is just as myopic as being overly optimistic. Yes, we went through a lot of coaches under Murray, but we're under Dorion right now, so it's questionable how relevant that is.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
So, I've yet to get an answer why you think Boucher and I guess Crawford, couldn't cut it in the NHL. Is it because they got fired? Because Julien got fired, Boudreau got fired, Quennville got fired, Darryl Sutter got fired... These are some of the top coaches today.

Boucher is just starting his career, it's a bit early to say he could hack it and from everything I've read and heard, that sentiment isn't consistent with the one held by those in the coaching community.

I fully understand the desire to be cautious with how much of an improvement in coaching we'll see, but being overly pessimistic is just as myopic as being overly optimistic. Yes, we went through a lot of coaches under Murray, but we're under Dorion right now, so it's questionable how relevant that is.

Agreed. Also: We can also continue to ignore the fact that Marc Crawford has technically won a Stanley Cup as a head coach in this league. I mean, yes, it was a while ago, but at the very least I'll give the man credit for it.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I don't know about another level but I am glad we got him for Zibanejad

Me too. Zibby will put up points, but Brassard I think adds that buzzing element we didn't have last year. Our puck recovery in the offensive zone was horrible and he seems to add an element of puck control that we have been lacking in the O-zone since Alfie left.

We were relying on EK to much last year to take the zone for us. Zibby is like Ryan in that he needs his teammates to get the puck into the zone and set up and then they can be effective, they are post up guys, they aren't point guards.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Agreed. Also: We can also continue to ignore the fact that Marc Crawford has technically won a Stanley Cup as a head coach in this league. I mean, yes, it was a while ago, but at the very least I'll give the man credit for it.

I personally don't put much weight into his time with Dallas or LA, as both teams were in a state of transition.

Was it his doing that LA picked up Clouthier? If so, that may have been his undoing. Coaches careers can live and die by goaltending, and he didn't get any in LA. It was a bit better in Dallas, but that team was a bubble roster and just missed. I'd hardly blame their failure on coaching. Now, all that said, I'm not sold on him as a head coach, but he's not going to be a head coach. He definitely is coming with a wealth of experience that not to many assistant or associate coaches have.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Now, all that said, I'm not sold on him as a head coach, but he's not going to be a head coach.

Good lord, no. I'm glad he's here as an assistant and not a head coach, because he's kind of crazy. I was dead set against him as a head coach here.

I'm fine with him as long as there's someone to reign him in as needed. Boucher seems like he'll be more than capable in that regard.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Ryan was on TSN1200 today.

Was asked about Brassard and talked about playing with him spcifically then starting talking abotu the affect he can have on Mac.

Not that this is a surprise, but interesting to hear it from him. Sounds like they were definitely told that theyd be a line going into camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad