Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] F Vladimir Tarasenko signs with the Senators (1 year, $5M)

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
On a 1 year deal it's a good bet and it costs no assets. For a team like Ottawa that doesn't typically attract a ton of FAs it's a win.

If he puts up 50-55 points he'll be worth his contract and will provide some depth to round up the top 6. He should be motivated for his next contract too.

You take that any day. Basically no risk and decent reward. I don't think anyone is expecting him to put up 80 points and of course he slowed down but he's paid accordingly. Good piece of business...

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Looking forward to revisiting this post this season when the bruins go in with Zacha Coyle as their 1,2 punch down the middle.

So he sulked for 1 season the other 10 he was good....? Now he is going to a new team with alot of motivation... Sounds good to me as a sens fan.

He wasn't sulking on the Rangers and looked pretty much the same as he did on the Blues.

I hope he rebounds and has a long career at a high level - and it's also a no-risk move for the Senators. But there's more than a small indication that he's declining and motivation isn't the only or even the main issue. He definitely doesn't have the shot or speed he used to have. I honestly think he could have a surprise revolution if he'd basically just drive the net all the time and use his strength, but, if anything, he's steered even farther away from that style as he's aged and sustained injuries.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
It's a good gamble for the Sens. I thought he looked more like himself in the playoffs for Rangers.

And it's a good move for the Tank as he could put up big numbers being set up by Tim Stutzle, and earn himself a high paying contract after the season.

Reactions: NitroF

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Don't know if this is true, but heard that the Sharks offered him $6M. Things must be pretty sidewise in San Jose if they can't snag a player by offering 20% more.
I would imagine he’s attempting to set himself up for next year, which I understand he can do with more ice time in San Jose, but as an established player I believe the little bit more ice time he would get with the Sharks would be heavily outweighed by the quality of line mates, power play potency and a chance to make the playoffs that the Senators can provide for him.

It’s really all how people feel the narrative should be though, because some people think Erik Karlsson only scored so many points because he was on a dog water Ottawa team and some people say Cale Makar only scores points because he plays on a team with MacKinnon and Rantanen. It really depends on how people view it, Tank scoring 25 goals on San Jose probably would be viewed as less impressive than 25 on Ottawa though because reasons.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
I would imagine he’s attempting to set himself up for next year, which I understand he can do with more ice time in San Jose, but as an established player I believe the little bit more ice time he would get with the Sharks would be heavily outweighed by the quality of line mates, power play potency and a chance to make the playoffs that the Senators can provide for him.

It’s really all how people feel the narrative should be though, because some people think Erik Karlsson only scored so many points because he was on a dog water Ottawa team and some people say Cale Makar only scores points because he plays on a team with MacKinnon and Rantanen. It really depends on how people view it, Tank scoring 25 goals on San Jose probably would be viewed as less impressive than 25 on Ottawa though because reasons.

Agree, but merely noting that all that is sort of a way of saying that the future in San Jose is perceived by players as bleak.

Reactions: cavs

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
It's a good gamble for the Sens. I thought he looked more like himself in the playoffs for Rangers.

And it's a good move for the Tank as he could put up big numbers being set up by Tim Stutzle, and earn himself a high paying contract after the season.

Right;

I have no idea why anyone could think this is a bad deal for the Sens. Tank is no longer a reliable 30/40 sniper, but he can still be more than an adequate supplemental goal scorer. His on ice awareness and his ability to set up his teammates has also slowly improved over his career. He is also no longer the defensive liability that he was when he broke into the league.

One of his top 2/3 seasons was actually just one year ago, and the rest of the Blues this past year had just as a miserable year as he did (just look at the production up and down the lineup compared to 21-22). There isn't any reason to believe that wheel's about to come off the rails yet. He could well have another 3-4 years of good production ahead. If the team finds success next year, he may even be willing to extend at some reasonable rate.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
He wasn't sulking on the Rangers and looked pretty much the same as he did on the Blues.

I hope he rebounds and has a long career at a high level - and it's also a no-risk move for the Senators. But there's more than a small indication that he's declining and motivation isn't the only or even the main issue. He definitely doesn't have the shot or speed he used to have. I honestly think he could have a surprise revolution if he'd basically just drive the net all the time and use his strength, but, if anything, he's steered even farther away from that style as he's aged and sustained injuries.
I think most Sens fans are fine with a guy who aint what he used to so long as he is motivated/isn't causing ripples in the room. Beyond that we just need Tarasenko to be a decent middle 6 winger, anything else is gravy.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Is this really what Ottawa needs? Just seems like a DeBrincat replacement.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
How has he played?

He’s a little faster than I expected, plays a little heavier than i expected, pllay significantly better D than I though he would.

Haven’t seen as much of his his shot as I thought we’d see but also didn’t expect the playmaking/passing ability.
All in all I guess a much better all around player than I thought we’d be getting.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
He’s a little faster than I expected, plays a little heavier than i expected, pllay significantly better D than I though he would.

Haven’t seen as much of his his shot as I thought we’d see but also didn’t expect the playmaking/passing ability.
All in all I guess a much better all around player than I thought we’d be getting.
As a Jets' fan that had him terrorize my team on the regular, he's never been given enough credit for how beastly he is. Guy plays a crazy heavy game and outmuscles players regularly.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019

Yeah, not a surprise at all as a Blues' follower.

He has been rounding out his game gradually in the last 7-8 years. I think many still remember him from the 2014-19 timeframe, where he was objectively more explosive, but also not nearly as complete a player as he is today.

Reactions: Wondercarrot

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Yeah, not a surprise at all as a Blues' follower.

He has been rounding out his game gradually in the last 7-8 years. I think many still remember him from the 2014-19 timeframe, where he was objectively more explosive, but also not nearly as complete a player as he is today.
We need him to teach Batherson to go through a similar transformation.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Tarasenko has always preferred working the point on the PP despite every coaching staff playing him on the half wall in a shooters position. He's actually very good as the lone man back as a 1v1 defender though it's obviously not a skill he gets to show off very often. I've seen him calmly skate backwards while holding a tight gap and then eventually body the guy off the puck. You just don't expect that level of defensive acumen from an offensive player with his reputation but his dad's a coach and I'm sure that was a factor.

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
As a Jets' fan that had him terrorize my team on the regular, he's never been given enough credit for how beastly he is. Guy plays a crazy heavy game and outmuscles players regularly.
There's a reason his nickname is Tank, and it's not just because those four letters are in his name.

Reactions: Atoyot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad