Confirmed Trade: [OTT/MIN] Cam Talbot for Filip Gustavsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yes, the Minnesota Wild had a dynamite first 50 games and Talbot happened to be the goalie for most of those games. That is exactly my point. Talbot was greatly propped up by the Wild as a team. Is Talbot trash? Of course not. But stating that he is better going forward than Murray because the Central/Wild had no other option in net isn't true. Anyone who followed the Wild knows this.
Read it again, here. Talbot 30th win in 49 games. 2nd fastest in Club history to reach that mark. He was recognized for this with an All star appearance which in comparison to how Murray has played in that span, and to the posts saying Murray has been better recently. This Tweet is perfectly appropriate.

Yes. P10p is also a Wild fan, so I'm going to say he as better knowledge of Talbot and the team than you, who picked a random tweet to help solidify your point.
I don't care if it's a Wild fan or whoever posted this. For as far as I know, this may explain the push back since he is no longer a Wild player. My point and whoever made the decision to pick Talbot for the allstar game is Talbot has been better recently than Murray, when that assertion was made. On recent play and health wise, This is obviously the case.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Read it again, here. Talbot 30th win in 49 games. 2nd fastest in Club history to reach that mark. He was recognized for this with an All star appearance which in comparison to how Murray has played in that span, and to the posts saying Murray has been better recently. This Tweet is perfectly appropriate.

I don't care about who posted this. My point and whoever made the decision to pick Talbot for the allstar game is Talbot has been better recently than Murray, when that assertion was made.

Again, you're not taking ANY context into account. Murray had an injury riddled season on a tire fire team. Talbot was propped up by the highest scoring offence in the Wild's history. It is totally within the realm of possibility that is Murray is in Talbots spot, he performs as good as if not better.

Very flawed logic using "Allstar tweet = better"

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013
Was a big Gustavsson fan early on, but he fell back big time last year. Looked very shaky like he needs time to re-find his game. Forsberg gave the team confidence to play better in front of him. Recall that Sens had one of the better records in the league in the second half after a disastrous first half. Having a calm and experienced vet that likely won't totally lose his game as a second option means a LOT.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Again, you're not taking ANY context into account. Murray had an injury riddled season on a tire fire team. Talbot was propped up by the highest scoring offence in the Wild's history. It is totally within the realm of possibility that is Murray is in Talbots spot, he performs as good as if not better.

Very flawed logic using "Allstar tweet = better"
This is your opinion. And the what if scenario you made, is just that a what if, a big maybe or maybe probably not.

P10p

May 15, 2012
This is your opinion. And the what if scenario you made, is just that a what if, a big maybe or maybe probably not.

I would love to hear your opinion with thoughts and context added, and a tweet showing nothing but team success removed.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Still doesn’t negate the fact that using an all-start selection is flawed. We all know It’sa popularity contest. Remember when John Scott went to the ASG?

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I’m pretty sure his time machine is in the shop.

Do you think team D will be dramatically improved over last season?

I think the team is going to be better but it's going to be tough. The Wild were one of the best teams in the league at preventing quality scoring chances. I think Talbot might be in for a transitional period but who knows? Maybe he will thrive with the extra work.

I think the Sens are going to be even more run and gun and its going to be fun as hell.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Do you think team D will be dramatically improved over last season?

I think the Sens are going to be even more run and gun and its going to be fun as hell.

Well, they will have to be if that want to finish better.

Ottawa still needs that last defensive piece on the blueline.

Hopefully having the puck more in the other team's end will also help in that department as well.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Well, they will have to be if that want to finish better.

Ottawa still needs that last defensive piece on the blueline.

Hopefully having the puck more in the other team's end will also help in that department as well.

Yup. I was at that wild Cats/Sens SO game earlier this year and way too much time spent in the Dzone. (The crowd was great)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Still doesn’t negate the fact that using an all-start selection is flawed. We all know It’sa popularity contest. Remember when John Scott went to the ASG?
Really, let's be reasonable here, this was not a John Scott situation. The fans picked him. The numbers Talbot posted do warrant All star selection. I am not even saying he is the best Goalie out there, but he is better than Murray was on merit to be picked. Not sure why this triggers people. As for some players making the allstar game yes, some are picked that are not better than some players so that a team can have a representative. But to read that he was propped up by Minnesota by the other poster were basically the same if not a tick better save percentage than MAF. Regardless, the point I was making in terms of recent play and health he is better than Murray statistically and if you want to count an allstar appearance that too.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Really, let's be reasonable here, this was not a John Scott situation. The fans picked him. The numbers Talbot posted do warrant All star selection. I am not even saying he is the best Goalie out there, but he is better than Murray was on merit to be picked. Not sure why this triggers people. As for some players making the allstar game yes, some are picked that are not better than some players so that a team can have a representative. But to read that he was propped up by Minnesota by the other poster were basically the same if not a tick better save percentage than MAF. Regardless, the point I was making in terms of recent play and health he is better than Murray statistically and if you want to count an allstar appearance that too.
Nobody is triggered. We’re just claiming Talbot > Murray isn’t as clear cut as one may think and saying because Talbot went to the ASG as proof, really isn’t any proof at all.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Nobody is triggered. We’re just claiming Talbot > Murray isn’t as clear cut as one may think and saying because Talbot went to the ASG as proof, really isn’t any proof at all.
On recent play, stats, health and wins. I disagree. Talbot is more deserving than Murray to be on last year's All star team. I think even you would admit to this.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Talbot was not a great goalie for the Wild, save Pct and GAA never tell the tale for Wild goalies, the defensive structure has always propped them up massively. Bit of a boon and a curse for goalies here, they face much easier chances, but they are expected to have .930 save% just to break even in the expected categories. Talbot gave up a lot of clunkers and was very exposed on the top portion of the net, it was clear that he was not the answer for the Wild in net but maybe the Sens will be a better fit for his play style. Good locker room player supposedly until the recent drama at least.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Lol sounds like Talbot wasn't happy about Guerin signing Fleury.

Honestly, I think this is good asset management from the Wild (re-sign Fleury and get assets for Talbot in an inflated goalie market), but I'm not really sure how much better this makes them.
They've lost Fiala and a 1A/B goalie without being able to add because of cap hell. They also can't be expected to win 16 OT games again. They have 100% gotten worse.

They will still sweep the series against EDM though because they always do.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
They've lost Fiala and a 1A/B goalie without being able to add because of cap hell. They also can't be expected to win 16 OT games again. They have 100% gotten worse.

They will still sweep the series against EDM though because they always do.
They only went to OT so much because of the underwhelming goaltending, all 3 goalies combined for -30 goals actual vs expected. Switch Fiala for Rossi and hope the goaltending rebounds while the young players continue to develop their game. There will be less GF but lots of room for GA improvement too. It’s likely that they drop a few points in the standings but realistically the team should still be very good this year.

Reactions: Connor McConnor

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
idk, kinda nonplussed about this tbh. His advanced stats don't look great, being in the tank for 5 more goals than expected on a team with an average defence could hurt. Only one year on the deal though... :/

Reactions: Gurglesons

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Not sure why anyone ever thought this was a good trade. Talbot has been lame for years.
Talbot has been hot and cold

There were a couple years when he was actually legit but they don’t last long

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Nothing against Talbot, but after a few rocky starts where he always seemed to let in a bad goal, Gus has turned into a solid guy. Certainly better than Fleury, and Wild fans are now dreaming of a Gustavsson/ Wallstedt duo in net for the next ten years.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The problem in Ottawa isn't the goalies. It is the lack of cohesion defensively that leads to goalies struggling.

Talbot has had two really bad games in row though. No doot aboot it.

Reactions: sxvnert
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad