OT: Other sports thread: Doyers Angels, Rams, Lakers, Bruins, Trojans, Capybaras

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Of all the dumb shit a pro athelete can get involved with, betting has to be right at the top of the list.

Addiction is a nasty thing. I’ve been in the gambling game for awhile now, and I’ve seen so many lives ruined.

I’ve heard some rumblings through the years about pro athletes using friends to place bets, and know for a fact there was a guard in the mid 2000’s for a SoCal D-1 team who tanked multiple games for a guy he owed money to. Addiction and debts can make you do dumb stuff. If any of this stuff being reported on Twitter about poor performances tied to games he bet is even partially true, you can kiss his career goodbye, and rightfully so. Betting on yourself and your team is one thing, but betting against yourself and your team is a line that simply can never be crossed.

And I’ve been saying it for the last couple years on threads on HF, something like this is going to be inevitable with the ease of access to betting and the mass promotion by the leagues and their broadcast partners. Almost overnight it went from a taboo subject, to live betting odds being broadcasted on widgets during game-play. The leagues and ESPN and the other broadcast partners should have accepted gambling is a reality and not completely shunned it, but also should not have pushed it down everyone’s throat non-stop.

Gambling advertising and promotion should have been handled the same way it was for tobacco.

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
They had a right to be pissed. Those conditions were a joke.
Agreed. I was really surprised it took that long. It wasn't like it was starting to come down late in the game or something and they just wanted to finish it off. It was starting hard in the 2nd.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup

A source with direct knowledge of the investigation told ESPN late Wednesday that Ohtani's claims were accurate.

The Times reported Wednesday that prosecutors have uncovered evidence that Mizuhara may have stolen more money from Ohtani than the $4.5 million initially reported. Mizuhara changed the settings on Ohtani's bank account so Ohtani would not receive alerts or confirmations about transactions, the Times also reported.

Reactions: kingsholygrail

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Wow, it has already been updated: Feds accuse Ohtani ex-interpreter of $16M theft

He stole over $16M and it sounds like they have a lot of evidence against the interpreter in that he changed the contact information to the bank account and called the banks and identified as Ohtani to authorize the transfers. Extremely naive of Ohtani if it is completely true that he had no idea and allowed his interpreter friend such access, but it is sort of believable because if anyone would it would likely be Ohtani to do that. Either way, the interpreter is going to be crucified.

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Wow, it has already been updated: Feds accuse Ohtani ex-interpreter of $16M theft

He stole over $16M and it sounds like they have a lot of evidence against the interpreter in that he changed the contact information to the bank account and called the banks and identified as Ohtani to authorize the transfers. Extremely naive of Ohtani if it is completely true that he had no idea and allowed his interpreter friend such access, but it is sort of believable because if anyone would it would likely be Ohtani to do that. Either way, the interpreter is going to be crucified.
Getting betrayed by someone you trust fully is a tale as old as time. Look at what happened to Jack Johnson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad