Confirmed with Link: [OTT/MIN] Senators trade a 6th round pick in 2014 for Matt Kassian.

frow

Classless
Jan 9, 2013
Good trade imo, in this division you need a guy like this in the organization.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Mods can't opine on a players ability now? lmfao.

He IS a terrible NHL player. He's here to fight, fine. But that doesn't mean he's not a terrible player.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
He's pretty young and he knows what his job is and he's big. Good pickup. Might be worth getting him to spend his offseason working on his skating (similar to Mark Stone) and he might actually turn into a useful 4th line player.

No, get him working with NEIL! :naughty:

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Don't know if any other Wild fans have ventured over here. But, I'm sad to see Kassian go, he can scrap with just about anyone. He's a big kid, and very well liked. He's also a great follow on Twitter. Unfortunately, he didn't have a place here in MN now that we have Konopka and Rupp so it's good to see him go to a place where he can get some ice time. It's a pretty minor trade, but you guys will really like him. Best of luck.

I like it and dislike it for all the reasons already mentioned but that bolded part is hardly a comforting thought.
We LOVE that guy but was made redundant by our Konopka acquisition....

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
Ya it seems some posters are more concerned about the past Sens, who took this team no where!! Weakness.

Hell there are more user names with past Sens then with current ones being used on this boards.

It's pathetic, and I'm glad I don't live in the past, because it sucked for Ottawa.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002
Murray traded a 6th round pick to grab a someone that will allow Sens to compete with divisional rival tough guys and mitigating the chances of players like Durzynski (sp?) feeling like they should fight guys like Mclaren.

Neil cant carry the load by himself and adds a lot of value to the team with his on ice play and we cant afford for him to be in the box constantly.

you know what we cant afford? to run 3 lines because the 4th can no longer be trusted on the ice.
We going to double shift a few guys for the 95 % of the shifts where Kassian is not required?
that's great for continuity and consistency.

In the end BM and PM must have talked and agreed and have a plan for deployment. Given they have almost 100 years in hockey and i have my minor hockey career im going to defer to their judgment.

Kassian also seems like a pretty interesting fellow.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I am shocked at the level of disrespect towards Kassian especially coming from mods. Calling him an atrocious hockey player is not called for an really doesnt add any value. I was under the impression that mods were held to a higher standard.

Murray traded a 6th round pick to grab a someone that will allow Sens to compete with divisional rival tough guys and mitigating the chances of players like Durzynski (sp?) feeling like they should fight guys like Mclaren.

Neil cant carry the load by himself and adds a lot of value to the team with his on ice play and we cant afford for him to be in the box constantly.

Head over to the main board sometime.

I called one out for saying something to the effect that a player on his team shouldn't have to fight Neil every time "one of his 2 brain cells fires up". His response was "I didn't know that I forfeited my right to an opinion when I became a mod" (paraphrasing, but certainly the gist)

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Kassian is a smart guy with decent tools. Under Paul MacLean and others on the team (Smith, Neil specifically) I don't see why they might not be able to get him to become a decent (read: serviceable) player for 4th line minutes. Also if him being on the ice for 7 - 8 minutes a game means everyone else plays a lot better it's worth the trade-off.

Last edited:

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Every hockey person I've talked to thinks this is a great pick up then I come here and I predictably read some internet nerds talking about how peter regin is a more valuable player. Its been obvious for awhile now the sens are lacking toughness, I'm glad they addressed it.

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002
Ya it seems some posters are more concerned about the past Sens, who took this team no where!! Weakness.

Hell there are more user names with past Sens then with current ones being used on this boards.

It's pathetic, and I'm glad I don't live in the past, because it sucked for Ottawa.

Well said. i think you'll find a lot of support here by trashing forum users, the history of the team, and the players that have previously played and made the organization what it is.
Personally i think more of this complete lack of perspective style posting is a diversification must!

next topic:

Alfie was overrated - discuss.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
None of you have any idea as to how Kassian will be used on this team. And I highly doubt any of you have scouted Kassian's time with the Minnesota Wild to determine if he will be a good player in our system or not. I, for one, trust Murray and Maclean. Maclean has probably seen enough of him from his time in the Western Conference to know what role and what ice time he will get.

For those of you complaining about an ineffective 4th line, the 4th line plays on average 5-6 minutes a night. Kassian has shown he can do that in the past. Calling him an "awful" player when even Wild fans indicate he is an effective 4th liner, is ludicrous.

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002

I called one out for saying something to the effect that a player on his team shouldn't have to fight Neil every time "one of his 2 brain cells fires up". His response was "I didn't know that I forfeited my right to an opinion when I became a mod" (paraphrasing, but certainly the gist)

what's wrong with what the mod said?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

My sentiments exactly.

And before this gets any further, if we're going to start resorting to personal attacks against other posters, this is going to get shut down faster than a ice factory in Nunavut.

Discuss the trade. Discuss dissenting opinions... but posts insulting other users aren't going to be tolerated.

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002
None of you have any idea as to how Kassian will be used on this team. And I highly doubt any of you have scouted Kassian's time with the Minnesota Wild to determine if he will be a good player in our system or not. I, for one, trust Murray and Maclean. Maclean has probably seen enough of him from his time in the Western Conference to know what role and what ice time he will get.

For those of you complaining about an ineffective 4th line, the 4th line plays on average 5-6 minutes a night. Kassian has shown he can do that in the past. Calling him an "awful" player when even Wild fans indicate he is an effective 4th liner, is ludicrous.

Yeah, in fact he's so effective, his role has been taken over by Konopka.
He may be fine here but can we stop pretending that this is a potential star 4th liner about to break out that we stole from Minny?

Mods take note? of what? of people with differing views who dont think its suitable for mods to have an opinion?
yes, i agree...mods take note.

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
Well said. i think you'll find a lot of support here by trashing forum users, the history of the team, and the players that have previously played and made the organization what it is.
Personally i think more of this complete lack of perspective style posting is a diversification must!

next topic:

Alfie was overrated - discuss.

I dont need support, im good.

Im the biggest Sens fan I know, and I have supported the team since day 1, and that wont change.

That doesnt change the fact that there was so much that I hated from those past teams.

This team on the other hand has no complaints from me anymore...Brian Murray, and coach Maclean are great, and Im positive about almost every player.

BUCKLE UP

MVPTP
Nov 30, 2009
Ottawa
My sentiments exactly.

And if we're going to start resorting to personal attacks against other posters, this is going to get shut down faster than a ice factory in Nunavut.

Watch yourselves.

You've turned into one of them :shakehead not the good ol' friendly usher anymore :cry:

Wham City

Oct 27, 2006
Whistler
Using a guy like Cooke who is bat**** crazy as an example means nothing. Deterrence is far from a myth.

What happened in the playoffs after Carkner had his way with Boyle? Things changed. A lot.

Kinda neat, maybe I missed something but according to hockeyfights...Kassian has never lost a fight in the NHL.

I was reponding to a guy who said this:

"I think the Cooke's & Rinaldo's will think twice about running our guys with Kassian on the team."

What happened in the playoffs after Carkner fought Boyle? Well a few minutes later Hagelin elbowed Alfie in the head.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
It the Sens were able to work with Konapka's "skill set", I have no doubt Kassassian will be fine as well.

To many games left against teams that will goon it up to not add this element.

Last edited:

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
I sent Matt a note to request he join us on HF Boards, hopefully we can get him to post from time to time.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I sent Matt a note to request he join us on HF Boards, hopefully we can get him to post from time to time.

I've always wondered how many NHLers pay attention to this site? Some guys who are social media/ twitter-heavy like Bissonette probably at least check in from time to time.

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
I remember a similar board-wide reaction to the Methot trade. Now I'm not saying he's going to blow us away like Meth, but give the guy a few games in a Sens sweater before writing him off as a scrub.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I was reponding to a guy who said this:

"I think the Cooke's & Rinaldo's will think twice about running our guys with Kassian on the team."

What happened in the playoffs after Carkner fought Boyle? Well a few minutes later Hagelin elbowed Alfie in the head.

Hagelin's hit has absolutely nothing to do with how the tone of the series changed after Carkner gave Boyle a beating. It's not like Hagelin is a goon that was going around running people -- it was just an unfortunate situation. That kind of stuff happens. He got suspended for it and that's that.

I was responding to your assertion that 'deterrence doesn't exist' or something to that effect. Which just isn't true. There are always going to be psychos that act outside of the norm -- most guys in the league are going to think twice about taking that late hit, or throwing that questionable hit if they know that Kassian is going to be the next guy out on the ice.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Carkner set the stage for that series and since then it titled to our favour.

Anyone who can't see that doesn't understand momentum or hasn't played in a game where they've been uplifted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad