OT: Other Sports aka #Broncos #SellRockiesSell #Nuggets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
If people can sit through a NFL game, they can sit through a soccer match.

David Dahl just hit a HR in A-ball which led to me looking up CarGo's stats and then this http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...am=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=21,a I always wanted Tulo and CarGo to carry the Rockies when they're great, but two are having their worst seasons of their careers. Sad stuff

I always found the soccer boring motif really odd for a country that loves baseball and football.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
i dont think we love baseball much anymore - a least not as much as we used to

Maybe the collective conscious is distracted now more than we used to when it was the one and only sport but 2004-2016 were the highest attended MLB seasons in history. Yes there's more teams and more games but still the baseball is dying tagline seems to be wrong.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Football is very boring if you don't understand the game or have any investment in the outcome. The rules are extremely complicated too, and every play has implications for strategy that may not be readily apparent even if you understand the basic rules. I can totally understand why somebody would find it stupid and repetitive. I grew up watching it with my dad and learning all of the rules and strategies, so it's interesting to me, but even then, it's hard to enjoy football for me unless I have a reason to cheer for or against one of the teams involved.

In soccer, the rules are simple and easy to understand, but there are too many players on the field, and it turns into a chess match of probing the other team for weaknesses. Plus, it boggles the mind that professional players can miss the goal that often when it's almost literally the size of the broad side of a barn.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Disgusted by this comment. Fed FTW. Although Cilic beat him in the US finals...

I've followed his career very closely since he started coming up through the ranks and he is playing just as well as he ever has...at 35 years of age! The man is just such a beast I don't know how anyone could hate on him. No chance Nadal ever catches him in Slams, especially if he wins this one, IMO. I always knew the top guns couldn't hold onto their reigns as long as Fed, particularly Nadal. He's damn good when he's on but his type of game I always knew would break him down eventually. Let's go Fed!!!

He didn't beat him in the US Finals. He beat Nishikori there, he got past Roger in the SF.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
No, baseball is definitely not dying. If any major American sport took a step back it was the NFL, and with good reason--the product stinks. They've got a long, looooong ways to go before they're actually in any trouble but this last season proved that football isn't as invincible as everyone thinks.

Baseball was seemingly in trouble for a while there with talks of contraction and what not. But they didn't and are none the worse for wear.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Football is very boring if you don't understand the game or have any investment in the outcome. The rules are extremely complicated too, and every play has implications for strategy that may not be readily apparent even if you understand the basic rules. I can totally understand why somebody would find it stupid and repetitive. I grew up watching it with my dad and learning all of the rules and strategies, so it's interesting to me, but even then, it's hard to enjoy football for me unless I have a reason to cheer for or against one of the teams involved.

In soccer, the rules are simple and easy to understand, but there are too many players on the field, and it turns into a chess match of probing the other team for weaknesses. Plus, it boggles the mind that professional players can miss the goal that often when it's almost literally the size of the broad side of a barn.

Soccer and hockey's biggest weaknesses are that you have to sacrifice defense for offfense. We see it in international hockey when Latvia sits back and traps the whole game or in the game the other night Jamaica had no other intention other than playing defense. The nature of the game means you go forward and leave vulnerabilities at the back.

By contrast most American sports defense and offense are completely separated from each other. In football you have two different teams. In baseball you have completely different roles. Basketball is at least close but with the game the way it is it's mostly exchanging half court sets.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Baseball was seemingly in trouble for a while there with talks of contraction and what not. But they didn't and are none the worse for wear.

When Tim Tebow makes the Mets, baseball attendance will work itself out and become the most popular sport in America

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Can someone explain the Tebow phenomenon to me. I feel like I've completely missed that boat

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Can someone explain the Tebow phenomenon to me. I feel like I've completely missed that boat

There's a huge Christian population in the US, and Tebow is a devout Christian. Probably the most religious athlete there is out there in the US.

He's also had a lot of success at Florida so he has a very strong following there. Combine the fact that he played in the South and the South typically has a lot more conservative Christians and you've got a megastar.

I'm not a big Tebow fan myself, but I can say that I know some parents who have a little girl with significant spinal cord injuries. On his day off Tim took her family on a private jet to a football game. It's stuff like that which gives him so much support. Off the field he is one of the most generous human beings there is, and it doesn't seem to be just because it's "in his contract".

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
There's a huge Christian population in the US, and Tebow is a devout Christian. Probably the most religious athlete there is out there in the US.

He's also had a lot of success at Florida so he has a very strong following there. Combine the fact that he played in the South and the South typically has a lot more conservative Christians and you've got a megastar.

I'm not a big Tebow fan myself, but I can say that I know some parents who have a little girl with significant spinal cord injuries. On his day off Tim took her family on a private jet to a football game. It's stuff like that which gives him so much support. Off the field he is one of the most generous human beings there is, and it doesn't seem to be just because it's "in his contract".

I remember him from Florida but he was a terrible NFL player and seems to be a below average A level minor league baseball player.
Now I don't doubt he's probably a good guy but just seems weird to me why he's so famous.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
He was extremely famous before the NFL. College football in the South is gigantic. His following didn't care about his NFL success because he was such a college legend.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I remember him from Florida but he was a terrible NFL player and seems to be a below average A level minor league baseball player.
Now I don't doubt he's probably a good guy but just seems weird to me why he's so famous.

You must not follow College Football too closely. You think fans are wacky at the pro level, you should check out the lengths some go for their alma mater.

Heath Shuler had kids named after him. A booster paid insane amounts of money to hang a gigantic banner with Joey Harrington's likeness on the side of a NYC skyscraper.

Now, ramp that hype up by X1000 and you might get a rough idea of Tebowmania.

And it's not like he didn't accomplish anything at the NFL level. Rightly or wrongly, he's credited with pulling the Broncos out of their worst stretch in recent memory. The team went from a better, but more boring QB in Captain Neckbeard to Tebow whose appearance coincided with the Denver defense suddenly becoming dominant. And hey, he threw the winning TD pass to win a playoff game against the Steelers, which is way more than guys like Shuler and Harrington can say.

I'm still absolutely befuddled as to why Jacksonville didn't try him out. They literally had nothing to lose.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
They had something to lose. Gabbert is a better player than he is, and the team was looking to be trending upwards, why get a distraction that is basically a 3rd stringer at best?

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
They had something to lose. Gabbert is a better player than he is, and the team was looking to be trending upwards, why get a distraction that is basically a 3rd stringer at best?

They need butts in the seats desperately. Gabbert was a bust. Playing a better player is meaningless if he doesn't move the needle at all. By that rationale the Broncos should've stuck with Kyle Orton's popgun arm.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
They need butts in the seats desperately. Gabbert was a bust. Playing a better player is meaningless if he doesn't move the needle at all. By that rationale the Broncos should've stuck with Kyle Orton's popgun arm.

Gabbert was their guy for better or worse, and for a short while he and the whole team looked to be moving in the right direction, by the time Gabbert was proven to be a garbage time stat padder Tebow was proven to be a 3rd stringer at best. And if I was a GM I wouldn't want the center of attention being a guy who's the least talented player on the roster.

The two situations are analogue​ at all.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Gabbert was their guy for better or worse, and for a short while he and the whole team looked to be moving in the right direction, by the time Gabbert was proven to be a garbage time stat padder Tebow was proven to be a 3rd stringer at best. And if I was a GM I wouldn't want the center of attention being a guy who's the least talented player on the roster.

The two situations are analogue​ at all.

Again, Jacksonville is on life support. May as well go full three-ring circus while you try and rebuild while also garnering interest in the team.

And I doubt Tebow would have been the least-talented guy on that roster.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
if I was the Jax GM I wouldn't sign him either. It's basically making a mockery of your team - at that point you're telling fans you're not serious about winning football you're only serious about taking their money. Not to mention that EVERYONE in the state of Florida isn't a Tebow fan. There's plenty of UofM and FSU fans in Jacksonville that you'd isolate from the team.

Anyways in other news - after two years in the NFL we finally have a Cody Latimer highlight video!

http://m.tmz.com/#article/2017/07/16/cody-latimer-denver-broncos-strip-club-fight-video/

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Gawd, just cut the guy already...

Anyhow, I've wasted enough time on Tebow. TBH Jacksonville should have moved to L.A. or St. Louis or something resembling an NFL market. Tebow's NFL prospects are a joke but so is that franchise. That's all I'll say about that.

I'm pretty ambivalent on the NFL in general these days. I will of course watch the Broncos but you couldn't pay me to watch anyone else, nor will I waste my time with pre-game shows that don't involve Charissa Thompson.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I mean the mets signed him despite not being a good baseball player so Jacksonville signing him doesn't seem unreasonable

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I do want to see Tampa play this year. Their offense is gonna be crazy talented. I'm also loving what TN is doing.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
What do you Rockies fans think of buying help at the deadline? I think they are freaking nuts if they trade Rogers.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
What do you Rockies fans think of buying help at the deadline? I think they are freaking nuts if they trade Rogers.

Depends what they get for Rodgers. I would stand pat other than maybe some bullpen reinforcements which shouldn't cost much. This team is not catching the dodgers and probably is safe in a wild card berth. Team is set up to contend well for the next five years no need to cash in now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad